New Trial: LCHF vs "Medium Carb Low Fat". Who Wins?

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Many ,including dieticans, think that LC is necessarily high protein, which we know it isn't. and of course with Normal kidney function, protein would not be an issue. However many diabetics have some degree of kidney malfunction, so shouldn't overburden their systems with too much protein.

There isn't actually any evidence for this risk, but it does seem like a reasonable precaution, in the absence of evidence one way or the other.

For me a good enough reason to avoid high protein is that high protein just turns into carbs. So high protein acts as slow release, low GI carbs.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm a bit late to this one (been holidaying in France...)

Every time I hear that some new low carb research has come out, and every time someone argues against it, I'm surprised that either side needs to argue. Isn't it obvious that eating fewer things that raise your sugar levels, gives you better sugar levels?

I don't need a large-scale, well-designed, large cohort clinical trial to tell me that. Common sense will do. Unfortunately, common sense is precisely what is lacking from UK diabetes care, hence the terrible national efficacy results.

Reactions: 8 people

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
So you have a bowl of cream with fruit on top - sounds like heaven to me especially if that cream has been frozen. Do you prefer it whipped or runny?
I put the cream on the fruit. I rarely eat a dessert except Sundays and special days, but I had Salade Nicoise for lunch today followed by strawberries with a little Balsamic vinegar and some Xylitol sprinkled over. I had about 3 tablespoons of double cream on it.
I do someties though make fuit icecream with frozen cream. I use frozen berries from Lidl, which are very reasonable to buy and mascerate them with xylitol then puree and add to whipped cream. put into the freezer for half an hour, then take out and whisk.Repeat this a couple of times. YUM!
Hana

Reactions: 4 people