Healthy rice substitute...

Opalshards

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Liars, thieves, users, cruelty, doing the washing up. Lol
Well I bought a packet of no-rice rice a couple of weeks ago from Holland & Barrett. And finally got up the courage to use it. Well I prepared it and instead of putting it to the side of my plate I spread it out. I make a decent beef curry and I put this on top. OMG it looks like small maggots and I think maggots would have had more taste and texture. A 4 letter word beginning with C*** comes to mind, it may be healthy but it is not for me. Going to try Quinoa next, But I think I would rather cut back on brown rice. And as for the false spaghetti I think that can go in the bin untried. Does anyone actually like this stuff??

K

Kat100

I stick to just a very small,portion of the real rice it's basmati rice for me ....only about once a week .....x

Reactions: 2 people

Fallgal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've had the Slim Noodles by Eat Water, and had the Slim Rice by Eat Water tonight for the first time. I actually like both very much. Did you rinse it off first? add any salt/pepper/butter?

I've also made "rice" from cauliflower, but didn't like it very much. I used to love cauli in the States, but the cauli here tastes very different to me, especially when cooked.

Opalshards

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Yes I rinsed it per instructions. It should not need butter salt and pepper with curry on top. I don't like the consistency of it. I will stick with brown rice.
What's wrong with our Cauliflower I love it. There is no reason for it to taste any different.

tomvonc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anyone who asks a question about diabetes without thinking what they're asking.
Remember that Basmati rice has a much lower GI than long grain. About 55 as oppossed to 95 IIRC. So much easier for our comprimised glyceamic systems to handle. :)

Tom

Opalshards

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thanks for that Tom I will look into it.

ne0h

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Since when did rice become 'unhealthy'? Some of the crackpot diets on this site never cease to amaze me.

Reactions: 4 people

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Perhaps "unhealthy" is not the best word but rice is certainly carb laden and can certainly spike BG levels in the majority of diabetics.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 5 people

tomvonc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Since when did rice become 'unhealthy'? Some of the crackpot diets on this site never cease to amaze me.
Nothing wrong with rice if you don't have a broken Pancreas. It is just for me, long grain and carnoreli especially, sends my blood sugar out of control.

Tom

tomvonc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I've had the Slim Noodles by Eat Water, and had the Slim Rice by Eat Water tonight for the first time. I actually like both very much. Did you rinse it off first? add any salt/pepper/butter?

I've also made "rice" from cauliflower, but didn't like it very much. I used to love cauli in the States, but the cauli here tastes very different to me, especially when cooked.
Cauli tastes suspiciously like water! Hence the number of recipes involving strong cheese, bacon etc.

Tom

Opalshards

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I thought I would give it a go. But its not for me I like real food.:rolleyes:
I love Cauli but don't fancy it as a rice substitute.

Fallgal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes I rinsed it per instructions. It should not need butter salt and pepper with curry on top. I don't like the consistency of it. I will stick with brown rice.
What's wrong with our Cauliflower I love it. There is no reason for it to taste any different.

Of course it can taste different - different varieties, climates, soil, etc.

Opalshards

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin

It's good that you can eat rice and maintain good BGs - many can't. I saw from some of your other posts that you are able to eat lots of chocolate and drink full sugar Coke too. You are very lucky, full sugar Coke would probably kill me as my injected insulin wouldn't keep up. Still, as long as your HbA1c remains good that's the main thing.

What was your last HbA1c BTW? It doesn't seem to be in your profile and I can't see your signature from the mobile site.

Smidge

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Well I bought a packet of no-rice rice a couple of weeks ago from Holland & Barrett. And finally got up the courage to use it. Well I prepared it and instead of putting it to the side of my plate I spread it out. I make a decent beef curry and I put this on top. OMG it looks like small maggots and I think maggots would have had more taste and texture. A 4 letter word beginning with C*** comes to mind, it may be healthy but it is not for me. Going to try Quinoa next, But I think I would rather cut back on brown rice. And as for the false spaghetti I think that can go in the bin untried. Does anyone actually like this stuff??

Quinoa's quite nice and many Type 2s find it OK on BG in small portions. Tends to raise my BG at about 3 - 4 hours after eating it, so it's a difficult one for me to jab for as it hits after my insulin has worn off unfortunately - and I don't like it enough to do another jab!

Smidge

Opalshards

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Quinoa's quite nice and many Type 2s find it OK on BG in small portions. Tends to raise my BG at about 3 - 4 hours after eating it, so it's a difficult one for me to jab for as it hits after my insulin has worn off unfortunately - and I don't like it enough to do another jab!

Smidge

Thanks smidge I will give Quinoa a go.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A small portion of brown basmati rice is filling and doesnt spike me. I like cauli but I dont pretend that it is rice I have it with bolognese sauce but steam it until only just "al dente" other wise it loses its flavour and also it goes mushy Yuk
CAROL