How "big" is a spike?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've only been testing for a few days, but would like to know what you all consider to be a big spike.

So far my spikes before a meal and 2+ hours after have been:

The first 2 of the above took me over the recommended target levels for a type 2. The remaining 3 were all under the target levels for a non-diabetic.

I have also noticed that my peak seems to be about 2hrs 20mins after starting my meal, not the recommended 2 hours for testing.

C

catherinecherub

Hi,

I like a spike to be no greater than 2 points above my pre meal reading.
With regard to the timing, there have been several threads discussing this and some people test after finishing their meal. If it suits you to test 2hrs 20 minutes after to catch the spike then I would carry on.
I spoke to a Professor in the diabetes field and he reckoned the highest would be at 90 minutes, some here say 75 minutes so who can we follow?
Do what is right for you.

Reactions: 2 people

Omnipod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Those spikes seem pretty reasonable. I wouldnt worry about the spikes as such. The main thing is your reading before a meal. Everyone spikes with food. As long as your readings are within the norm before meals, then you are on target.

tomvonc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anyone who asks a question about diabetes without thinking what they're asking.
Those are figures I can only dream of lol :-(

Tom

tomvonc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anyone who asks a question about diabetes without thinking what they're asking.
Hi,

I like a spike to be no greater than 2 points above my pre meal reading.
With regard to the timing, there have been several threads discussing this and some people test after finishing their meal. If it suits you to test 2hrs 20 minutes after to catch the spike then I would carry on.
I spoke to a Professor in the diabetes field and he reckoned the highest would be at 90 minutes, some here say 75 minutes so who can we follow?
Do what is right for you.
Depends on what you eat. If I drink Golden Syrup, I guess I would spike at about 20 mins! If I ate some fried basmati rice, then I guess It would take a little longer, 90 mins perhaps.

Tom

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Depends on what you eat. If I drink Golden Syrup, I guess I would spike at about 20 mins! If I ate some fried basmati rice, then I guess It would take a little longer, 90 mins perhaps.

Tom

Have to agree on this. This is where the Glycemic Load of a meal comes into play, and what I try to follow.