Is it ok to miss breakfast

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm not sure whether you are type 1, 2, 1.5 or prediabetic, but, I think nausea at the thought of food in the mornings is an indication of 2 things - pregnancy, and f*cked up blood sugar (according to Montignac, Hay and I think Atkins). Sure you aren't preggers? Grin

No? Ok, joking aside, I think that the less you feel like eating, the more you need to.

I know that in my case, my blood sugar levels rise slowly all morning, until one of 2 things happen. Either I trip into a hypo (when I use up all that blood sugar, and drop down the other side), or I eat.

The moment I eat, my body relaxes, my blood sugar steadies, or drops.

The second option results in a lower average blood glucose level AND is much kinder to my entire system. It also teaches my body to expect food, and starts to function more normally.

Interestingly, I also feel better all day if I eat breakfast. Much less tired and achy, better concentration... More stamina.

vbrown

I wish with my whole heart that I was pregnant but unfortunatly I'm not I and on metformin 2am and 2pm I have never been a breakfast person so I'm not use to it I have on my been a diabetic for a month and a bit

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I haven't had breakfast for decades and can see no reason to change this. Quite the contrary, I try intermittent fasting now so don't eat for 16 hours.

Reactions: 2 people

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
I think it's ok to miss any meal you like. I read a lot that breakfast is the most important meal if the day but I don't have much of an appetite in the morning. I certainly wouldn't force myself to eat.

Reactions: 3 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I think you will feel a lot better if you do try a little breakfast. It doesn't have to be much to start with, perhaps a plain yogurt with some berries thrown in? Or even one piece of toast and butter if your sugar levels can cope with bread. You will find you are less hungry by lunch time and therefore not tempted to over eat, and honestly, you will have much more energy and brain power during the morning.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I haven't had breakfast for decades and can see no reason to change this. Quite the contrary, I try intermittent fasting now so don't eat for 16 hours.

Totto,
I think I saw you write that you only eat once, maybe twice a day? Or am I mis-remembering?
And don't you eat very low carb and HIGH fat? That obviously works for you, but it may have a big influence on why so much fasting is successful for you.

Vbrown,
What is your usual diet? And do you know your usual fasting blood glucose level?

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I have never been able to eat breakfast, only ever ate it at boarding school, (cos we was starving ma'am). I don't eat till about 11/12.
I do have a coffee first thing with either MCT or coconut oil in with cream, keeps me full for a while.

Reactions: 3 people

skgb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had been doing the intermittent fasting diet for a while but since being diagnosed 2 weeks ago I have stopped as I thought that it would be bad for me. Is it Ok to still do this and does it help the bg scores?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you do the 5:2 diet? Or whole day fasting?

Fasting has a huge and very successful history, for religious, cultural, weight loss (and starvation!) reasons.

I'm just a wee bit wary of it for a diabetic, until they know what it will do to their glucose levels - especially if they tend to eat more carbs after the fast (carb cravings).

I wonder what Totto thinks - and I suspect she (?) has more experience of the subject than I do!

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Totto,
I think I saw you write that you only eat once, maybe twice a day? Or am I mis-remembering?
And don't you eat very low carb and HIGH fat? That obviously works for you, but it may have a big influence on why so much fasting is successful for you.

Usually I eat when I am hungry not only once but at least twice a day. I find that now that I am in a steady state of ketosis I can go for a long time without food and still body and mind are alert and energetic. I guess the high fat part of LCHF does a lot to help.

Reactions: 5 people

Karen.G.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Depends whether you have to take medication or not! I have to eat breakfast as I take my first injection and my meds.

It's also better for you if you are trying to lose weight. But it doesn't have to be huge - a piece of fruit/smoothie/glass of juice etc.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Depends whether you have to take medication or not! I have to eat breakfast as I take my first injection and my meds.

It's also better for you if you are trying to lose weight. But it doesn't have to be huge - a piece of fruit/smoothie/glass of juice etc.
What you want to avoid if you want to loose weight are fast acting carbs like fruit and particularly fruit juice. And if you want to keep bg normal as well.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What you want to avoid if you want to loose weight are fast acting carbs like fruit and particularly fruit juice. And if you want to keep bg normal as well.

Yes, I drink smoothies, but only green smoothies, where the fruit is mixed with veg, particularly leafy green veg like spinach or kale. This stops the sugars in the fruit from sending my blood glucose sky high. I wouldn't touch a shop bought smoothie. They usually have sugar added, and they are pasteurised, which destroys some of the vits and minerals. I do eat berries (they have the lowest sugar content), with cream, because the cream slows the sugar absorption.

Drinking bought fruit juice is like drinking sugar water.

See item 5 on this page
http://www.cracked.com/article_19433_the-6-most-horrifying-lies-food-industry-feeding-you.html

Karen.G.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
If you make your own fruit smoothies then they aren't as bad. Not everybody has the same kind of reaction to certain foods. Funnily enough I can eat some fruits without them having too bad effect on my blood sugars and it hasn't effected my weight loss. As I said different strokes for different fokes.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

I like to have breakfast as it starts my engine and tells my liver I am awake. Everyone is different though.

vbrown

My suger levels are quite high and I am on medication slow release metformin and I beer feel hungry in the morning I also have ibs is it ok to take my meds on a yoghurt or something similar I'm trying to lose weight fast as well

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would test to see how your BG behaves when you do or don't eat - some people's BG will continue to rise until they eat; others don't have a problem. Until you test, you won't know which category you fall into.

annelise

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unfriendly and bigotted persons; i.e. persons who do not have an open or enquiring mind - but all within reason - persons may have a reason to appear as such - we will never know their backgrounds or where they come from ...
I don't regularly eat breakfast (no appetite in the morning) but in order to prevent my liver dumping 'to kindly help me out' (I wish I could argue with it!), I will usually have a small handful of nuts in the morning to try to 'cheat' it ... - I am able to manage that.

annelise