Nice sense of progress

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
May not seem much, but first BG under 6 (5.8) and first dinner +2 under 7 (6.8) this evening :D

Reactions: 19 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Also BP down from 160/90 on 18 March to mid 140s / mid 80s now (exercise). OK the former was a one-off spot reading in the surgery and may have been affected by white coat syndrome, but it was one of the factors that prompted the GP to hand me a statins prescription so readily - not that he probably needed any excuse :banghead:. Lost about 2 kg in weight - little acorns ...

Still 10 days to my first DN session, where I'm expecting to counter outdated dogma with real data - should be fun! ;)

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Like Chris Packham I like a good graph, especially when it reinforces the sense of what I'm trying to do (just diet and exercise). The linear trend will only work for a short while as they start to flatten out but I'm chuffed with this.

Wouldn't have been able to do it without the advice and support of this forum :)

BGs.jpg

BP_weight.jpg

Reactions: 4 people

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Excellent, the graphs show a great improvement. Keep them coming. You BP is falling much faster than mine so well done.

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thanks Andrew - your weight loss and HbA1c reduction are pretty impressive too.

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Great work! How did you produce the graphs? Thanks x

Thanks! Just in Excel. I'm keeping all my data (BG, BP, weight, what I eat, exercise etc) on an Excel spreadsheet so I can track performance, it's handy to show to the docs as well, assuming they are amenable.

Reactions: 2 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Another milestone yesterday, BG reading (preprandial) under 5 for the first time. Big drop to 4.6 from previous record of 5.3 - it's probably an outlier, but like the footballer scoring from a lucky deflection I'm claiming it anyway :cool:

Evening BPs also coming under better control, 140/75-ish, which were previously holding my daily averages back (mornings usually around 130/70).

Weight loss has plateaued at 6kg for the time being, but not too concerned about that, at least my nominal BMI has crept below the 30 threshold on the way to target low 20s - but still hoping for a bit more next time I weigh myself at the weekend. Lost 3 1/2 inches off my waist though which is pleasing - Mrs Sanguine says she can see me visibly shrinking - around the face too.

Reactions: 11 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Definitely claim it! Well done Rod. Your hard work is paying off. Big clap from me.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Another milestone yesterday, BG reading (preprandial) under 5 for the first time. Big drop to 4.6 from previous record of 5.3 - it's probably an outlier, but like the footballer scoring from a lucky deflection I'm claiming it anyway :cool:.

You can't have a trend without the first reading......

If you have plateaued; can you drop the carbs for a few days to give your body a kick?

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm not eating much more than 30g carbs as it is! As I say I'm not too worried about it whilst I'm bringing BG and BP down.

Alanp35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cricket, golf
Thanks! Just in Excel. I'm keeping all my data (BG, BP, weight, what I eat, exercise etc) on an Excel spreadsheet so I can track performance, it's handy to show to the docs as well, assuming they are amenable.
Same here Sanguine, I'm not so hot with the charts tho. Lol

Late onset T1, several auto immune issues.
Humalogmix25 twice a day, Methotrexate 25mg once per week, FolicAcid 5mg once per week, prednisolone 5mg daily, Allopurinol 300mg, Calcichew-D3 800iu, Levothyroxine 50mcg, Atenolol 50mg, Losarten 100mg, Aspirin 75mg, Nicorandil 20mg, Nitrolingual GTN spray, Metformin 2000mg, Allimemazine 10mg, Lanzoprazole 30mg, Atorvastatin 20mg, Co Codamol 8/500mg, Depo Medrone (Methylprednisolone) or double Prednisolone for 7 days in case of RA flare.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm not eating much more than 30g carbs as it is! As I say I'm not too worried about it whilst I'm bringing BG and BP down.

In which case, perhaps increase a bit for a few days? I would, however, agree with your primary goal of reducing bloods and BP.

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Why would increasing my carbs (and presumably reducing fat to avoid increasing calories) kick my body into losing weight? (As it is I only have two successive results at the same weight and I deliberately only weigh once a week now, so it's not a big deal).

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Its not the carbs that need increasing particularly, its the calories. If you have reached a plateau your body has probably gone into starvation mode due to insufficient calories for you and your lifestyle. Starvation mode lowers your metabolism and makes weight loss more difficult. If you increase calories for a few days you should see your weight start to drop again.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Why would increasing my carbs (and presumably reducing fat to avoid increasing calories) kick my body into losing weight? (As it is I only have two successive results at the same weight and I deliberately only weigh once a week now, so it's not a big deal).

Just to give your body something different to cope with. Calories may be the way to go, I guess, as Bluetit suggests.

If you're happy to stick with what you're doing, then that's what you must do. Probably worthwhile just sense checking fluid intake and the other very basics.

Without doubt, you're making excellent progress.

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
A typical daily intake for me at the moment is (just been rummaging in Carbs and Cals) is

Carbs 50g
Protein 82g
Fat 123g
Calories 1800

Breakfast is the biggest variable, depending if I have cooked (bacon/egg/mushroom/tomato) or porridge/berries, or yoghurt/berries.