What size/type of Sharps Box?

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Realising today that my wee sharps box has too small an opening to dispose of the insertion devices.
What size/name of sharps box do you all use to dispose of these? Want to have one ordered in before I start my pump on the 29th.
As stated on the sharps box contaminated sharps only to go in the box.
So 1 ltr box will last years.
All I put in mine is the dismantled inserter needle. (very easy to remove from casing) and just for safety the cartridge needle oh and my lancet from finger poker.
No tubing or infusion line goes in the box or cannulas unless you are using steel cannulas.

Reactions: 2 people
H

Hooked

As stated on the sharps box contaminated sharps only to go in the box.
So 1 ltr box will last years.
All I put in mine is the dismantled inserter needle. (very easy to remove from casing) and just for safety the cartridge needle oh and my lancet from finger poker.
No tubing or infusion line goes in the box or cannulas unless you are using steel cannulas.

Oh right, I didn't know the needle could be removed from the casing. Nurse never mentioned it. How do you do it?

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Oh right, I didn't know the needle could be removed from the casing. Nurse never mentioned it. How do you do it?
Depends which sets you have :) The inset 30 have 2 little clips just below the needle, release those and pull back and the who lot comes out the just flick the needle based on a small bit of plastic off and dump in sharps box.
The insets 11 which are in the round casing can be dismantled as well, as someone on another forum does this very easily. But if the needle retracts into the casing and can not be reactivated then it's enclosed in it's own sharps bin so can go in the rubbish as normal.

H

Hooked

Depends which sets you have :) The inset 30 have 2 little clips just below the needle, release those and pull back and the who lot comes out the just flick the needle based on a small bit of plastic off and dump in sharps box.
The insets 11 which are in the round casing can be dismantled as well, as someone on another forum does this very easily. But if the needle retracts into the casing and can not be reactivated then it's enclosed in it's own sharps bin so can go in the rubbish as normal.
It's the second one I have. I recall the nurse showing us the needle folding down to the side. So this def makes it ok to go into the normal rubbish bin?
There is a rather nasty bin man we have, has been difficult in the past when I was physically unable to move the bin a few feet to where they usually pick them up etc. Don't want to give him an opportunity to issue me with any kind of fine or refuse to take my bins any more!

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
It's the second one I have. I recall the nurse showing us the needle folding down to the side. So this def makes it ok to go into the normal rubbish bin?
There is a rather nasty bin man we have, has been difficult in the past when I was physically unable to move the bin a few feet to where they usually pick them up etc. Don't want to give him an opportunity to issue me with any kind of fine or refuse to take my bins any more!
If the needle can't be reused or poke someone as it's encased then it would be fine. Someone else would have to advise on that one as I found the inset 11 very difficult to use due to arthritis in my joints. Have a good look at a used one and see what can be done with it though. As I said in a previous post someone on another forum dismantles theirs and just puts the needle part in the sharps. :)

H

Hooked

If the needle can't be reused or poke someone as it's encased then it would be fine. Someone else would have to advise on that one as I found the inset 11 very difficult to use due to arthritis in my joints. Have a good look at a used one and see what can be done with it though. As I said in a previous post someone on another forum dismantles theirs and just puts the needle part in the sharps. :)
Thanks for your reply, good to know. I've one here to play with. Will have a good hoke at it after I practice insertion for sure.

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I put the whole inset II in the sharps bin as I didnt know you could dismantle one. The only other thing I put in the sharps is the needle from the syringe as its the only part which could actually hurt someone. I know it cant be reused as such but better safe and all that.

H

Hooked

I put the whole inset II in the sharps bin as I didnt know you could dismantle one. The only other thing I put in the sharps is the needle from the syringe as its the only part which could actually hurt someone. I know it cant be reused as such but better safe and all that.
What size/type of sharps box do you use? No way would they fit into the small opening on my current one.

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
a square 5 ltr one. the dr gave it to me pre pump. I know I can just go into my dr and swop the box.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I keep the Inset II blue needle sleeve in the lid of the Inset II, then after insertion I put the sleeve back on the needle and bend the needle down 90 degrees and then tuck it down through one of the cutouts in the rim and over to one side under the rim and let go. It stays tucked under the rim. I then put the lid on firmly and put the whole thing in the normal rubbish.

In theory someone could hurt themselves if they dismantled it but otherwise even if they stepped on it I think they would be completely fine.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

H

Hooked

I keep the Inset II blue needle sleeve in the lid of the Inset II, then after insertion I put the sleeve back on the needle and bend the needle down 90 degrees and then tuck it down through one of the cutouts in the rim and over to one side under the rim and let go. It stays tucked under the rim. I then put the lid on firmly and put the whole thing in the normal rubbish.

In theory someone could hurt themselves if they dismantled it but otherwise even if they stepped on it I think they would be completely fine.

I just worry that with rubbish being crushed and moved around that it might end up exposed. If that's the advice given, I'm happy to do that, but just want to make sure I'm disposing of them correctly. Good to know that they can be tucked in like that though, thank you.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I just worry that with rubbish being crushed and moved around that it might end up exposed. If that's the advice given, I'm happy to do that, but just want to make sure I'm disposing of them correctly. Good to know that they can be tucked in like that though, thank you.
That's not official advice, it's just what I do. You are right about the crushing risk. I probably should put them in a sharps box.

Reactions: 4 people

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ok just changed my inset and here is what I found. Easy to disassemble from the coloured body but the white plastic is a stayer. Slightly smaller for a sharps box and u need to be careful. To do it
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1397765437.877447.jpg
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1397765548.401511.jpg

Squeeze the ridged area and push down (needle away from you!) as if inserting. There are two sliding lugs either side and these hold the white plastic in place.

Type 1 diagnosed 1990
HBa1c current 8.3
Pump and CGM used (animas vibe)

Reactions: 3 people

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Surely the whole point of a shaprs box is minimising both the risk of needle stick injuries and potential transfer of any infectious agents. Sharps boxes are incinerated for a reason.

H

Hooked

Ok just changed my inset and here is what I found. Easy to disassemble from the coloured body but the white plastic is a stayer. Slightly smaller for a sharps box and u need to be careful. To do it View attachment 4225View attachment 4226
Squeeze the ridged area and push down (needle away from you!) as if inserting. There are two sliding lugs either side and these hold the white plastic in place.

Type 1 diagnosed 1990
HBa1c current 8.3
Pump and CGM used (animas vibe)

Lol, I managed to do that last night practising a set change. The coloured bit came away from me, white bit remained, then I took it off. Not sure how I managed to do that. :confused: Definitely makes it a bit smaller for disposal though, and outer plastic but can get recycled.

:)

Julie1471

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Having high blood sugars!!!!!
I wouldn't have a chance of doing that, but hubby might. Up until yesterday I had an 11.5, but my son decided to shut it fully up and now I can't get that one picked up and a new one till May 1st, my Dr doe's not prescribe them. My local council deliver and empty them and then the reuse them. The smallest size they offer is 11.5 otherwise it's 22. They do have some 1lit, but to get one of those is as rare as hens teeth. My DSN told me that I could replace the cap over the needle and dispose of in normal household waste.:oops:

H

Hooked

I wouldn't have a chance of doing that, but hubby might. Up until yesterday I had an 11.5, but my son decided to shut it fully up and now I can't get that one picked up and a new one till May 1st, my Dr doe's not prescribe them. My local council deliver and empty them and then the reuse them. The smallest size they offer is 11.5 otherwise it's 22. They do have some 1lit, but to get one of those is as rare as hens teeth. My DSN told me that I could replace the cap over the needle and dispose of in normal household waste.:oops:

I get the 1 litre version on prescription, but opening at top won't let me put these things in it. Had another practice at a change today. My eyesight is bad, so couldn't manage to fold before down our of harms way.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I get the 1 litre version on prescription, but opening at top won't let me put these things in it. Had another practice at a change today. My eyesight is bad, so couldn't manage to fold before down our of harms way.

Can you see well enough to use a needle clipper?