Weight gain issue help!!

m786xxx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I have been diabetic type 1 for almost 4 years ... My diabetes was well controlled for the first year than I started slacking and didn't bother with myself for two years, I was feeling very lazy etc so went and got my hb1ca done the results came as 96 which is apparently bad and now I have to take insulin regularly and in my first year I was taking 6 units novo rapid with every meal and now I'm taking 20 to 25 units I'm not sure what's wrong and this insulin is making me gain weight and I'm very depressed now.., can someone please advice me on what to do?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

DFiona

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there
Just wanted to say I understand the depression that comes with weight gain on insulin- I'm type 2. I am also on another injectable called Victoza but it isn't insulin. A side effect of many is weight loss - u could ask about it. I had better hba1c before insulin and 8 kg lighter! Like why am i continually put on the stuff ... Except i know why really.

Big empathy.
Fiona

DFiona

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I have been diabetic type 1 for almost 4 years ... My diabetes was well controlled for the first year than I started slacking and didn't bother with myself for two years, I was feeling very lazy etc so went and got my hb1ca done the results came as 96 which is apparently bad and now I have to take insulin regularly and in my first year I was taking 6 units novo rapid with every meal and now I'm taking 20 to 25 units I'm not sure what's wrong and this insulin is making me gain weight and I'm very depressed now.., can someone please advice me on what to do?

FYI here is victoza side effect info
http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Diabet...ndition=Diabetes&medicine=Victoza&preparation
I have hospital appointment in 2 weeks I will defo ask about it but I don't know if it's available in the uk...

It is. I am in the UK :)

Dougal

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Another idea might be to ask if you can start Metformin. It will increase your insulin sensitivity, which will mean that you should need less insulin. Also, I side effect of Metformin is weight loss.

Both of these added together should help you to lose weight, which in turn would mean less insulin, which would mean less insulin.

Just a thought.

m786xxx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Really I didn't know but I have to wait till I see my diabetic team in a week because only they can look at my history and change my medicine... The insulin dosent seem to work anymore unless I take high doses which causes me to gain weight , it's depressing because if I had to carry on like this than I will end up being over weight. I have started excercise and managed to reduce insulin to 10 units and also eating less and more healthy food. I really appreciate u guys giving me this information on here. :)

Emma23

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I found out I was diabetic in early pregnancy, I had no choice but to eat right and take it very seriously for the sake of my baby. In turn getting grips with eating right and portion sizes and stuff meant I lost roughly 2 stone in 9 months, this just shows how diet can be a massive impact to diabetes and weight :) ask to see a dietitian? Gaining knowledge on foods and portion sizes is very very useful! You'll be surprised, it took me a while because I felt like I wasn't allowed to eat anything but still good knowledge to have, then it's up to us to put it into place (easier said than done!) xx

m786xxx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Really that's amazing ... Let's see what the hospital suggests for me... I think seeing a dietician will be good too and I heard raspberry ketone helps with weight loss however don't know if diabetics can take them...