Diabetes friendly food while travelling

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
I'm sure we're all familiar with this problem, sorry challenge, especially for those recently diagnosed.

Before diabetes diagnosis, calling in at a motorway services, waiting at a railway station, cafes at National Trust properties etc was all fairly straightforward. Burger and chips, croissants and muffins, sandwiches or baguettes, slab of carrot cake (not all at once mind), the choice was endless.

What are the choices now, and what are your favourite 'fast food' options?

At motorway services you can usually find somewhere that does all-day breakfasts (no toast or hash browns of course!), or at a stretch a burger on its own without the bun, especially a half-decent one like an Angus from Burger King. I've recently discovered in some of the newer motorway food courts the 'La Mexicana' franchise. You can avoid the wraps and have a very nice salad box with stripped beef or pork, peppers, guacamole and sour cream. Very tasty. There are some at major railway stations as well. If there's a M&S or Waitrose minimarket on the services you might find some edibles there, but usually cold - Greek salad, yoghurt, houmous etc. (I must remember to take a fork and spoon with me in the car!).

National Trust and similar attractions are more difficult. We don't tend to eat main meals there, so it's best just to plan around them and accept that you won't find anything - or take your own packed lunch. Some have decent ham or cheese salads, but keep off the commercial pickle (and bread).

Any other recommendations?

Reactions: 2 people

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
I'm usually a little naughty and go for kfc boneless banquet but swap the fries for another side, I usually have coleslaw and corn on the cob.

Otherwise a sit down meal at the pub or picnic in a cool bag.

ne0h

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm sure we're all familiar with this problem, sorry challenge, especially for those recently diagnosed.

Before diabetes diagnosis, calling in at a motorway services, waiting at a railway station, cafes at National Trust properties etc was all fairly straightforward. Burger and chips, croissants and muffins, sandwiches or baguettes, slab of carrot cake (not all at once mind), the choice was endless.

What are the choices now, and what are your favourite 'fast food' options?

At motorway services you can usually find somewhere that does all-day breakfasts (no toast or hash browns of course!), or at a stretch a burger on its own without the bun, especially a half-decent one like an Angus from Burger King. I've recently discovered in some of the newer motorway food courts the 'La Mexicana' franchise. You can avoid the wraps and have a very nice salad box with stripped beef or pork, peppers, guacamole and sour cream. Very tasty. There are some at major railway stations as well. If there's a M&S or Waitrose minimarket on the services you might find some edibles there, but usually cold - Greek salad, yoghurt, houmous etc. (I must remember to take a fork and spoon with me in the car!).

National Trust and similar attractions are more difficult. We don't tend to eat main meals there, so it's best just to plan around them and accept that you won't find anything - or take your own packed lunch. Some have decent ham or cheese salads, but keep off the commercial pickle (and bread).

Any other recommendations?
You don't need to become obsessive over your food. You say that calling in at the motorway services station 'used to be' straightforward but it still is. The simple fact is that you can eat what you want so long as you don't over do it. What applies to a regular person also applies to you. I eat fish and chips fairly regularly - at least once a week. I also don't have a problem buying a double whopper with fries & large coke at Burger King if I fancy it. I just eat what I want when I want and don't see a problem with this approach. I exercise regularly and that is what makes the big difference in controlling diabetes - not calories or carbs!. I hope this helps.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You don't need to become obsessive over your food. You say that calling in at the motorway services station 'used to be' straightforward but it still is. The simple fact is that you can eat what you want so long as you don't over do it. What applies to a regular person also applies to you. I eat fish and chips fairly regularly - at least once a week. I also don't have a problem buying a double whopper with fries & large coke at Burger King if I fancy it. I just eat what I want when I want and don't see a problem with this approach. I exercise regularly and that is what makes the big difference in controlling diabetes - not calories or carbs!. I hope this helps.
Lucky you. If I have a burger with fries and zero coke I feel too dizzy to drive for a couple of hours due to high bg.

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
Would ne0h, who has posted above, be kind enough to share his recent HbA1c results and post prandial glucose results with us? I'm sure many here would love to tuck into fish and chips or a double whopper, fries and a large coke, but would like to know the possible effects first. If his results are in the prized non-diabetic range, perhaps he could let us into the secrets of his exercise regime.
Looking forward to hearing how it's done!
Sally.

Reactions: 5 people

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I will happily share mine. Recent HbA1c 35, am a bit disappointed. Postprandial reading after my excursion into Burger King was 9.5.

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I eat at Burger King, throw the bun away and swap the chips for salad or give the chips to someone else. Bacon double cheeseburger best for throwing away the bun.

Reactions: 3 people

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Probably time to point out that anecdotal evidence can be misleading.
Some people can cope with loads of carbs.
Others can't.
Always eat to your meter.

Mainly, you have to get out of the mindset that if you have paid for it you have to eat it.
Some good suggestions about buying complete meals then throwing away the items which don't match your diet.

Cheers

LGC

ne0h

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Lucky you. If I have a burger with fries and zero coke I feel too dizzy to drive for a couple of hours due to high bg.
Really? From time to time my blood glucose levels are so high that the meter just says "hi"! Even when my bg is that high I do not recall feeling dizzy. Maybe you have issues aside from diabetes.

ne0h

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Would ne0h, who has posted above, be kind enough to share his recent HbA1c results and post prandial glucose results with us? I'm sure many here would love to tuck into fish and chips or a double whopper, fries and a large coke, but would like to know the possible effects first. If his results are in the prized non-diabetic range, perhaps he could let us into the secrets of his exercise regime.
Looking forward to hearing how it's done!
Sally.
To be honest I cannot say that I understand what you are asking. I don't know anything about "HbA1c" or "post prandial" glucose results. Clearly, you must be a scientific whizz or some kind of medical expert. All I know is how to test my blood glucose on a meter. I have not tested for a while because I have just started taking Gliclazide with Metformin and I want the tablets to take effect before I test again.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Really? From time to time my blood glucose levels are so high that the meter just says "hi"! Even when my bg is that high I do not recall feeling dizzy. Maybe you have issues aside from diabetes.

Ne0h, indulge me pleas. Could you explain to me what"hi" means. I think I must have got confused somewhere along the line.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And what do you do when your meter says hi? I try to keep my bg below 7 at all times, not that I manage always but most days.

And no, this dizziness, sort of feeling drugged only comes when my bg goes above normal, say above 8 or there about. It was such a relief to get an explanation for this, along with the tiredness and as I feel so much better when bg is normal I want to keep it normal.

The risk for developing diabetes complications must very high if you run your bg in levels your meter can´t even test for?

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
Ne0h wrote, "I don't know anything about "HbA1c" or "post prandial" glucose results.". In which case, Ne0h, as a diabetic, I suggest you find out as it could save your health and ultimately your life. If you are a genuine contributor to this forum, you will find explanations on the web site associated with this forum, however, if you are just here to be silly, please stop putting other newcomer's health at risk with your foolish remarks.
Sally

Reactions: 10 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Let's not feed the troll (burger and chip, followed BT chocolate gateaux) boys and girls.

Reactions: 7 people

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
good grief, are you for real @ne0h? you really need to do some reading before giving out ridiculous advice, you clearly dont know the first thing about your condition, which is fine but not fine to give out dangerous advice to others

Reactions: 13 people

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
And why don't you just **** off and stop interfering in what does not concern you?
and we don't need to swear even with stars. If you can't articulate your reasoning nicely then please just ignore the thing that has annoyed you.

I also can eat fish and chips and do so every friday but I do not eat more than about 100g of chips although I could train myself up to have more but then I would just over indulge. I balance this off with a walk or cycle (yes there it is again the cycle word) about 45 mins after and at 2 hours I would be back at less than 5 (but that means nothing to you).

Most T2s on here cannot handle them without their bg levels going Hi like yours and they are not willing to accept the risks that that carries. I am lucky in that my F+C even without exercise will only take me to 7.5 peak and 6.5 @2hours (although in Feb it would take me to a peak of 9 so some improvement in my T2).

Reactions: 6 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And why don't you just **** off and stop interfering in what does not concern you?

Gosh. How nice. I can only assume you missed a few classes at charm school.

My concern, and belief, is that you are being deliberately inflammatory in an environment where new people may be feeling quite vulnerable and confused already.

If I have misjudged your behaviour, and you really believe in what you say, then I hope you are very lucky and avoid any of the nasty consequences that long term, high blood sugars so often bring.

Reactions: 5 people

gosling

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Vegetables, but force myself to eat them,
Hi your so right you don,t need to be too obsessive as you will eventually get bored and fed up with the same stuff. Eat what you like (within reason) occasionally but it is the exercise that makes all the difference even a good power walk after a meal just so your digestive system doesn,t get sluggish.