Meet Dr who'd rather have HIV than diabetes.

Sunhat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My brother had HIV and diabetes, he died with end stage renal failure, totally blind and had just had a leg amputated- his HIV was well under control! BUT ....... had he looked after himself and got tested earlier he would not have had the problems he had upon diagnosis of diabetes. The Dr said he had been diabetic for a long time. The he had very bad care from the district nurses- I had begged them to check his feet- not our job- I went to the Dr and spoke to him, he went to visit my brother, the carer was there cooking my brothers meal- the Dr still did not check my brothers feet! They all suddenly became very worried after my brother died! Even when the carer noticed my brothers feet were bleeding (through socks) the district nurse still refused to look!! The carer had a right row and nurse eventually looked and that was when they got very worried!
As to what I would rather have? I am not going to let diabetes get to me the way it got to my brother- I know better and I certainly do not want HIV

Reactions: 2 people

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
My brother had HIV and diabetes, he died with end stage renal failure, totally blind and had just had a leg amputated- his HIV was well under control! BUT ....... had he looked after himself and got tested earlier he would not have had the problems he had upon diagnosis of diabetes. The Dr said he had been diabetic for a long time. The he had very bad care from the district nurses- I had begged them to check his feet- not our job- I went to the Dr and spoke to him, he went to visit my brother, the carer was there cooking my brothers meal- the Dr still did not check my brothers feet! They all suddenly became very worried after my brother died! Even when the carer noticed my brothers feet were bleeding (through socks) the district nurse still refused to look!! The carer had a right row and nurse eventually looked and that was when they got very worried!
As to what I would rather have? I am not going to let diabetes get to me the way it got to my brother- I know better and I certainly do not want HIV

What a very sad experience for your brother and for you to witness.:( Very sorry for your loss.

VinnyJames

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This quote worried me;

Regardless of how well it is controlled, type 2 diabetes is a progressive disease, which results in the need to increase pharmacological therapies over time. A recent study conducted in Australia showed that, after six years, 44 per cent of patients no longer responded to oral medication and required insulin injections. Oral medications eventually fail in most people, meaning that injections are almost inevitable at some point.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

julifriend

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That article is so ill-informed I'm glad I don't have the author responsible for the management of my diabetes.

Reactions: 5 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I fully agree with the comments above.

And Sunhat, you have my deepest sympathy.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
The doctor who wrote the piece was also a psychiatrist so hardly an expert in either HIV or diabetes. More scaremongering !

mine

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
i think he might be right in a different perspective. when one got diabetes and complication sets in. you are going to have a long painful death. when i first got diabetes, i feel that i am carrying a time bomb which has no timer on it. it will starts its destruction of my body slowly and painfully.

on the other hand hiv is a bomb where we more or less know that we can start preparing on the worst, and stop spreading the disease.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
i think he might be right in a different perspective. when one got diabetes and complication sets in. you are going to have a long painful death. when i first got diabetes, i feel that i am carrying a time bomb which has no timer on it. it will starts its destruction of my body slowly and painfully.

on the other hand hiv is a bomb where we more or less know that we can start preparing on the worst, and stop spreading the disease.

I see where you are coming from, but I disagree. The majority of people with diabetes have the option of controlling their blood glucose levels (particularly type 2s). It requires information, education and dedication, but it is usually possible. Unfortunately conventional western medicine suggests a diet that leads to a progression of the disease, and therefore complications. So it falls to the individual to take responsibility.

Of course, this doesn't apply to everyone. There are some whose blood sugar levels do not respond to diet, and balancing medication is a lifelong challenge, but they are in the minority. And I really feel for them.

mine

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I see where you are coming from, but I disagree. The majority of people with diabetes have the option of controlling their blood glucose levels (particularly type 2s). It requires information, education and dedication, but it is usually possible. Unfortunately conventional western medicine suggests a diet that leads to a progression of the disease, and therefore complications. So it falls to the individual to take responsibility.

Of course, this doesn't apply to everyone. There are some whose blood sugar levels do not respond to diet, and balancing medication is a lifelong challenge, but they are in the minority. And I really feel for them.

to a certain extend, i do agree with you. but i have relative who suffer a great deal for a long time before they eventually depart. i really think its base on different perspective. there are no right or wrong here.

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
Only problem is to all the above posts... you are right royally screwed if you get hit and killed by a bus all that worrying over diabetes/complications and it isnt even that which kills you.... Eish waste of worrying time really!:hilarious:

Sunhat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When I told my friend I had been diagnosed as diabetic she asked if I was devestated, she would be! I told her I thought I was very lucky, as I knew right from the start that I was diabetic- I had been diagnosed with IGT (went to see the DR as I thought I had started the menopause, I hadn´t, but they diagnosed IGT instead) so I knew right from the start and hopefully that will have helped me. My friends husband now has prostate cancer (spread) I did not say ´you must be devestated´ I was so very tempted though. It took about 8 years to turn to diabetis type 2 proper- which annoyed me, I had hoped to keep it at bay for longer!!

annelise

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unfriendly and bigotted persons; i.e. persons who do not have an open or enquiring mind - but all within reason - persons may have a reason to appear as such - we will never know their backgrounds or where they come from ...
This quote worried me;

"Regardless of how well it is controlled, type 2 diabetes is a progressive disease, which results in the need to increase pharmacological therapies over time. A recent study conducted in Australia showed that, after six years, 44 per cent of patients no longer responded to oral medication and required insulin injections. Oral medications eventually fail in most people, meaning that injections are almost inevitable at some point."

I share your worry here, Vinny. - I wonder if - when saying 'regardles of how well it is controlled' - they mean by meds only? - and not taking diet into consideration?

I am prone to believe that a great number of T2s will rely on meds alone and not worry overly much about a (rather strict) diet regime. I have found no studies about this, though. - But I believe that those who live by diet recommendations from 'official' sources are in a bad way, and so it would follow that increasing of meds will follow. - It is kind of sad that so many persons will not seek information - such as from forums like this - and will (blindly) follow the advice from dieticians and health providers.

annelise

Reactions: 8 people