Chuffed to bits!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I got my first meter on Thursday.

Yesterday, evening meal, before eating 5.2mmol/l; 2 hours later 6.9mmol/l. Chuffed to bits BECAUSE the meal included a slice of Hovis granary bread (the thick ones). Fingers crossed this means I can cope with my bread.

This morning weigh in, lost another 1lb. That's 1.5 stones all told.

Reactions: 14 people

Opalshards

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Liars, thieves, users, cruelty, doing the washing up. Lol
Well done.
I love the Hovis seeded loaf.
And I think brown bread is more filling.;)

Reactions: 2 people

Gudrun

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hmmm.. probably a lot less than stuff I like

Yesterday, evening meal, before eating 5.2mmol/l; 2 hours later 6.9mmol/l. Chuffed to bits BECAUSE the meal included a slice of Hovis granary bread (the thick ones). Fingers crossed this means I can cope with my bread.

Brilliant. Well done for checking and well done for being able to have a slice of bread (and not 4 or 5).

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Brilliant. Well done for checking and well done for being able to have a slice of bread (and not 4 or 5).

:D Lol yes indeed, portion control is what it's all about when it comes to carbs! In the old days, with the same meal, I would have had more. I've just had another slice with my lunch!

Gudrun

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hmmm.. probably a lot less than stuff I like
:D Lol yes indeed, portion control is what it's all about when it comes to carbs! In the old days, with the same meal, I would have had more. I've just had another slice with my lunch!

You see, I don't think I could stick with just one slice of bread. I LOVE bread and used to eat a lot. Always preferred a sandwich to a cooked meal. I have given it up now but I think if I were to have one slice I would want two the next day and the following week eat 8 slices a day again.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You see, I don't think I could stick with just one slice of bread. I LOVE bread and used to eat a lot. Always preferred a sandwich to a cooked meal. I have given it up now but I think if I were to have one slice I would want two the next day and the following week eat 8 slices a day again.

I was also a big bread eater, always had something on toast for lunch, or sandwiches, and a few slices with dinner, plus a lot of crusty French bread and garlic bread. I couldn't bear never to have any again so when I switched to Hovis granary, which is thick, I found one slice is enough, and filling. I cut the slice up into soldiers, eating one soldier at a time, and find it seems to go further!!!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Doubly chuffed to bits now! 2 hours after my lunch, which included another slice of granary (toasted this time) my levels only increased from 6mmol to 7.4mmol. They started highish because I had my breakfast a bit late this morning.

Beshlie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That is great news Bluetit. I find can tolerate up to 3 slices of Hovis wholemeal medium sliced, spread throughout the day and still stay under 6.5 post meal. Strange how we are all so different. Mind you, I had half of a Hot Cross Bun yesterday and saw 8.1 !!!. That is over the top for me. Don't know what they put in them!!

bernie.freeman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
selfish people
Hi Beshlie, I think part of the problem with yummy Hot Cross buns is the fruit in them, I love them too. yummmmm :D

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
I was a bread fiend, but ration myself to one slice of wholemeal toast per day to go with my diabetic Full English - when I have one.

I look on it as a treat rather than the potential top of a slippery slope, which stops me being tempted to have more. Works for me anyway.

Aldebaran

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done. I'm pleased there is a section like this here because it's encouragement for me and others too. I'm struggling and stories like your's Bluetit really do help x :)

Reactions: 4 people

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!

Awesome result! Congrats and big hugs!

Reactions: 3 people