Inset 30 grief

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
2 more Animas Inset 30 infusion sets wasted figuring out how they work despite practising on 2 with DSN and watching videos.

2 on top of that wasted: "Negative... impacted on the surface" as a great X-wing pilot once said. Luckily I checked and felt rather than saw that the canula was just on the surface. Second DKA in two weeks would not have been fun.

The needle is a behemoth and for the first time in 20 years makes me think I should get a needle clipper and a sharps bin for the safety of everyone around me.

The insertion method seems to involve waving it at my body and casting runes to see what angle it will go in at. If at all.

So on about my sixth attempt I finally got one to go in. Three hours later I feel a little twinge. An hour after that the clear plastic inspection window over the canula is full of blood.

Suffice to say I am going back to the 90 degree entry Inset II. It is a marvel of modern engineering by comparison. Despite giving an infection the size of a credit card. (Why can I use a CGM sensor canula for 2 weeks without incident, but a pump canula is trying to kill me after 4 days?)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
And I am now having to apply direct pressure and wads of gauze to stem the blood that is streaming out of the wound left by the Inset 30 after I pulled the sticker off. There is a bruise the size of a 20p piece centred around the canula entry point. I am not best pleased.

iHs

Never used the Inset 30 Spiker, but I think you've experienced what pumpers call a 'bleeder' and a bl00dy one at that :)

Animas should be able to provide other sets besides the Inset II and Inset 30 ? I think the Comfort is also available which goes in without an insertrr device and that might be a bit easier.

Hope the bleed stops with loads of pressure on the hole and possibly using a pack of frozen peas which works for me

Reactions: 2 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
To use the 30's make sure after you have done the procedure for setting it up including remembering to remove the guard, make sure you tuck the top (small bit of tape under the clips that you can see. This exposes the needle better and you can see where it is going.
Make sure you pinch your skin hold the inserter on tip toes and fire. Also make sure your finger is on the cannula over the clear plastic window and pull back gently. Then remove backing from tape and smooth it out doing the larger pad first. They are easier to use and a lot less fiddly than the II's.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
To use the 30's make sure after you have done the procedure for setting it up including remembering to remove the guard, make sure you tuck the top (small bit of tape under the clips that you can see. This exposes the needle better and you can see where it is going.
Make sure you pinch your skin hold the inserter on tip toes and fire. Also make sure your finger is on the cannula over the clear plastic window and pull back gently. Then remove backing from tape and smooth it out doing the larger pad first. They are easier to use and a lot less fiddly than the II's.
Thanks for that advice. I think I am doing all of that. To me the Inset IIs are simpler and more reliable to insert. None of those extra steps you listed, just fire and go. It is good to have the clear window though. That would be helpful on the Inset II even though the entry angle is 90 degrees.

The hardest thing for me with the Inset 30 is getting the angle right. I could do with the 30 degree angled guide bit that goes against the skin being much longer. For me it goes all over the place, won't sit firm and still, easily +/- 30 degrees error. Probably it is because I am too fat and wobbly. Back to Inset II on the thighs I think. But I will try Comfort. Thanks for the advice everyone.

Julie1471

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Having high blood sugars!!!!!
I've had the same problems Spiker, although with me, it feels like it goes in fine. Changed on Fri and used a 30, stang a little bit, but not a lot, yesterday morning a small dose of 2.50 to cover carbs, stang like hell and every time I bent forward it stang, went of when I went out to my parents, dosed for tea, which was a larger dose, but that didn't hurt?? But the first one I used I pulled apart lol. But the second one I used went in fine but when I rolled over in bed, it occluded only once, re primed and it was fine. But after yesterday's performance I've gone back to using inset ii as well.