Hmmm needing help/advise please :)

Dragonflye

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
well i never thought id want to post in this forum for the reasons I am doing but here I am... I've been overweight for a number of years, it's never really bothered me as I have not been massively overweight (BMI 26) but have been able to manage to keep it stable... never worrying what i eat (LOTS of carbs etc)... This last 6 months after going to docs and weight risen slightly I have been putting more effort into loosing the additional weight by eating healthier and do more exercise however during last 3 months ive piled weight on. I know many swear by a low carb diet but i dont think i could handle that (having to eat seperately from hubby and kids would not be practicle or financially feasable for me) I do consume approx 150carbs per day and 1500 calories...

LOL I don't even know what help/advise I'm asking for :) I've just got to the point where i hate my weight more than usual, always hated looking at myself in the mirror, even when i was tiny but now i AM overweight its horrendous. ok thats my bit over with. if anyone can advise/help great... if not thanks for reading :p

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Firstly, welcome to the forum and well done for such a candid post. I have no details about your current weight or anything so can't be specific but 150g of carbs and 1500calories per day is certainly not excessive ! Low carb is not for everyone so don't feel bad. Are you blood glucose levels ok ? Anyway, there's no magic solution to weight loss, as I'm sure you know. You can either eat less or exercise more. Not great advice I know but effective. Keep us posted with your progress and remember, just because you have fat, it doesn't mean you ARE fat ! You also have fingernails but you aren't fingernails ! Bit of an odd saying but I think there's some truth in it :)

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You can do some minor changes to reduce your carb intake without eating completely different from your family.

Have you had your thyroid tested recently? Weight gain without apparent reason can be one of the symptoms of hypothyroidism. If your TSH is above 2.5 or so Id say it is likely you thyroid isn't working properly.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Perhaps you need to reduce your calorie intake further to get the weight loss moving.

I don't know if you seen the Hairy Bikers tv series or book called the Hairy Dieters but they lost weight under the supervision of Professor Roy Taylor, he gradually reduced their calorie intake over a period of weeks which resulted in a 2 & 3 stone weight loss for both, might be worth buying the book to see how they did it Dragonfly.