Advising doctor of self-testing

akphoto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have had Type 2 since 2008 and initially I used a monitor and test strips to keep check on my blood glucose. I received prescriptions for strips and lancets.
However, about 2 yrs later my 'diabetic nurse' said I could discontinue testing as it was 'putting money in the hands of pharma companies' ! I did stop for a year or so but resumed testing at my own expense and when I mentioned this to my nurse she said again not to waste money. I restarted testing again a few months ago (at my own expense) but I don't know how to approach telling my nurse that I am doing so without disapproval.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
I think you're quite right to continue testing and if you're nurse doesn't like it, so what. It's your diabetes and your body so you just want to take care of it the best you can.

Reactions: 4 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
It's none of their bl00dy business. If you want to test, test, because it's how we judge our performance and what not to eat.

As for 'putting money in the hands of the pharm companies', compared to prescribing statins and other drugs that's laughable!

They just don't like anyone with real data contradicting their dogma.

Reactions: 8 people

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There is no need to tell your nurse if you dont want to it is not as though you are changing your meds or anything that could effect your DB except that you would have an idea how your body is dealing with the things you are eating My nurse always says there is no need to test but I just say that I do need to test so that I can see what is happening to MY BGs
CAROL

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't think that keeping secrets from your nurse is a good idea but having said that you are not compelled to tell her anything at all. If the subject doesn't come up then just leave it.

There are probably any number of other things you do which you do not tell your nurse about.

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
While it is common for GP practice nurses to manage diabetic patients whose condition is stable, they often lack the in-depth knowledge
Honest I did not make it up.
Akphoto I think you are right with your own control, simple as that.
best of luck.

AdamF

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm always told by my DN that I'm testing too often - they recommend twice a week but I test several times a day. My doctor, however, was very pleased that I'm testing so regularly. Although they have just replaced my meter with one that uses cheaper testing strips and lancets, but that's not an issue.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

A

Avocado Sevenfold

I would wager that if your nurse got diabetes she would be testing herself every waking hour!

Reactions: 6 people

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
My doctor was a little contradictory when I showed him my graphs. On one hand he said that is fantastic that my control is so good and then in the next breath said you shouldn't be testing so often. I just laughed and said then I wouldn't have the control as I wouldn't know what effect food/exercise etc was having. He did have an answer to that. The doctor did wonder how I estimate my HbA1c

My DN on the other hand just said she wished all of her patients cared as much.

Karen.G.

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
As said above you don't need to tell your DSN - it's none of her business. It's your diabetes and we all know that to be able to look after your body you need to know your figures. If you feel the need to test then do it - no-one should be able to tell you not to.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The medics are your advisors. They offer advice, which,we consider, then accept, challenge or reject (and all points in between). That you don't wholeheartedly accept and act on her advice is absolutely fine, provided you have thought it through and understand the consequences of your actions.

Many of us have rejected the "the healthy plate" approach to diabetes care.

Challenging advice is an extremely healthy starting point. Blind acceptance can be very dangerous; especially when you have actual, personal experience to bear out your actions.

Advisors advise, not dictate.

Reactions: 6 people

munday1932

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
cold weather.People who criticize my town but don't help to make it better.Please can I go back to me user name which is Kentish maid
I have a new nurse and I told her I tested she said is that expensive so I explained I brought mine straight from Abbots and saved £8 by not buying them from a chemist she said I will pass this on to other patients.

Crimsonclient

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
My doctor was a little contradictory when I showed him my graphs. On one hand he said that is fantastic that my control is so good and then in the next breath said you shouldn't be testing so often. I just laughed and said then I wouldn't have the control as I wouldn't know what effect food/exercise etc was having. He did have an answer to that. The doctor did wonder how I estimate my HbA1c

My DN on the other hand just said she wished all of her patients cared as much.
I just got the my star extra and it is the only meter on the market that does do an estimated hba1c for you

Type 2 diagnosed 24/01/2013.
Novomix 30, Victoza, metformin 2000mg sr (but not taking them as they play havoc with my insides,

tomvonc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anyone who asks a question about diabetes without thinking what they're asking.
I just got the my star extra and it is the only meter on the market that does do an estimated hba1c for you

Novomix 30, Victoza, metformin 2000mg sr (but not taking them as they play havoc with my insides,
Isn't it just a case of looking at the 90 day average and converting mmol/L to a percentage. Lol, just a marketing gimmick. ;-)

Tom

Crimsonclient

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Isn't it just a case of looking at the 90 day average and converting mmol/L to a percentage. Lol, just a marketing gimmick. ;-)

Tom
No it works by setting up a profile which consists of 7 tests in a day then 6 fasting tests over 6 days

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have had Type 2 since 2008 and initially I used a monitor and test strips to keep check on my blood glucose. I received prescriptions for strips and lancets.
However, about 2 yrs later my 'diabetic nurse' said I could discontinue testing as it was 'putting money in the hands of pharma companies' ! I did stop for a year or so but resumed testing at my own expense and when I mentioned this to my nurse she said again not to waste money. I restarted testing again a few months ago (at my own expense) but I don't know how to approach telling my nurse that I am doing so without disapproval.
I live in New Zealand and like you I have Type 2 diabetes and I received the same response from my nurse. I like you test at my own expense because it gives me a good indication of how well I am managing my diabetes. If you are really worried about what the nurse will say you can do one of two things, one, don't even bother mentioning it to her or two, let her know that you are testing as you like to keep a check on your levels as part of your own self-management . Either way remember she is there to help and support you, it is not in her job description to discourage you from looking after your own wellbeing and just because she is a nurse she doesn't know how horrible it is to not know what is going on within your own body. Knowledge is power and if you are aware of your levels you can easily make little changes by yourself to control them so good on you for self testing, I hope you continue for your own peace of mind.

Reactions: 2 people

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm absolutely dreading the day when this thinking takes over diabetes care in Australia. When I read this stuff, I'm so happy for the system we have here. No involvement by doctors or nurses except that they sign the form that certifies your diabetes on diagnosis. After that you get a card that you present to the pharmacy when you buy your discounted consumables. I hope the system remains, but you never know...

Aldebaran

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had no chance of getting a meter from the nurse and she told me not to bother buying one. But even before finding this forum, it didn't sound right. A member here gave me a link where I got the meter and strips from at brilliant prices and even though I'm not fully in the swing of using it yet, I'm glad to have it. If it helps us keep an eye on things and work out what foods are better, etc, then why not. I can't understand anyone telling someone else not to use something that helps.