Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Television
Hi everyone and happy Easter.
Can I ask a couple of questions?
I'm type 2 diabetic on metformin and diet and was diagnosed in November 2013 and I'm still very confused. As yet I've not had a dietician appointment and feel very bewildered by it all. I've got a good idea what I should and shouldn't be eating but Its sooo hard to get my head around.
Right 1st question, how often am I supposed to go and see my diabetic nurse?
2nd question, how often are we supposed to have the blood test to check our levels?
3rd question, are we supposed to have a blood glucose monitoring device. I feel that I should and I've asked but it seems to be falling on deaf ears
Last question, how long after diagnosis were you sent to a dietician ?
I feel like I'm moaning all the time and it's kind of getting me down
Thanks everyone any advice is much appreciated xxx

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
The nhs choices website tells a lot about what you should be entitled to as a type 2 diabetic. If it's listed on that website then you should get it..

Appointments with nurses, and bloodtests can vary hugely though. As does the entitlement to get a blood machine nowadays.

Look up on the nhs choices website or the NICE website..

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I threatened not to eat a single carb ever again if I didn't get a meter on prescription. Not one slice of fruit nor even half a carrot., only bacon, butter and eggs. This scared my DSN into giving me one.

How on earth will we be able to understand what a diabetes friendly diet is if we aren't supposed to test before and after meals is beyond me. Testing is vital.

I find LCHF works well for controlling bg. It also can help normalise cholesterol, blood pressure and weight.

Reactions: 2 people

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Usually as a newly diagnosed Type 2 you are monitored more often. otherwise you get an annual check up and HbA1c. If I have any questions or concerns in the interim period I make an appointment to see my GP. I go to a small surgery so the designated DN is just a practice nurse and I know more about diabetes than she does, so I only see her for my annual review when she does my blood pressure and checks my feet.

I've never seen a dietician or been on an education course. I've learnt everything I need to know from this site and the Diet Doctor site http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf (the concept is a bit hard to get your head around after being brainwashed that low fat is good, but I don't add extra fat to my food).

It is a postcode lottery whether you will get a meter or not. The answer is probably not as you are only on metformin. Many Type 2's fund their own meter and test strips - the Codefree is a less expensive one and is available from ebay, amazon or direct from Home Health http://www.homehealth-uk.com/medical/blood_glucose_monitor_testing.htm

It is important to have a meter so you can see what foods affect you. You test before a meal and then two hours after starting eating. You will be surprised how some foods effect you and know that if it has gone too high then that is a food to be avoided.

Reactions: 5 people

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Everything I wanted to say has been said by Totto and Denise. The codefree strips cost £7 as opposed to £25 for the ones available over the counter. You can get them from ebay too. If you're on tablets all your prescriptions are free. The monitors cost money so your doc won't give you one. Blood test should be once every 3 months. Your feet should be checked regularly too. Eye test by hospital annually. On the website for this forum is a list of questions to ask your dn. Your doc is worse than mine! Educate yourself - knowledge is power. They need a kick up the bum - don't let them get away with it. This is your health!

Reactions: 5 people