Diabetes Type 2 taking Cinnamon powder

Krishen

Is there any member who takes or has been taking Cinnamon as a natural addition for diabetes type 2? I would like to know your experiences good or bad/any bad side effects.
Thank you.

Reactions: 2 people

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Start by doing an Advanced search with 'cinnamon' in the title. You will find 12 results including yours. You can also try searching with cinnamon in the text which I wouldn't advise as you will have 28 pages of results or 420 matches!!! :) Personally I haven't tried cinnamon but I would be interested to see what members say.

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
A little OT - but if you type "Cinnamon Challenge" into YouTube, you'll have a good laugh.

Back OT - I did try cinnamon, both as a suppliment, and as an addition to food. I was pretty dissapointed with the results.

I haven't ruled it out, though, and may give it another try.

No harm in trying.

Sue o2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I did try sprinkling cinnamon on my coffee and it did seem to lower my sugar, so pleased with that i purchased the capsules from a health food shop and took those for a while , depends on what else you are eating, i may try the capsules again now that im taking things a lot more seriosly
Sue

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Mary, your breakfast sounds delicious. I have greek joghurt too with a small handful of chopped nuts and seeds thrown in. Keeps me going all morning. Will also try some cinnamon on top. :)

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
I started using cinnamon powder to sprinkle over my porridge, thanks to a previous post on this forum.

Porridge or Ready Brek type cereals sent my BG through the roof, but by simply sprinkling cinnamon powder on top it stopped that "spike" and it tastes really good too. :D

Another breakfast time tip is pink grapefruit. I used to buy fresh grapefruits and squeeze them, but now I use Tesco own brand pink grapefruit juice, which is not from concentrate and works out at only £1 per carton if you buy them 3 at a time.

NOTE - you should not drink pink grapefruit if you are on meds - I'm still diet only

shirleymarye

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Sport !
I have cinnamon on my cereal every morning,been doing it for years,don't know if it helps or not, I keep taking it and living in hope that it is helping!

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
I've switched to cinnamon capsules now and take one every morning along with various others.

Bad news - I'm now on meds as my last blood count was 7.6 - 1 x 500mg Metformin :(

Good news - I now get free prescriptions :p

Every cloud....

BioHaZarD

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been taking 1 x cinnamon capsule every morning with 1 multi vitamin pill and 1 x 500 metformin. Been having the cinnamon for about 3.5 weeks, I am sure it is helping me at least. My daily levels are lower than before, but with also losing over 1 stone I am sure that helps too.

borlanddj

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Folks
During the Winter I always add a sprinkle of cinnamon to my porridge for taste and because if you look on the interweb there are some reports of a benefit to sugar level. It may or may not work, but it tastes nice and if it works, fine. Also try chewing the bark as an alternative to gum or other addictions, - mine is sugar free polos :D - you can get it from Chineese supplies stores in big bags.

TUI

I will start on this tomorrow on my yoghurt and strawberries, I always sprinkle milled flax with pumpkin and sunflower seeds on too on all my fruit and porridge breakfasts and that works for me.

Ricky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I also routinely mix a good spoonful with natural yoghurt and out on my home made muesli and soya meal from Holland and Barrats as it is the onky one I can find which is no GM beans and the ingrdients are soya beans and water and nothing else!!

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You have to watch what cinnamon you use. I found that the own brand powder from british supermarkets didn't have any effect. There are different varieties. I buy McCormicks (an American brand) from ebay http://www.mccormick.com/SpicesForHealt ... namon.aspx

I'm currently not using any at the moment as I'm not eating the cereal and ground almond breakfast mix that I put it on due to a slow healing tooth extraction. I haven't noticed that my levels are higher without the cinnamon.

MazbLogan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am no expert but read articles that said Cinnamon helped to regulate BG and as newly diagnosed and trying to improve with diet and upping activity thought I would give it a try. 1 Capsule a day seems to be helping me not to crave sweet things which can only be a good thing.

Geocacher

Be careful with Cinnamon, especially the variety commonly sold in supermarkets because it is Cassia Cinnamon and it contains Coumarin which is a liver toxin and antocoagulant.

A teaspoon of cassia cinnamon a day is above the level thought to be safe for the amount of coumarin it contains. Anyone who is already on any anticoagulant should not take cinnamon as a supplement because it can increase the risk of internal bleeding. Coumarin is also a known carcinogen and has been banned from use in tobacco products and perfumes. In the small amounts normally used in cooking and baking, cassia cinnamon is thought to be relatively safe.

Of the four varieties of bark sold under the name of cinnamon, the safest is cinnamomum verum (Sri Lanka cinnamon) which contains a very negligible amount of coumarin. Unfortunately, if you can find it, it is very expensive. I've tried it as a supplement and found it didn't produce the reduction in blood glucose claimed by the quackery of Dr. Mercola, and Dr. Oz and all the others. It was certainly not worth the £14 for a bottle of 60 capsules.

Having said all that, I still like cinnamon in my oatbran porridge and on my yoghurt, I just don't use more than needed to flavour my food.

Reactions: 4 people

Kutz Chman

The cinnamon use is clearly something that works. No one seems to be able to explain the correlation, but it does exist.
Not entirely sure about the effectiveness of it in capsule form as there's just to many variables to consider ranging from its source to outright fakes if the caps.
I myself use what is apparently the best form available which is Saigon Cinnamon and since I've been using it, there's def a change I know. Wouldn't say I see a noticeable lowering in my BG (T2 since 07 and using Metformin 850mg + piolgitozone 15mg 2x per day + 20mg Statins) but for sure I def do not feel the numbness/lack of sensation in the tip of my toes that used to happen first thing in the mornings.
This disappeared with the sprinkling of cinnamon powder on my bagels (cinnamon & raisin!). Hope this helps.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

A

adrianF

About a year ago I started mixing Cinnamon powder with boiled water every morning instead of drinking black tea. I'm so glad that it's part of my dietary intake. :)