metformin causing sickness

swordy100

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been on powdered metformin for well over a year with only usual known side effects of wind but over the last month I have been feeling sick every day. I am not a sickly person and never even had morning sickness!!! But today I decided to not take my powders and I have eaten normally and feel fine. Is there anyone else who has suddenly been affected?

Catherine123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Needles, being ill, hospitals
Hi Swordy,

I could not tolerate Metformin at the start of treatment. GP changed my tablets to slow release ones and have had no trouble since. Hope this is helpful

Regards Catherine123

swordy100

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you Catherine
I've been on the powdered form since they were introduced as I couldn't swallow the huge tablets and it's been a couple of years I think now. But it's only been the last 3 weeks approx that I have been feeling sick so thought it was some sort of bug. But yesterday realised I was ok until a couple of hours after taking it I was feeling so ill. So didn't take evening dose and none this morning and although my stomach bit swollen it's first time for weeks that been able to eat without worrying about being ill. I am in church choir and had to miss the Maunby Service on Thursday because I felt so sick

Reactions: 2 people

Karen.G.

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I would go see your Dr - it could be that the Metformin is causing your sickness - it can happen no matter how long you've taken the medication.

I am on the SR Metformin tablets and they are quite big, but some manufacturers are smaller.

How are your blood sugars?

Karen.G.

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I find that so disgusting that you can't get strips on prescription :-( How are you meant to keep a track of your bg's :-( It is definitely short-sighted by your Dr and the NHS.

How are you feeling today?

swordy100

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fine thank you . It's nice to know what has been causing it as I was getting rather worried as I said at the beginning I just don't suffer that way at all and we are all the same as a family

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App