Exercise advice T1d for better control and a healthier lifestyle.

aaronjunited

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Tomatoes
I've been thinking lately I really need to get my fitness levels and my body in good shape or my diabetes Is going to continue suffering.

I'm not overweight or underweight. I've got high cholesterol due to the junk I eat and the fizzy drinks I choose to pour down my mouth. I'm pretty sick of it all now, I just need and want to feel better about myself, have more energy and motivation and to look after my diabetes more.

I plan on doing this through a healthy diet and exercise which is the basics of a healthy lifestyle anyways.

I know I need to get help to do this, but I'm not sure what do about it on were to get help. Will My GP be able to help with this?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Aaron.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

diabeticdancer

I love exercise and trying different types of fitness classes if I ever get bored of the gym.

Get a gym membership and look at their range of classes and see if you fancy any.(most are catered for beginner - advanced) if you don't want classes there are gym instructors at most gyms who are willing to put together a fitness plan that is catered to your goals.

A great tip I can give you is to look back at what you used to enjoy physically as a child. Common things are football, basketball, dance, running, skating etc. if you liked it then you will probably like it now :)

Not sure if gp will help but I would speak to whoever helps you manage your diabetes as you will probably need to reduce insulin on active days to prevent lows.

Good luck with it. You will feel great in no time.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

aaronjunited

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Tomatoes
Thanks for the advice diabeticdancer

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
In some areas, GPs can refer patients for "exercise on prescription" schemes, which offer free or reduced price entry to gyms, swimming pools etc. Most areas have health walks, which are free. As diabeticdancer says, if you enjoyed something in your childhood, you will probably enjoy it now. However, there are new activities now that probably didn't exist when you were a child (unless you're in your 20s) eg geocaching, adventure racing.

www.runsweet.com is a good place for information about exercise with type 1 diabetes - physiology, principles and case studies for many sports. There's much less information for people with type 2 diabetes.

aaronjunited

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Tomatoes
Does anyone know of any blogs or sites dedicated to diabetic body building. I dont mean bodybuilding as in body building freak lol, just normal lifting and building muscle while staying healthy at the same time.

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I've been thinking lately I really need to get my fitness levels and my body in good shape or my diabetes Is going to continue suffering.

I'm not overweight or underweight. I've got high cholesterol due to the junk I eat and the fizzy drinks I choose to pour down my mouth. I'm pretty sick of it all now, I just need and want to feel better about myself, have more energy and motivation and to look after my diabetes more.

I plan on doing this through a healthy diet and exercise which is the basics of a healthy lifestyle anyways.

I know I need to get help to do this, but I'm not sure what do about it on were to get help. Will My GP be able to help with this?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Aaron.

Awesome you have taken the step to get healthier!
This forum will actually be a good place to research for lots of great advice.
You can also get support and advice from the diabetes online twitter community at www.gbdoc.co.uk (weekly tweet chats every Wednesday night that can be a real laugh)
Also with regards to exercise, take a look at www.teambloodglucose.com
Have a read and anything you are unsure about e-mail directly to teambg or post the question on their facebook page. :)

Egerton

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Aaron,
Eat fruits and vegetables more in your meal plans and limit salt intake. Avoid fast food and avoid stimulants(if you smoke or drink). Engage in regular exercises and follow nutritive meal plan.

Last edited by a moderator: