Livlife Bread

K

Kat100

Hi shzz46 I will look out for that jelly, it's my first year of jelly, so thank you....

Perhaps I should try and make a trifle at Christmas

Kat

maggie2

3 times ive been to waitrose every time they didnt have it :( *jealous*
I found a recipe on here yesterday using palm oil which I didn't know much about but have found I can get it from the States
reasonably priced BUT I now can't find the recipe! Can someone point me in the right direction please?
Ewelina? Am I missing something? You are one of my low carb cooking gurus? I'm either having an episode or i fell of the world lol

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

stargums

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Livlife low-carb bread hit the shelves of Waitrose stores across Backed by a major advertising campaign with the strapline Bread is back it has immediately generated a lot of publicity in the national press.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We bought 3 loaves last week, when we drove past the only Waitrose within 50 miles of home.

Ate 1 in two days (mr B is a bread junkie), and I've frozen the other 2.

Interesting to eat bread again after so long. Very similar to the soya Burgen. The slices are thin and about 1/3 of the size of a normal slice. They seem a little drier than most bread. Flavour good. Liked the seeds. Makes fantastic toast for fried eggs or beans. Would not have the lovely softness needed for a good bacon sarnie. It was FAB with marmite and cream cheese.

I had some after 9 pm one evening - and got heartburn. But that would have happened with any bread.

We will definitely buy more, but only occasionally. It won't be a staple.

modesty007

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
I had heard good things about Birgitta Höglund but unsure if she has a site with most of her recipes?
Great news regarding Birgitta H, her cookery books (3) will be translated to English and published next spring, probably first in US, hopefully available on Amazon etc.

Pollylocks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not many.
Livlife low-carb bread hit the shelves of Waitrose stores across Backed by a major advertising campaign with the strapline Bread is back it has immediately generated a lot of publicity in the national press.

Is this recently because I went there a couple of weeks ago and could only find lovelife bread which is a different product, thats not what I was trying to find!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We definitely got Livlife in Waitrose - it was sitting next to Burgen.

Alanp35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cricket, golf
Our Waitrose here in Staines, only sells Vogel bread. Three varieties but only the one brand.
Love life , sure, it is Waitrose own brand.

Late onset T1, several auto immune issues.
Humalogmix25 twice a day, Methotrexate 25mg once per week, FolicAcid 5mg once per week, prednisolone 5mg daily, Allopurinol 300mg, Calcichew-D3 800iu, Levothyroxine 50mcg, Atenolol 50mg, Losarten 100mg, Aspirin 75mg, Nicorandil 20mg, Nitrolingual GTN spray, Metformin 2000mg, Allimemazine 10mg, Lanzoprazole 30mg, Atorvastatin 20mg, Co Codamol 8/500mg, Depo Medrone (Methylprednisolone) or double Prednisolone for 7 days in case of RA flare.

cally

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Vogels Soya and Linseed bread is great because it has a bit more substance and chew factor to it. It has 14g carbs per slice.
I hate Burgen bread as I find it a bit lightweight with far too many seeds. Not nice at all.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Vogels Soya and Linseed bread is great because it has a bit more substance and chew factor to it. It has 14g carbs per slice.
I hate Burgen bread as I find it a bit lightweight with far too many seeds. Not nice at all.

I always toast my Burgen Bread, by doing so it awakens the flavour of the seeds and gives them a nice crunch :)

Reactions: 2 people
A

Avocado Sevenfold

Mmmm all this talk of Livlife...just had two pieces toasted with butter and scrambled eggs and tommy sauce. I freeze it two slices to a bag and only eat it occasionally as a treat due to its rarity and price :)

Pollylocks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not many.
We definitely got Livlife in Waitrose - it was sitting next to Burgen.

......I found it today ~ thanks :). Quite expensive, 500g loaf £1.99 but only 3.8g carbs per slice [small slices] but has to be better than no sandwich at all....:D

Fallgal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No Waitrose here. I've tried M&S, Tesco's and Morrison's and the only suitable bread I can find is Burgen's Soya/Linseed, and only in Morrison's. I read that Burgen's also makes a low-carb bread roll. Has anyone seen it/tried it?

K

Kat100

No Waitrose here. I've tried M&S, Tesco's and Morrison's and the only suitable bread I can find is Burgen's Soya/Linseed, and only in Morrison's. I read that Burgen's also makes a low-carb bread roll. Has anyone seen it/tried it?
Yes I prefer it ;)

Fallgal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ooh, where have you seen the rolls? I would love to find these locally.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Burgen is far worse for my blood glucose than Livlife, but I have to be sparing with even that. :(

Pollylocks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not many.
....had two slices of the LivLife as toast this morning, tasted good and my bs after just over an hour was the same as before I ate it...:)

...I bought some Sukrin free From Bread Mix the other week from Amazon, gluten, wheat, soy, milk and yeast free just to try it as there's only 1g carb per slice....it does have sukrin sweetener in it but not much as it was quite well down in the list of ingredients.....its easy to make, just mix with water and bake....the main ingredients are sunflower and pumpkin seeds....the baking tray is provided so I just sliced it and froze it in the tray when it had cooled......

...It's expensive, £4.25 and about the same size as LivLife, I just bought it to try, couldn't afford it all the time.....I bought three so I didn't have to pay any postage [free p&p over £10 spent]....it tastes lovely and nutty and is quite heavy as its gluten free, two slices are very filling....:p

Last edited by a moderator:

claymic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I found a hovis nimble loaf at morrison. 8g per slice. I know its not very low but at least lower than normal bread

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App