Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It is certainly a learning curve!

Why don't you make a shopping list of a few of the suggestions, and go out and get a shopping bag of stuff that appeals to you. Nice food. Veg you like, cheeses you like, sugar free jelly, cream... Then come home and have a feast.

Life looks is so much better with a full store cupboard and a full tum.

Reactions: 7 people

nannyg123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
whingers
Thank you all for th replies .good thing to hear I can still have cauliflower cheese didn't think I would be able. Funny thing is the diabetes dr mentioned Cheerios and Special K to me but when I looked at Special K it seemed to have a
Ot more carbs in it.had a really hard night last had a good look around the Internet and it all seems depressing feel like I have been given a death sentence.

My levels seem to be going down this morning my fasting one was 102 when I was tested it was 143 hoping that is good?
Also lost between 6 and 10 lbs (don't know how good my scales are ). Just wish I was not so depressed.
Hi
I love cauli cheese but always make the sauce without flour now so less carbs. I use a tub of cream cheese with herbs, Parmesan, strong cheddar and double cream. Melt together in a pan and pour over steamed cauli. Few sprinkles cheese on top and in oven for 15mins to brown the top. Yummy

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
Thank you all for th replies .good thing to hear I can still have cauliflower cheese didn't think I would be able. Funny thing is the diabetes dr mentioned Cheerios and Special K to me but when I looked at Special K it seemed to have a
Ot more carbs in it.had a really hard night last had a good look around the Internet and it all seems depressing feel like I have been given a death sentence.

My levels seem to be going down this morning my fasting one was 102 when I was tested it was 143 hoping that is good?
Also lost between 6 and 10 lbs (don't know how good my scales are ). Just wish I was not so depressed.
This is not something I have ever said before, but I would take anything your doctor tells you about diet with a pinch of salt. I had a meter from the start and the way they told me to eat was putting my BG way higher than I wanted.

Reactions: 4 people

Jordansmum

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You can have double cream ? It's really confusing things I thought would be banned you can eat and things i thought you could eat are banned.

tomvonc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anyone who asks a question about diabetes without thinking what they're asking.
I more or less eat what I did prediagnosis, I just bolus for it. To be fair though, I have always had quite a healthy diet. I try to avoid high GI carbs, as if I take enough insulin to cover the spike, I can set my watch by the hypo that happens 1hr later. I do treat myself to the odd dessert etc. I figure that being miserable is far worse for my health than the odd blood sugar spike.

Tom

Edit: Sorry, just realised OP is T2, so most of what I have said is irrellavent.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
Jordansmum those of us who do a low carb high fat diet have cream, l don't use milk in my coffee but single cream also in my berrys.
There is a forum down on the food section with lot info and questions answered and also dietdoctor. explains it. I do LCHF and my bloods are brilliant. It doesn't mean we eat slabs of fat. I follow sort of Vivs modified Atkins but the more confident you get the more you experiment.
So long as you are a standard diabetic if not and there is other health issues ask if anyone on here has similar problems and what they do.. and dietdoctor will also probably cover a lot of things.

Jordansmum

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's not just the food it's all the different numbers that get confusing the more I look the more confused I become lol .thanks everyone for your replies.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You can have double cream ? It's really confusing things I thought would be banned you can eat and things i thought you could eat are banned.

Oh yes, double cream, cheese, butter, eggs... None of those cause a blood sugar rise.

I've started having cream in my coffee. Every morning. Sometimes that is all I need for breakfast!

You haven't said whether you have been diagnosed type 1 or type 2? And have you been prescribed any medication? If you are a type 2 (which generally means you were grown up before you developed symptoms, and they usually start you off with minimal medication and try to control it with diet and exercise) then you may do really well with low carb eating. Check out the low carb forum for some brilliant suggestions.

This evening I had tomato, courgette and aubergine bake with an almond and Parmesan topping. With baked mushrooms and Stilton. Then for afters, we had low carb sponge with apple and cinnamon. I can give you the recipes if you like.

Imagine a breakfast where you get to eat scrambled eggs, cooked in butter, with grilled tomatoes, low sugar baked beans and that wonderful coffee. Or a few slices of your favourite cheese?

It really isn't about denial. It's just about changing your headspace.

Reactions: 7 people

tomvonc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anyone who asks a question about diabetes without thinking what they're asking.
Lo

Low sugar and salt Heinz baked beans seem to have very litle effect on me. Unfortunately bread doesnt work well for me. I have a risotto made with barley instead of rice sometimes.
Barley works really well for a "risotto" if you tang it up with lemon juice and use a sharp cheese like Feta. Not a risotto in the traditional sense but pretty **** good. I find barley a bit heavy unless you "tang it up".

My other lo-carb fave is a breakfast of pancakes made with ground almonds and eggs. Even better if you add a mashed up banana or some berries. Do a Google search for "lo carb recipes" to get some ideas. Then only your imagination is the limit.

I do miss bread, pasta, white rice etc (yes I know that being type 1 I can bolus for it, but the more carbs I have, the more likely I am to error with insulin doses and end up either sky high or flat on the floor) But I don't miss them as much as I thought I would.

Tom

Jordansmum

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
He's great he's the person I worry about he's only five and I want to see him grow up don't want him to be with out his mum keep thinking it's going to kill me before he grows up.

Jordansmum

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am type 2 and Metformin twice a day start blood pressure tablets next week I lived in americs at the moment she gave me pills straight away my fasting glucose level when tested was 142 this morning it Wes's 102 according to my meter.

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
He's great he's the person I worry about he's only five and I want to see him grow up don't want him to be with out his mum keep thinking it's going to kill me before he grows up.
then you have a reason to try hard. Monitor your blood before and after every meal to start with till you get to know which meals have the least effect.

Jordansmum

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Can some tell me if this is good bad or normal just done a test two hours after lunch and I am 82mg/dl before lunch I was 81 mg/dl thanks in advance

A

Avocado Sevenfold

It's not just the food it's all the different numbers that get confusing the more I look the more confused I become lol .thanks everyone for your replies.
It does seem a bit overwhelming now, but I promise it will become second nature. I am a low carb T2 veggie too and I honestly don't count anything! I just avoid the obvious carby foods (sugar, flour, pasta, potatoes, bread, starchy veg, fruit that isn't a berry) and just eat everything else. No need to count, just fill your boots! :)

Jordansmum

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh yes, double cream, cheese, butter, eggs... None of those cause a blood sugar rise.

I've started having cream in my coffee. Every morning. Sometimes that is all I need for breakfast!

You haven't said whether you have been diagnosed type 1 or type 2? And have you been prescribed any medication? If you are a type 2 (which generally means you were grown up before you developed symptoms, and they usually start you off with minimal medication and try to control it with diet and exercise) then you may do really well with low carb eating. Check out the low carb forum for some brilliant suggestions.

This evening I had tomato, courgette and aubergine bake with an almond and Parmesan topping. With baked mushrooms and Stilton. Then for afters, we had low carb sponge with apple and cinnamon. I can give you the recipes if you like.

Imagine a breakfast where you get to eat scrambled eggs, cooked in butter, with grilled tomatoes, low sugar baked beans and that wonderful coffee. Or a few slices of your favourite cheese?

It really isn't about denial. It's just about changing your headspace.
Thank you for your replies they are helping me feel better I would love the sponge recipe .thanks

nannyg123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
whingers
Hi
Yes, I too struggled with the concept of eating real cream after years of Elmlea or reduced fat creme fraiche but it works for me (and others on this forum). I do occasionally still use Elmlea, reduced fat cheddar etc but don't give it anywhere near as much thought as I used to and will continue like this while the weight comes off and my results are within NICE guidelines. Try it!

Jordansmum

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So I can eat low carb sponge and would strawberries a double cream be ok.sorry for all the questions