Hello, I'm new.

Jenny Bonner

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Been diabetic type 2 for 2 months. Found out I was diabetic by accident. I collapsed at work and the doctor did some blood tests and my sugar level was high. Had the glucose test and my second reading was 14.9. Doctor is trying to control it by diet. I have lost 8lbs, but now it will not shift. Worried the doctor will think I am not taking it serious when I go to see him. It is very difficult to get my head around what I can and can not eat, as I don't want to eat completely different food from the rest of my family. Will be glad of any advice anyone has for me.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The biggest gain you can make is to give up sugary/fizzy drinks and sugar itself. Just as important is to give up/cut down on things made of or containing flour. Have smaller portions of potato or rice with your meal although new potatoes are often not a problem.

Find time to take a walk each day. After meals is good.

Happily you can have more meat and salad to make up. Don't go hungry since you will be thinking of food all the time.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hi Jenny and welcome to the forum:)

Here is the information we give to new members which I hope you will find useful. Ask as many questions as you like and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find well over 70,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes-and-whole-grains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to bloodglucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Hi

Why dont you post a few of your meals and we can see if we can offer some advice on a few changes you could make without the need to cook something different.
I started by avoiding potatoes, rice and pasta. For example when my family had pasta I had ribbons of courgettes.

Cara

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
Hi, Welcome :)

It is very difficult with the food when your family is eating differently, the good news is the way us t2's must eat is the way everyone else should be eating so look at it as they have to eat what your eating to stay healthy rather than you having to eat what they are eating, if that makes sense, we have an issue with carbohydrates as they turn to sugar or glucose if you like once we eat them, so to reduce the amount of sugar inside you, you have to put less in, so lots of veggies, meat, salads, less (or none) potatoes, rice, pasta and bread is a good place to start, there are alternatives to these, for example instead of potato on a sunday roast i will have cheesy cauliflower mash, this is very easy to make and my wife prefers it to potatoes now so its easy, its just like making another veg, your family can have some if they like of they can have the spuds, there is a recipe section on the forum that will give you lots of great ideas

also, do you self test your bloods? this is very important so we know what foods are causing the high bloods, if the doc won't let you have the meter and strips on prescription, you may have to buy a meter and strips, but either way its very important, have a read of the forum, there is a lot to learn, but don't worry you are amongst friends, we are all in the same boat and always happy to offer advice when needed

best of luck

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi as others have said, do reduce the carbs where you can. The good news is that this can be beneficial for the whole family so see if you can gradually change the meal pattern. It's scary the amount of carbs we now have. I saw a recipe in today's paper for a Free-from ginger cake which had 60gm carb per serving which is ridiculous; gluten-free yes but healthy - no. Yes, do get a meter as this is an essential piece of kit for any diabetic

Jenny Bonner

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you to all of you. First of, I don't have a meter and my nurse has not even said I should get one, but after reading the comments I will be getting one. She also has not done another test on me since I was diagnosed. . I have been eating a lot of salads and oily fish, but when it comes to fruit I still am unsure which fruit is high in sugar. I was told that blueberries are good to have.
I just kind I feel like I have been left to sort it out for myself. All she told me was to reduce the sugar, ie nothing with no more than 10g of sugar in it but she has not said anything about carbohydrates. I think when I go and see her again, I will have some questions for her.

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
There's a book called "Carbs and Cals" which is just photos of foods and meals with values of carbohydrate, calories, fat and protein - very good for planning and checking blood sugar responses.

On fruit, berries are best, but try to keep away from tropical fruits if you can - bananas for instance are full of sugar.

Try and keep to foods that have less than 5g per 100g of carbohydrate.

But ask away, it's all a bit confusing at first.

Gudrun

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hmmm.. probably a lot less than stuff I like
Welcome to the forum, Jenny. You will find the advice given in here invaluable. Many members here have been diabetic for a long time and they know what needs to be done - oftentimes better than the diabetic nurse or doctor.

The first thing you need to get is a meter. You cannot know what foods are going to spike your blood sugar unless you can test it yourself. You would test before you eat and then 2 hours later and see which foods bring your blood sugar to a high levels and which are ok to eat. I would recommend to get a Codefree meter (sold at Amazon). The test strips for this meter are only £7, whereas they are £25 for an AccuChek meter.

For myself, I have given up all bread, potatoes, rice and pasta (and obviously cake, chocolate, biscuits). I am not on medication (I am prediabetic), but have found that not only my blood sugar levels have dropped by quite a lot, but also my weight has gone down (even though I eat lots of food).

My advice is to spend a few hours reading all the different posts on the forums. There is a lot of good advice here and I am sure you will benefit from it. It is a scary time when you are first diagnosed, but there is life after Type 2....

good luck

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
Hi Jenny welcome to the forum. For me it seems to be all about the type of food rather than the amount of carbohydrate in it. Bread and rice seem to be particularly bad for me.
I am beginning to think The nhs has little idea about how to treat this condition., At least diet wise.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jenny Bonner

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome to the forum, Jenny. You will find the advice given in here invaluable. Many members here have been diabetic for a long time and they know what needs to be done - oftentimes better than the diabetic nurse or doctor.

The first thing you need to get is a meter. You cannot know what foods are going to spike your blood sugar unless you can test it yourself. You would test before you eat and then 2 hours later and see which foods bring your blood sugar to a high levels and which are ok to eat. I would recommend to get a Codefree meter (sold at Amazon). The test strips for this meter are only £7, whereas they are £25 for an AccuChek meter.

For myself, I have given up all bread, potatoes, rice and pasta (and obviously cake, chocolate, biscuits). I am not on medication (I am prediabetic), but have found that not only my blood sugar levels have dropped by quite a lot, but also my weight has gone down (even though I eat lots of food).

My advice is to spend a few hours reading all the different posts on the forums. There is a lot of good advice here and I am sure you will benefit from it. It is a scary time when you are first diagnosed, but there is life after Type 2....

good luck
Thank you for the advice. I have been on Amazon and ordered the Codefree meter. I did check out the Accucheck and the Codefree seems to get good reviews on the forums here, also the strips are cheaper. Thank you again

Reactions: 2 people

Jenny Bonner

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There's a book called "Carbs and Cals" which is just photos of foods and meals with values of carbohydrate, calories, fat and protein - very good for planning and checking blood sugar responses.

On fruit, berries are best, but try to keep away from tropical fruits if you can - bananas for instance are full of sugar.

Try and keep to foods that have less than 5g per 100g of carbohydrate.

But ask away, it's all a bit confusing at first.
Checked the book out you recommended. i think it will really help me. Thank you