Big nasty infusion site

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Pump site has been uncomfortable today and the last few hours I would say painful. So as soon as the kids are down I rip it off. The whole area around the site a bit bigger than a £2 coin is raised, red, hard to the touch. I'm guessing inflamation if not outright infection. The site has been in place 3-5 days max, no longer.

What are my best options? Call 999? Field amputation? Take some aspirin? Has anyone had this kind of thing happen?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Pump site has been uncomfortable today and the last few hours I would say painful. So as soon as the kids are down I rip it off. The whole area around the site a bit bigger than a £2 coin is raised, red, hard to the touch. I'm guessing inflamation if not outright infection. The site has been in place 3-5 days max, no longer.

What are my best options? Call 999? Field amputation? Take some aspirin? Has anyone had this kind of thing happen?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App
You have probably got yourself an abscess, Put a hot compress on it to draw out any muck and put a dressing over it and repeat in the morning. If your temp rises then call 111 or your after ours lot for antibiotics/advice.

You should never leave tethlon cannulas in for more than 3 days and steel ones for no more than 2. A to stop infection and B to make sure you don't cause scar tissue to form and thus make your cannula sites useless.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

fig

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
i have no idea what to suggest but i hope it soon gets better

Julie1471

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Having high blood sugars!!!!!
I'd say field and antibiotics( only joking) got one on my arm when pregnant with my first spent a week with it thinking I'd been bitten buy a mossie. Second week went to Doc's and was told get it lanced as antibiotics leave a hard lump. Went to A&E and first Dr didn't get it all, went back to Hp next, day to be told they didn't get. Second time they got it all and all I felt was relief. So know exactly how much it can hurt. Get it looked at don't leave like I did have nice scar and a slight lump.Plus I change 3rd day, but if I forget change early on the 4th.