my bs levels

aqualung

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
my codefree monitor arrived today so I have started testing again. I was previously using an accucheck but ran out of strips a while ago.

My fasting level was 5.3.

I had a late breakfast of hot cross bun ( to test bs levels) and a cup of tea. After 1 hour bs was 8.3 and after 2 hours 7.2.

before lunch (3 hours after my hot cross bun) my bs was 4.5. lunch was scrambled eggs, 3 slices of ham and a wedge of cheese followed by low carb almond and chocolate bar, low carb lemon curd, almonds and cream and a cup of tea.

I went for a walk for just over an hour and tested by bs when I got back, 2 hours after my lunch. It was 6.1

How do these levels look (apart from the 8.3)? I would have thought that my level after lunch would be lower having had a reasonable walk.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I find it useful to test one hour after food and to keep testing until I am back to baseline when I want to check what certain foods or combinations do to my bg. For me, to still be close to 2 mml above baseline after two hours would make me rethink the meal. But that is me. I try to keep my bg in normal levels at all times.

My guide to normal bg is this site: http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/16422495.php

Reactions: 2 people

aqualung

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks to you both for the link.

I didn't think that my lunch was that high in carbs to increase my bs level like it did and was especially surprised after walking. is there anything in particular which would be more likely to make the bg rise?

my bs before tea was 5.7, I will test again in 2 hours.

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Could be the low carb bar and lemon curd weren't as low carb as they say?

aqualung

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
should I test 2 hours at the start or the end of a meal?

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
your 8.3 @ 1 hour puts you inside the 95th percentile of the test that produced the graph. There was only 24 subjects in the test so that means one of them was outside this. I would say you had a reasonably good response to what you ate. The 6.1 was also just inside the 95th percentile

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)