Ran a marathon and now cannot get bloods down 4 days later - help

fletcher1980

Hello,

I ran the London Marathon on Sunday 13th April and ever since I cannot bring my bloods down. I wear an insulin pump (and I have changed it in case it was that) but with no luck.

I have my basal rate on 200% and I am needing to pump massive amounts when I eat anything also.

Usually I take 30 units a day of insulin approx. today so far I have taken 35 units and I haven't eaten much (a banana & glass of grapefruit juice). I am about to have something as I'm starved.

My blood at last check was 16, I'm unsure if I have keytones as i'm currently at work. Basically this has happened due to the extreme exercise on Sunday but I don't understand why and how long it will go on for.

Yesterday I did eventually go low after taking so much insulin but it just crept back up and it's a real struggle

Any ideas from anyone would be massively appreciated

thanks

simon

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry, I can't help, but I am sure someone who can will respond soon.

I am replying just to say Well Done for running the marathon.

WELL DONE!!

Reactions: 4 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Likewise, well done on completing the marathon.

I'm sure one of the runners will be around at some point, or you could message runner2009 who,appears to be an extreme runner. I'm not sure if he is T1, but he will have extreme endurance experience that may be helpful to you.

Reactions: 2 people

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi Fletcher1980,
Firstly congratulations only your epic run, and secondly on your spanking time!

You say you are suffering high BGs since the run? I have come across this before, but only lasting for three days tops.
I don't know the exact reason that high BGs are experienced - if it's a post run hormonal stress response or if it's through the muscles' glycogen uptake being impaired. What does make reasonable sense though is that after a pretty pounding paced marathon your muscles (and actually your whole body!) will be in the process of trying to repair itself. Much as when you are unwell you get a raised BG, the same happens after some seriously strenuous physical activity.
Of course it could also be that you are actually coming down with something - all those people inclose proximity, could be you've caught a lurgy.

Anyway, point is, high BGs can happen after a strenuous bout of prolonged exercise. The fact that you still have high BGs four days later though, I would recomend having a chat with your Endo/Healthcare professional about it just in case they want to get you checked over. Ooo errr.

Congrats again - perhaps you would like to run in a Team Blood Glucose top next time!

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hello,

I ran the London Marathon on Sunday 13th April and ever since I cannot bring my bloods down. I wear an insulin pump (and I have changed it in case it was that) but with no luck.

I have my basal rate on 200% and I am needing to pump massive amounts when I eat anything also.

Usually I take 30 units a day of insulin approx. today so far I have taken 35 units and I haven't eaten much (a banana & glass of grapefruit juice). I am about to have something as I'm starved.

My blood at last check was 16, I'm unsure if I have keytones as i'm currently at work. Basically this has happened due to the extreme exercise on Sunday but I don't understand why and how long it will go on for.

Yesterday I did eventually go low after taking so much insulin but it just crept back up and it's a real struggle

Any ideas from anyone would be massively appreciated

thanks

simon

Hi Simon,
One other thought - if you don't get a full explanation for what you are experiencing here, there is a Facebook group called Sporty Diabetic Type 1's. - post your question there, or on the TeamBG Facebook page. It's such an unusual case, you may need to 'widen the net'.

fletcher1980

thanks all. Bebo321 I have ran 9 marathons before this one (all with T1D) and I've been a T1D for 19 years. My body shouldn't be that shocked from the stress - I did carb loan massively in the few days building up to the Marathon. I will check out sport diabetic type 1's - thanks again.

I did it for JDRF this year - I hadn't heard of TeamBG until today.

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
thanks all. Bebo321 I have ran 9 marathons before this one (all with T1D) and I've been a T1D for 19 years. My body shouldn't be that shocked from the stress - I did carb loan massively in the few days building up to the Marathon. I will check out sport diabetic type 1's - thanks again.

I did it for JDRF this year - I hadn't heard of TeamBG until today.

Really odd Simon - my explanation won't apply then.
Can't see how extra carb loading would have this effect either - your body would 'max out' your liver/muscle stores on glucose (glycogen), then the excess would be shipped off to fat stores. You can't hide extra stores of glycogen in your toes (at lest I don't think you can!!) . Hopefully Sporty T1s will be able to help.

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I wonder if your high blood glucose levels could be due to something like an infection, which is over-riding the normal reaction of needind less insulin post endurance exercise?
Well done on your marathon success, in any case.
There's also a forum on www.runsweet.com where you can ask for advice.

Floh

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hey there. Same happens to me occasionally after 24 hour bike rides. From what I've read, you've not been eating much today. Was the same true the days before?

If so, I suspect that your glycogen stores are still depleted too far. You need to eat more carbs to get your blood glucose down. I presume you're currently still burning too much fat, leading to a ketone-induced insulin resistance. "Higher than normal" meal boluses will be required until your glucose starts dropping. Easier if you can monitor ketones (ideally in the blood, but urine will do).

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
logically, as both a T1 athlete and an engineer, have you though micro damage to the musles either 1) impaired their ability to utilise insulin, or 2) gone so far into fat burning mechanisms that they've essentially switched temporarily into wanting to utilise that mechanism predominantly?

If so, two things spring to mind, a a gentle, aerobic run with a reasonable amount of carbs on board and a well judged amount of insulin, or a tempo type run to try and trigger the sugar burning metabolism?

I've had similar reeactions myself, but only for a few hours or so. Even after my 40 miler last summer I didn't see anything as severe as you're seeing

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
doing it again this year

Don't forget to sponsor me.

patjenkins1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Aside from the main issue. Are you taking statins because if you are you should not be drinking grapefruit juice or eating grapefruit. They react basket together and the affect can cause stating overload .

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

kendall7

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Processed or Fast Food
Well done on running the marathon.
I don't have an answer, but I to am going through a similar problem. I did the Melbourne Ironman a month ago. Blood glucose control was great up to and during the IM, but since then I've had to increase my bolus insulin by 10% to keep my blood glucose under control.
I will follow his thread in hope of getting an answer as to why and also check those suggested links mentioned.

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi there kendall7

Congrats on the Melboune Ironman!
I suggested that Simon post his case on Sporty Diabetic Type 1's Facebook page. I've just checked and it sounds as though things finally got back to normal. He said moving the pump insertion from bum to stomach helped.
If that doesn't help you I notice Dr Dan West made the comment against his post 'massive physical stress. cortisol and growth hormone (anti-insulin) will likely be elevated. should pass with time'.
If you have still got elevated BGs for more than a week or so, what is your current exercise regime? Are you still 'training'? Remember your insulin sensitivity will tail off unless you're still getting out there.

Have you checked out www.teambloodglucose.com - Entering a small team for the Zurich Ironman end July.
Next time why not do yours in TeamBG kit !

kendall7

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Processed or Fast Food
Thank you for the feed back Bebo321.
I wondered if the 13hrs 4min 43sec of the IM would have an effect on my BG. As for my current exersize regime, I swim, cycle, run and weight train for approximately a total of 9 - 12 hrs per week since the IM. I'll just hang in there for now and see if all goes back to what was normal, with time for me. It was good to learn that I'm not the only one who had a sudden unexplained change in BG control after an endurance event.
The TeamBG kit is quite stylish, just might invest in it for my next IM.