Writing BG Management App

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
lol it is because you have your mac set up to only allow app store files. You would need to change your setting in your mac. Did you get that when you clicked on it in safari? Try downloading it to the mac and then click on the jar

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Looks good Andrew, but I think I'll stick to Excel on my PC - I tend not to use tablets or smartphones for databases, even though I know you can.

I note your first reading is ticked as both a fasting and a preprandial reading - is that deliberate? (I.e. Testing before breakfast).

Do you intend including blood pressure, weight etc as well?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Andrew has a brilliant mind! Too brilliant for me. I record my readings on "my sugr" app but I would like to make an excel spread sheet. How did you set up the document please? :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.

Positive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been addicted to this site for few weeks and learnt a lot. I have down loaded Andrew Colvin's spread sheet, I did not want to use his spreadsheet without thanking him for all that hard work and community spirit to share his data with us. It is so useful to know how someone else done day to day than yourself. Like him I am desperately trying to reduce my sugar levels naturally and hopefully reverse my diabetes. I am so inspired by his journey beating diabetes. Keep the good work up. Thank you for sharing your records which undoubtedly will help me.

Reactions: 4 people

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Ladies and Gentlemen

I have now implemented some more graphs tonight. These show averages for
1. average of the samples in previous 24 hours for each point
2. average of all samples in previous 7 days
3. 7 day fasting average (rolling as above)
4. 30 day fasting average (rolling as above)

also implemented an error range on the HbA1c in the stats pane (-20% on all readings, +20% on all readings, +40% on all readings)

upload_2014-4-22_22-3-16.png

K

Kat100

Hi all,

I have started to write an app to manage all of my blood glucose readings and to give me graphs and different stats. Here are some screen shots of where I have got to today:

Main display showing all entries
View attachment 4292

The graph is zoomable with the mouse (also showing the fasting settings)
View attachment 4294

The next screen shot shows my pre and post prandials
View attachment 4295

The pane on the bottom right shows the average for the last 90 days (since last sample) and an estimate of the HbA1c some statistics on the fasting and 2 hour post-prandials (upper percentile is the 75th)
You are a professor ........:)

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I would lay off the Ready Brek if I was you.
lol and why would I want to lay of ready brek?

These are readings with a walk with the dogs between 1 and 2 hours after eating
19/04/14 07:28 4.6
19/04/14 08:23 6.2
19/04/14 09:23 4.7

and these with no exercise
23/04/14 07:47 4.9
23/04/14 09:42 6.2

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
OK version 0.0.3 is up and available. Major changes are:
1. readings can be added in the screen
2. readings are saved to an internal database and reloaded on start
3. average and sample graphs can be displayed together giving easier trend analysis
4. readings can be deleted within the table
5. readings can be edited in the table
6. When you zoom in you can now scroll through time using the scroll bar

The version can be downloaded from my google drive at https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B-z_UPs-Jl8aMTNrd0pMemd6Q2c&usp=sharing

I have created a video showing the tool in operation and is available on youtube at

upload_2014-4-26_21-22-27.png

here is an example of a rolling 7 day average for my fastings showing trends
upload_2014-4-26_21-27-34.png

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh dear.

I have successfully downloaded the jar, but am having difficulty importing my csv file. I'm using "File > Load File", then locating my file (on my desktop for now,) and clicking "Open". Then nothing.

If I try "Import Options", I don't get any.

I'm on Windows 7 Ultimate.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Oh dear.

I have successfully downloaded the jar, but am having difficulty importing my csv file. I'm using "File > Load File", then locating my file (on my desktop for now,) and clicking "Open". Then nothing.

If I try "Import Options", I don't get any.

I'm on Windows 7 Ultimate.
The import will only work with my format at the moment. Working on the import options so you can set the date format, separator character and field order. Got it working now just doing some testing so it will be available in next version.

Until then file needs to be in the following format:
Date|reading|pre flag|anything

Date must be formatted as 17/04/14 16:45
reading is in mmol/L
pre flag is TRUE anything else is false

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Version 0.0.5 uploaded for you all now. here are a list of changes:

3 new columns: food, exercise, comment
upload_2014-4-29_20-26-25.png

New options for the import functionality allowing the import to be tailored to your file structure
upload_2014-4-29_20-28-5.png

field codes are a single character per field
D=date time (in the format specified in the first field)
R=reading in mmol/L
P=TRUE or true for pre-prandial
_=ignore field
M=Food
E=exercise
C=Comment

New window showing the output of the file importer
upload_2014-4-29_20-32-28.png

Positive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Version 0.0.5 uploaded for you all now. here are a list of changes:

3 new columns: food, exercise, comment
View attachment 4441

New options for the import functionality allowing the import to be tailored to your file structure
View attachment 4446
field codes are a single character per field
D=date time (in the format specified in the first field)
R=reading in mmol/L
P=TRUE or true for pre-prandial
_=ignore field
M=Food
E=exercise
C=Comment

New window showing the output of the file importer
View attachment 4447
Andrew, I just watched the video guide to your spreadsheet. It is brilliant. I have to go over it few times to get around it, will do it as it is so useful to keep BS under control and eat some food I am missing in my diet but scared to touch. Thank you as I feel I have taken a step towards being in control. Feels good. 'exercise to your meter' is my latest motto-may be taken from you notes!
I only went for a BS check up because my sister in Australia found out she is diabetic and I was told that my gestational BS was higher side there is a higher chance of developing diabetes later in life. So here I am.
I was diagnosed in Feb this year 57mmol/L (wrong time to test as I returned from 5 week family holiday, a wedding and x'mas and no limit of rich food) DN gave the metoformin straight away took it for a week morning and evening but as instructed second week increased to 2x500mg in the morning and evening, with the increase dosage I felt horrible with a blotted tummy, and I decided not to take them after 3 days. Went to see DN and said I want to control BS with diet and exercise, she asked me to make sure I come for a check up in Sept..
Initial shock of told I have diabetes led me to go into internet to look for information/cures etc I did a juice diet which lot of dark green vegetable (after watching dr Berg's videos-healthy liver function helps pancreas), I was 63kg lost 4 kg within 2 weeks but needed variety in the diet so chosen low carbs, (very happy I can eat butter, love that) now 57.5kg (since 5.2'' I need to further loose 3kg) but very difficult to shift the weight been the same for weeks. BS is good always late 4,s -5.4,s. I want to increase carb intake as I only get carb from veg now, every time i try a bit BS go up. The other day ate 85g brown pasta, blood sugar was 9.6 after 2hrs.
I have decided to exercise before and after meals and check blood sugar every step of the way. At the moment using Aviva nano which is good but since SD codeless monitor strips are cheaper, ordered it from Amazon.
This site has been really encouraging, I keep reading successful stories keep me motivated hence other writing about their journey with their BS numbers are useful and encouraging.

Reactions: 2 people