Fallen off the wagon

poshtotty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I fell off the wagon big time today. After 4+ weeks of strict LCHF without touching a slice of bread, potato, rice, pasta, cake, biscuit, tropical fruit, root veg or bananas, I met a friend for lunch. I was so good and chose what I thought was low carb lunch - dressed crab with lemon mayo and salad leaves. Then the artisan breads arrived to accompany it.

I finished my crab before my friend finished their meal, so I started on the bread, possibly out of boredom. Just one slice, then a second. I thought it would be okay as I went for an extra long walk afterwards, much of it uphill so I felt I'd burned it off but an interesting/disturbing thing has happened since. I've had no willpower to resist bad food since I've been home. I was craving a hot cross bun, so bought some, then my daughter shared some chocolates with me and I accepted 4. 4!! Up unti today I've been able to resist all chocolate and sweets for over a month. I even gave my biscotti to my friend when we had our morning lattes before moving on to lunch.

I'm now snacking on things in the fridge, including a cold sausage left over from breakfast. I suppose I need to put this down as a learning curve/wake up call.

Could it really be those two small slices of healthy looking artisan bread that caused this?

Crimsonclient

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm not sure about these things but you just need yo climb back on the wagon and not feel to guilty about it as that won't help either

Type 2 diagnosed 24/01/2013.
Novomix 30, Victoza, metformin 2000mg sr (but not taking them as they play havoc with my insides,

Reactions: 4 people
A

Avocado Sevenfold

Just my opinion, but I think carbs make you crave more carbs. Like the Pringles ad says, "Once you pop, you can't stop!"

You will be fine tomorrow :)

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
I don't know Diana, but just put it down to experience and put it behind you. Tomorrow is another day. You don't say if you've tested after that lot, if it was me I'd be tempted not to ...

As Crimsonclient says, you just get back on that wagon and try not to feel guilty. The temptation is there for all of us, and you've done the right thing by coming on here and talking about it. (Blimey I must sound like some tub-thumping evangelist).

Reactions: 2 people

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I find salted peanuts do this to me and I just have to finish the whole bag. So I have been desensitizing myself by buying lots and leaving them in plain sight.

Good luck diana on getting back to your chosen path and I am sure no real harm has been done

poshtotty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks everyone. Its definitely a learning curve. Quite shocked at how the self-control became non-existent . I agree with @Avocado Sevenfold that carbs must make you crave more.

And yes, I tested. 9.4. Grrrr!

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
We are entitled to a day off from D occasionally. After all those carbs you managed 9.4. That's not so terrible. I was expecting you to announce a number in the high teens.

My hubby brought in some samosas, pakoras and onion bahgees tonight and I'm still hovering around the mid 9s after three hours.

Helsin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I sympathise, Dianagrace. I've been eating to LCHF nearly two weeks now and finding it surprisingly easy, but I nearly buckled when I saw the Mr. Kipling shelf in the supermarket today! I bought a tub of clotted cream instead and had a spoonful after my steak and salad on sugar-free jelly and berries. It's not quite a fondant fancy, but it'll do.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Don't know if this will help, but after reading Dr William Davis's book Wheat Belly and his arguments about the addictive qualities of wheat - then starting to read food labels and finding wheat (along with sugar, salt and nasty seed oils) in just about every packaged food going, it helped me view these items not as food, but as toxic/addictive chemicals I don't want in my body. It's amazing to me that wheat is in just about everything, even things like salad dressings and soy sauce. You have to really shop around to find brands that don't contain it.

Joe Sweatthang

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not Paragliding
How did you feel physically ? I strayed once in my early days and immediately recognised that I didn't feel too good with raised glucose levels. This helps me with my control.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Charles Robin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My advice is to experiment with low carb foods until you find something you really enjoy. If you feel like straying, go for your treat low carb food instead. For me it's smoked salmon. I'm pretty sure if my flat was full of it I could eat my way through it in about five minutes. Carbs are very addictive, and probably cause more deaths and health problems than drugs and alcohol combined. The good news is the longer you avoid them, the easier it gets. I have been low carbing since January, and I have finally stopped having to avoid walking past anywhere that sells Snickers bars.

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Don't know if this will help, but after reading Dr William Davis's book Wheat Belly and his arguments about the addictive qualities of wheat - then starting to read food labels and finding wheat (along with sugar, salt and nasty seed oils) in just about every packaged food going, it helped me view these items not as food, but as toxic/addictive chemicals I don't want in my body. It's amazing to me that wheat is in just about everything, even things like salad dressings and soy sauce. You have to really shop around to find brands that don't contain it.

This is good advice. Carbs are so addictive, but now with LCHF I'm finding it much easier to despise those carby good-for-nothing sweet and nasty treats that used to beguile me. If I fall off the wagon it's no big deal, I'll record what happened like you have done, Diana, then turn the page of my diary and climb back on. Thanks for being honest and telling us what happened: when you know it happens to other people, you don't feel quite so bad about it, and it's easier to carry on regardless.

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
With such restrictive food on a low carb diet I'm not surprise you strayed away from it!

Gudrun

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hmmm.. probably a lot less than stuff I like
I fell off the wagon big time today. After 4+ weeks of strict LCHF without touching a slice of bread, potato, rice, pasta, cake, biscuit, tropical fruit, root veg or bananas, I met a friend for lunch. I was so good and chose what I thought was low carb lunch - dressed crab with lemon mayo and salad leaves. Then the artisan breads arrived to accompany it.

I finished my crab before my friend finished their meal, so I started on the bread, possibly out of boredom. Just one slice, then a second. I thought it would be okay as I went for an extra long walk afterwards, much of it uphill so I felt I'd burned it off but an interesting/disturbing thing has happened since. I've had no willpower to resist bad food since I've been home. I was craving a hot cross bun, so bought some, then my daughter shared some chocolates with me and I accepted 4. 4!! Up unti today I've been able to resist all chocolate and sweets for over a month. I even gave my biscotti to my friend when we had our morning lattes before moving on to lunch.

I'm now snacking on things in the fridge, including a cold sausage left over from breakfast. I suppose I need to put this down as a learning curve/wake up call.

Could it really be those two small slices of healthy looking artisan bread that caused this?

I am sorry to read that you fell of the wagon with such a loud thud... I confess, I would have been the same if I had tried to have just a little bread. I know that it is easier for me not to have something than to have a little of what I like. We are all different, but I remember once (a few years ago) going without anything sweet (cakes, biscuits, chocolate) for 6 months. Not really missing it, either. Then was invited at a relative's house and she produced some biscuits. I thought I had overcome my sweet tooth and took one. Then another and another.

The following day I bought a packet (and eat it), the day after I bought two packets of biscuits (buy one, get one free... I thought, I could restrain myself - buy I eat both the same day).

I never got back to cutting out sweet things again until I started on the low carb diet a fortnight ago. I KNOW, if I had one slice of bread or biscuit or cake or chocolate now, I would go back to my old habits.

We learn, Diana, and it's like being an alcoholic... for me (and perhaps you) it is easier to abstain completely than to have a taste of something.

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
Strange. I don't find a low carb diet restrictive at all. It is just different.

I would say it's restrictive because most of the food I like your not supposed to eat and the food you are allowed I don't like!

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
I would say it's restrictive because most of the food I like your not supposed to eat and the food you are allowed I don't like!

Personal choice I say but most of us who follow it don't report on here they've just seen a double figure blood sugar reading on their meter or report they're putting weight on or struggle to find medication that works so it's worth sticking with as a new way of eating for life-you've just got be be creative-there's loads of great low carb food ideas on the net.

Reactions: 3 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Don't beat yourself up dianagrace about falling off the wagon, we often get these sort of threads on the forum and after all we are all human :)

A

Avocado Sevenfold

That's unfortunate. I have been really lucky that the D friendly diet contains loads of food I love :)