New Bleeder!

Helsin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just got my monitor and tested 5.6 before lunch. Question: 15 minutes after my scrambled eggs and cheese and I'm sitting with a hot cup of creamy coffee, which will take me a while to drink. Do I test approx. 2 hours after finishing the coffee or the eggs?

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
start the time after your first mouthful of food is the normal way

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have a problem with this what if I have a 3 course meal with friends and a couple of glasses of wine this may take perhaps an hour and a half to finish would my BGs 1/2 an our later be the same as if I had eaten the same carbs for instance in just 15 mins and then tested 1 hour 45 mins later
CAROL

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a problem with this what if I have a 3 course meal with friends and a couple of glasses of wine this may take perhaps an hour and a half to finish would my BGs 1/2 an our later be the same as if I had eaten the same carbs for instance in just 15 mins and then tested 1 hour 45 mins later
CAROL

I would recklessly splurge and test 2 hrs after starting the meal, and 2 hrs after.

The thing about lovely 3 course meals with friends is that they are less likely to be diabetic friendly, you may eat more than usual, AND there may be hidden carbs.

popsy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Crowds of people, my idea of hell would be a huge gathering of any sort!

Heights, scare me to death!
Liars, cheats. poseurs, any kind of violence, thieves and people who take advantage of others.

The way the world is going to hell in a handbasket.

Global warming, the melting ice caps, whaling..I mean what for?!

Cruelty

Having to give up my eat everything philosophy..and I really really dislike consequences.
New Bleeder...hah, that's funny! :D

Yep, 2 hours after you start seems to be the norm. It's not always possible though and at those times I don't worry too much if I have done what I am supposed to do and eaten what I know is not harmful to me. If I haven't then there isn't much I can do about it and I test as soon as is practicable.

:)

Reactions: 2 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My meter has a beeper option to remind me to test after meals and the default setting on that is for 2 hours after a pre-meal test and I usually go along with that. If I think I've eaten something "sinful" then I'll test an hour after starting my meal as well.

Some things, usually higher carb, starchy stuff will start being processed earlier so there'll be a rise in your glucose levels after about an hour, instead of the longer time for low carb food.

I was also confused to start with and sometimes tested 2hrs after I'd finished a long drawn out meal. But it's not an exact science just a guide, so if you'd feel happier and have got plenty of test strips then there's no rule that says you couldn't try both options and see what sort of difference it might make to your readings, for example if you've had a larger meal or are checking how you might react to a new food over time. Then when you're less befuddled/feel you've learned what sort of results to expect you can use the 2 hour guide.

Robbity

Julie1471

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Having high blood sugars!!!!!
I went for a Nando's with my friends and for got to bolus as they aren 't diabetic, it shot up to the 20's a couple of hours later. So entered BG and carbs and my pump did it, it is slightly more difficult on MDI, but at the time had no idea of the amount of carbs I was going to eat. But do what feels right for you.

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
i test 2 hours after i finish eating.

nigelho

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just got my monitor and tested 5.6 before lunch. Question: 15 minutes after my scrambled eggs and cheese and I'm sitting with a hot cup of creamy coffee, which will take me a while to drink. Do I test approx. 2 hours after finishing the coffee or the eggs?
My DAFNE course held at Addenbrookes suggests testing 4 hours after your meal. It all depends on HOW QUICKLY your quick acting insulin works on your carbs. For scrambled eggs and cheese there should be almost no difference to when you started the meal as there's almost no carbs to worry about. However, coffee spikes some people. I carb count and test approx 4 hours after a meal as my novorapid takes this time to work FOR ME. After 2 hours I'd be a lot more than the 2mmols higher then when I started my meal and this caused me a lot of problems as I used to correct after 2 hours. Don't ever do so as you could end up in hypo hours later.

Reactions: 2 people