Help please on getting through dvla medical.

ChrisMaleType1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello everyone, I'd seriously welcome any suggestions/advice about how I can possibly get though the dvla medical. I haven't made the appointment yet but I've received the letter saying I should make the appointment for a dvla medical with Dr Feher from Chelsea and Westminster Hospital. My licence (a normal car one with a restricted motorbike licence added to it) was revoked and I was waiting to receive a letter about my application which I did this week. To try and keep it short, I'm on an insulin pump because my bs was running too low (I had a few visits to ER) and my hba1c was regularly in the 5's (it still is). My control since getting the pump has definitely improved because I haven't had to make any emergency visits to the hospital or required outside assistance at all. I've been on a pump now for over 6 months.

I've just read on this forum that the doctor at the dvla medical will check my last 3 months blood sugar readings on my meter. Is this true? Do all dvla doctors to this because my regular hospital consultant has never actually asked to see them himself ? If it is true, I think I may have a problem. I openly admit to having hypos but I think I probably have a few too many - well, a lot too many actually. I've checked my meter and it looks like I've had 18 readings in the 2's this last month and some more reading in the 3's. Despite this, I think my hypo awareness is excellent. I don't always respond to the hypos straight away because I'm often too busy or lazy and often just 'sit it out'. As a type 1 with a pump I obviously check my bs regularly, at least 5 times a day.

Is there any way to explain this to a doctor? Since getting the letter from the dvla a week ago, I have concentrated a little more on avoiding hypos and this does work to an extent. As a last resort, should I consider making the appointment in 3 months time? Would this be possible do you think? I should say that I don't think I'm really in any rush for a licence because I live in London and don't need to drive for work. It would simply be nice if I could drive again.

Thanks for bearing with me and reading my dilemma. I should just say, I've never been close to an accident because of a hypo, I've always followed the dvla instuctions for checking my blood sugar when driving and, last and not least, I'm open to all suggestions.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
I can only answer with regard to LGV license as I have to see a DVLA appointed doc for this annually. My doc did actually go through every single reading for the previous 3 months which surprised me a little. Having hypo's is fine as long as you maintain hypo awareness and are able to self treat. I was asked lots of questions on testing guidelines too so swat up on those. Good luck :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

ChrisMaleType1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for that Mo. Yes, I'll definitely swat up on all the guidelines. I've spoken to another member here who also says that the doctor checked 3 month's blood sugar readings with them as well. I have a strong feeling that I wouldn't pass at the moment if the doctor looked at my meter so I may try delay seeing him until I can improve my readings a bit.