Chinese Food with Type 2

Tsmurthwaite

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I was diagnosed yesterday, but still to have detailed meeting re what I can eat. Am a bit thrown by it all. I always go to a friends on a Sat night and we have Chinese takeaway. Am I best to order chow mein or abstain completely. Thanks

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You're OK with the spices, the chilli, salt, garlic, pepper, ginger etc but the takeaways are always a bit more difficult as many smother their dishes with gloupy sugar laden sauces. If I were in a restaurant, I'd go for things like shrimp egg foo yung, duck with prawn meat stuffing, salt and pepper ribs or salt and pepper king prawns but in most cases, things in the thinner sauces, oyster sauce or black bean sauce for example are OK. Defintely avoid sweet and sour, fillet steak in cantonese sauce etc. Try and go for meat and eggs and as little sauce as possible.

Some thin noodles as a side should be OK if you don't eat the whole portion. You don't know what noodles they provide so its best to restrict the portion. Many noodles are OK but you never know what you're going to get and certainly not in a takeaway.

On the otherhand, you could just pig out on the ribs, prawns and chicken wings, the sort of stuff they have for starters. They're mostly served up with chilli, garlic, chives and ginger. Very tasty and carb free. Just avoid stuff which is battered.

Reactions: 2 people

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
I have to avoid rice too. Recently had rice for first time since diagnosed at end of January. Sent blood sugar through the roof. No prawn crackers either :(

julifriend

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you like them, beansprouts are low carb and low GI and make a nice crunchy base to go with something like beef or chicken in black bean sauce. Just try to get the beansprouts without their own sauce or eat as little of the sauce as possible. I also go for mushrooms from my local take away as the sauce is not too sweet or sticky.

Reactions: 4 people

Tsmurthwaite

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for that. Will go for the ribs but will try bean sprouts and mushrooms next. Thanks again....this is all very complicated :eek:

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
As well as the above-crispy seaweed and deep fried crab claws are a good choice to add.:)

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Hi. I was diagnosed yesterday, but still to have detailed meeting re what I can eat. Am a bit thrown by it all. I always go to a friends on a Sat night and we have Chinese takeaway. Am I best to order chow mein or abstain completely. Thanks
Hi there! Everyone on your site has been in this position. The NHS recommend portion control and the healthy plate model. See www.diabetes.org.uk however, I prefer LCHF. If you look at www.dietdoctor.com then the doc who writes this blog gives a full explanation of LCHF and the rationale behind it. I have lost almost 2 stone in less than 3 months. I've also halved my bs. Some people like low GI. Good luck!

Reactions: 4 people

Lizzy5172

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome. Enjoy your Chinese. Never abstain when there is something to eat that is low carb & sugar :)

Pollylocks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not many.

Hi! I'm not new to diabetes but fairly newbie on here, wish I had discovered this forum a long time ago as I don't feel on my own anymore and I did for such a long time. I find posters are either newbies or 'old hands' who are giving invaluable advice.....I'm an inbetweenie and have learnt soo much since being on here.....so I'm not ready to give advice yet but stick with it Tsmurthwaite I know you'll find help on this site.....:)

Tsmurthwaite

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi! I'm not new to diabetes but fairly newbie on here, wish I had discovered this forum a long time ago as I don't feel on my own anymore and I did for such a long time. I find posters are either newbies or 'old hands' who are giving invaluable advice.....I'm an inbetweenie and have learnt soo much since being on here.....so I'm not ready to give advice yet but stick with it Tsmurthwaite I know you'll find help on this site.....:)
Thanks very much. Am in a spin with this and go between being in denial and thinking it's the end of the world. Glad I found this site

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
a nice crunchy base

A texture makes a lot of difference to the enjoyment of a meal. I never feel I have had something filling unless it included a little crunch. If I have something like a shrimp omelette, I'll have a ryvita with some sardine paste afterwards.

If I didn't, I'd be making toast or eating cornflakes:-(