down and beaten

phil169

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
been to hospital today and I now feel that I should just forget I have diabetes and just get on with life. after weeks of low carb counting and staying under a100 carbs per day yes I have lost some weight but my bloods have gone up now told to up my lantus to 54 units and up my correction units to 2 for every 1 unit bloods are up so at tea time my bloods where at 19.5. for tea I had a pork stake 1 round of bread and butter 15g of carbs = 10.5 units of apidra + 24 units correction = 35 units and bloods now at 19.1 am I fighting a losing battle ??? yes I think so. all this and no control. I give in. we are all at a loss as to what to do next dbn said just keep uping the lantus every 4 days until it comes down but every 3-4 days it drops down to 6/7 for 3/4 days then up it will go for the next week or 2 then drops down all this insulin can not be good for me. but where to go from here I am at a loss. so do I just for get it and go on as I never had this bloody diabetes or do I still keep on and hope for the best??.

equipoise

Sorry Phil, but you know you can't do that. You can try to forget diabetes, but diabetes will not forget you, and it will not let you get on with life. It's like turning your back on someone who is armed with a knife (except that in that case you don't know whether they will use it, whereas you know for certain that diabetes will). You have got to believe that your bgs will start to stabilize, and you have got to keep fighting this bloody thing. We're all with you.

Reactions: 8 people

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
You need to keep working at it, due to other health probs my diabetes at times is so hard to control and it can really pee me off, but i know i cant give up and have to keep trying..we are all here to help you so plz keep trying

Reactions: 5 people

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Phil are you type one or two? have you been offered a CGM for a week to see whats going on?

Also have you tried metafomin with insulin and different insulins?

martinsk8r

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Gliklazide.
Trying to get a dive medical.
Hi Phil169. I seem to have found someone with similar symptoms as me. I am type 2 on insulin and almost trebled dose in the 12 days I have been on it. This morning 12.6 after fasting for 12 hours. Humulin M3 16 units am and pm. I have always felt better and had the best HbA1c on a Low Carb High Fat diet HCLF. I note that you are keeping to 100g per day but I find that really high and 100g should be the ammount for non-diabetics. For you I would have thought 30-50 is a better level and I note that some of the forum members are on around 20-30g per day! (come on Forum help me here)
So keep with it, keep reading. I am finding that my body just doesn't use the insulin properly so I may end up around 30 units twice a day. I think my readings were going very high before regular readings were taken. Last HbA1c was 9.7 on Metformin 2000mg and 4 Gliclazide Max dose?
I am now off Gliclazide and not as hungry now! I am feeling much better though despite high readings.

Reactions: 2 people

Mazzer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Phil, please don't give up, you really need to be positive. Good advice from Martin above, and I am sure that there are others that have had similar problems as yours. Be strong you have lots of support on here, so make the most of it and get that bg under control. You can do it.:)

Good luck,
Marilyn

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Phil,

I don't know anything about you - your weight, lifestyle, etc and I am not Type2, but I do low-carb and manage LADA in that way with Apidra and levemir.

The thing that struck me on reading your post above is that you are keeping your carbs to 'under 100g per day'. The trouble is with Type 2 that it is usually largely based around insulin resistance - and you might well be resistant to injected insulin as well as your own insulin. Honestly, in that situation, I'd cut the carbs right back to absolute minimum; avoid ALL starch carb and get your carbs from green veg and salad only. Your tea last night would have been pork steak with salad or vegetables rather than bread and butter. I know it's hard, but many Type 2s need to cut their carbs right back to 50g or less per day initially. When the base line BG levels improve, the insulin resistance tends to improve too - but this can be over a year or so.

Second thing is that one of the best ways to improve insulin resistance is to exercise regularly - not necessarily for long sessions, but regularly. Even with LADA and very little insulin resistance, I find that my levels are greatly improved and my need for basal insulin reduced when I take regular exercise - and for me, swimming for half an hour has a dramatic impact. Could it be that you are more active on the days that your BG is lower? If you are overweight, this contributes greatly to the insulin resistance, so cutting carbs drastically and exercising regularly might help with that too.

As i said above, I don't know anything about you as i don't normally read and respond to Type 2 questions, so please feel free to ignore what i've said if you are already doing these things. I hope you find a way forward soon.

Smidge

Reactions: 4 people

phil169

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
thanks to you all for your support. I have not been on for a few days. as I had given up on every thing insulin the lot I feel better but my bloods to day are to high to mention. now at 39.6 but I feel fine lost 13lb in 12 days. I am not eating much to day had some liver and onions for tea that is all to day. i just can not be doing with it any moor at the moment. but thank for your support.

Karen.G.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Phil

You are too young to give up the fight. I think we all know it is hard but nobody can walk in your shoes.

I just want you to think of your future. I am 42, diagnosed with background retinopathy and just diagnosed with peripheral neuropathy - I've had this bloody disease for over 16 years and I never thought that this would happen to me. I'm very angry at myself for letting it get to this - I'm angry at myself as I could have prevented it.

Please don't give up on yourself. You might feel fine now, but the damage you are doing to your body is immense.

I'm not preaching. I've been where you are and given up. I know how overwhelming it can be.

Please take care of yourself - take as much time as you need to sort yourself out, but go back to the hospital when you are ready to face it again - just don't leave it too long.

Please also remember we are here anytime.

Karen

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Phil

Your concern for yourself really worries me...you appear to be accepting very high levels and also sound to be down in the dumps as well..

Have I interpreted this rightly or wrongly? Your post concerns me...

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

phil169

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
hi thanks for your concern but I am fine bloods well I don't know at the mo has I have stopped testing. I am still feeling fine and good still no insulin at all. i have lost another 7lb but that's fine and on the hole I am well and not missing the day today battle with my bloods or the ever increasing insulin injections, life is returning to how it was before all this pills and injections and I am enjoying my self at this time.
will just have to see how things go.
thanks every one
phil.

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Phil

Please get some medical advice. There will be a way around your problems, sometime we need to accept some help.

Please speak to your GP, NHS direct (call 111) or go to A and E with high levels. Do it today!

Cara

C

catherinecherub

Hi Phil,
I can feel your frustration from your posts.

As others have said, those high levels are a medical emergency and you really need expert help.
By going to A@E you may get more help and education than you are getting at the moment. It's all very well for your Health Care Team to be indifferent about your management but you will have to do something for yourself and quickly. You can explain what has been going on and a new perspective from a different Dr. may help sort your control out.

I notice on your information page you say that your medications are "too many to put here". Does this mean that you have other health problems or are they all for diabetes? Sometimes you need a medication review as different medications can interfere with blood sugars.

Take the advice offered on the forum Phil before it is too late. Excessively high blood sugars can kill if not sorted out.

equipoise

will just have to see how things go.

There is only one way that things are going, Phil, and you know that. You have had a break and maybe you needed it, but you need to stop right now and get back on board the waggon before it's too late.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Phil

Were all your insulins within date and are you sure your fridge is at the right temperature.

I know I found out from higher levels that my fridge wasn't working properly...and that was causing my higher levels a few years back....

Please Phil check your fridge, get a thermostat and put in it. The causation of being high's previously could be something as simple as that, and you are thinking that you are fed up with it all...and it isn't your body causing the concern.

I know you seem to want weight loss..but giving up your insulin isn't the answer. You cannot know the internal damage you are doing to yourself... It is only showing externally because your body is in crisis....

Please Phil just check the dates on your insulin, check your fridge thermostat is working as the first thing you do.

Phil. Please don't do this to yourself.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

phil169

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
hi all
once again thanks for your concerns but I am very well and feeling fine just done a blood test (first in weeks) it is 20.5 at this time but I am fine.
just about to have a beef spread sandwich for lunch as feeling a bit peckish at the mo. yes I know carbs. as long as I am feeling well and doing fine I don't have any worries at this time. even had a compliment to day on how well I am looking. yes I have had a couple of medical probs , stroke, angina, etc but at this time I have never felt better.

thanks

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, glad to hear you're feeling well. Glad you did a blood test. Your blood sugar isn't "too high to mention" then, but 20.5 is too high and needs sorting so that you can get back on track. As Donnellysdogs said, maybe check that your insulin isn't damaged, and visit your GP today? Best wishes!

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
In the end it's Phil's decision. I think he has been given the best advice by lots of people several times. He knows the levels he's running will kill him. He also knows he is risking blindness, amputation, heart disease, kidney failure and many other complications. That's his choice.

Good luck Phil.

Smidge

Reactions: 3 people