Progress after 4 days

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
I went low carb when I suspected I was diabetic. lost tons of weight and glucose levels fell sharply.
then I started to feel rubbish again. Introduced a bit of fat into my diet and almost immediately felt better than I have for years.

Gudrun

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hmmm.. probably a lot less than stuff I like
I think I have to play it by ear. I have to lose a lot of weight to get my BMI of 44 into something more respectable, but finding it quite difficult. I can't exercise (have got Chronic Fatigue/ME) and only feel good if I'm totally sedentary. So I have to aim at a lower weight loss. I'd be more than happy if I lose a pound a week.

For now cutting out anything to do with sugar, starch and flour seems to do the trick. If I reach a plateau I have to rethink my strategy.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The slower the loss, the more likely you are to keep it off. So don't try for too much, too fast.

Reactions: 3 people

Gudrun

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Help.... The road on which I travel is very bumpy and the wagon tosses me about. I fear I may fall off it with a loud thud...

Went to look after the grandchildren this morning and my daughter (who didn't know that I don't eat bread, etc. anymore) had baked croissants. There were about 30 of them, still warm, smelling delicious - I had none of them. Instead, I watched my grandchildren smear nutella over them and eat several while I remembered the oatmeal cereal I had at 6:30am (doesn't spike me).

For lunch I bought a quick roast chicken from Sainsburys and a fresh baguette. While I buttered the bagette for them (all soft inside and crusty on the outside) the smell of the fresh bread was almost overpowering - I had none of it and just eat some chicken.

All the way home from babysitting I fantasized about a jam sandwich and the left over Mr Kipling cakes in the pantry. I was all set to indulge when I checked my blood with the new Codefree meter and it was good and low (AccuChek 5.1, Codefree 4.9). At least for the moment, all thoughts of the jam sandwich have gone. I don't want to spoil these good readings.

But will I last the evening?

Reactions: 5 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You need something filling, satisfying and instant.

I know you are wanting to lose weight, but isn't it better to stick to your low carb, rather than fall into cakes and biscuits?

Do you have the makings for this:

Ingredients:
100g ground almonds (I think you could substitute coconut flour but I have never done this)
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 large eggs
1 tablespoon of melted butter
2 tablespoons of double cream

Method:
Mix all dry ingredients in a bowl.
Melt the butter I used a Pyrex jug, add the eggs, cream, then add the dry ingredients and mix. Microwave in a 700watt for 3 minutes.

Serve it with berries, cream cheese, cream...

Reactions: 3 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
I don't want to spoil these good readings.

But will I last the evening?

You've done very well to resist the croissants, baguette and jam sandwich - don't stop now and spoil everything! Have some eggs & bacon or something!

Gudrun

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
You need something filling, satisfying and instant.

I know you are wanting to lose weight, but isn't it better to stick to your low carb, rather than fall into cakes and biscuits?

Do you have the makings for this:

Ingredients:
100g ground almonds (I think you could substitute coconut flour but I have never done this)
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 large eggs
1 tablespoon of melted butter
2 tablespoons of double cream

Method:
Mix all dry ingredients in a bowl.
Melt the butter I used a Pyrex jug, add the eggs, cream, then add the dry ingredients and mix. Microwave in a 700watt for 3 minutes.

Serve it with berries, cream cheese, cream...

I am still on the wagon.. haven't fallen off (yet). I don't have baking powder or cream, but will make myself a banana milkshake instead now (and measure afterwards) and tomorrow go and buy some baking powder and cream. I've got raspberries in the freezer (and can make myself something with them as well for later tonight - lovely with a bit of quark and creme fraiche).

thanks for the tip. I needed that.

Gudrun

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
You've done very well to resist the croissants, baguette and jam sandwich - don't stop now and spoil everything! Have some eggs & bacon or something!

I think I shall be ok and resist the thoughts of jam sandwiches and cakes. It is easier now that I am at home

scarper

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
know-it-all's
Brilliant post, Gudrun.
Since it is nearly Easter ... I feel we need a careful strategy for situations such as this. Would you all agree that it is better to 'never say never' and acknowledge that ON SPECIAL OCCASIONS we might have a small amount of something inadvisable as a treat and in order to be sociable?
I've been invited for tea, hot x buns and cake tomorrow afternoon, and with my all or nothing state of mind am worried about ruining nearly 2 months of progress.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
fat you need fat, I find a heaped teaspoon of coconut block/oil every 1/2 hr settles me down within 2 or 3 spoonfuls, or Butter or olive oil, or lard or duck fat.

Reactions: 2 people

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Just because... doesn't mean you have to eat! Drink the tea, be sociable, but politely turn down the cakes and hot cross buns. If your friends/rellies do not know why then either tell them or just say you are on a diet.

Gudrun

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I am still on the wagon.. haven't fallen off (yet). I don't have baking powder or cream, but will make myself a banana milkshake instead now (and measure afterwards) and tomorrow go and buy some baking powder and cream. I've got raspberries in the freezer (and can make myself something with them as well for later tonight - lovely with a bit of quark and creme fraiche).

thanks for the tip. I needed that.

Haven't even had the banana milkshake yet. Got some phone calls and now I'm over the worst. Craving for carbs have gone and I shall look forward to a lamb steak and some peas (I checked them, they don't seem to spike me).

Jack mentioned I need fat... If I get a craving again, I shall have a teaspoon of peanut butter.

Scarper, I nearly succumbed to eating high carb foods, felt a real hunger for it, a real craving, but it didn't last. I think the danger is being in situations where others eat it, and where it is freely available and offered. Some people can just have one (biscuit or whatever) and go back to low carb meals afterwards, I don't think I can do that. I fear that if I have one or two biscuits (or bread, or whatever) that I will want more, and want it everyday again.

It's all still new to me. I have to see how it works over a longer period. Hopefully I will find a way that will be both satisfying and something I can maintain over a long period.

Lizzy5172

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done @Gudrun you have done so well!! I was in a similar situation yesterday when I organized an Easter tea for my residents with sandwiches, cake, hot cross buns and chocolate eggs and I resisted!! It made me feel so good and a couple noticed I had lost weight. So pleased. By the way I have my code free meter now which I am please with and very easy to use but it records higher than my other but hey ho I will just have to get used to it. Happy days :) Do keep going it does get easier.

Gudrun

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Well done @Gudrun you have done so well!! I was in a similar situation yesterday when I organized an Easter tea for my residents with sandwiches, cake, hot cross buns and chocolate eggs and I resisted!! It made me feel so good and a couple noticed I had lost weight. So pleased. By the way I have my code free meter now which I am please with and very easy to use but it records higher than my other but hey ho I will just have to get used to it. Happy days :) Do keep going it does get easier.

Thanks, Lizzy. I am very pleased with myself that I didn't give in and kept busy until the craving for carbs had gone.

You have done incredibly well yourself, Lizzy. You must feel so proud of resisting all the goodies you gave to others. Well done.

scarper

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
know-it-all's
Just because... doesn't mean you have to eat! Drink the tea, be sociable, but politely turn down the cakes and hot cross buns. If your friends/rellies do not know why then either tell them or just say you are on a diet.
wonderful :grumpy: One measly toasted teacake and nowt else until 10 pm today - 7.2 mmol/l
Not pleased with myself.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
wonderful :grumpy: One measly toasted teacake and nowt else until 10 pm today - 7.2 mmol/l
Not pleased with myself.
Yeah I know :( But 7.2 isn't disastrous. You could burn that off with a nice 30 minute moonlit walk. That is my philosophy, I eat something I exercise the sugar out of my blood before it spikes.

So don't beat yourself up learn from it and try again with some exercise at about 30 mins after (teacake = flour = high GI) and who knows how your body will react.

Gudrun

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm thrilled. As I started this thread with a progress after 4 days I want to add something about progress after 14 days....

I have had no bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, etc. and my weight has gone down by 2.7 kg (6 lbs) and this morning my fasting blood sugar level was 4.6 (on AccuChek) and 4.4 (on Codefree). I can't remember the last time it was in the 4s.... all done without one single bit of exercise (although I hope to be able to add daily walks soon).

And apart from one afternoon of craving carbs it has been so easy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am so happy to hear of you progress!

It makes me wonder why we aren't given this kind of advice from our HCPs when it is a very easy way both to normalise bg and loose weight in the process. Instead we are told to stuff ourselves with carbs which leads to struggles with weight and high bg. Beyond me, it is.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I'm thrilled. As I started this thread with a progress after 4 days I want to add something about progress after 14 days....

I have had no bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, etc. and my weight has gone down by 2.7 kg (6 lbs) and this morning my fasting blood sugar level was 4.6 (on AccuChek) and 4.4 (on Codefree). I can't remember the last time it was in the 4s.... all done without one single bit of exercise (although I hope to be able to add daily walks soon).

And apart from one afternoon of craving carbs it has been so easy.
That is fantastic... :D you can start to challenge @AndBreathe for that low spot now