Biscuits? I might not need them after all.

lrw60

Dislikes
salads, meat, being bored
I'm with you on the way to eat something like chocolate nowadays. It's a bit like sex, little and rarely. Sorry, I can make a square of chocolate last longer than a whole bar used to, and I think I enjoy it more too, when I get any that is.
Lee.

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Haha, your jelly obsession makes me laugh, Andy! I'm not as bad as you, only have it twice a week tops. I need to cut back on the dark chocolate though, had 2 Lindt bars in the past week!

Thundercat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The world's dark chocolate reserves are safe from me. I could never take to it (boo hoo :sad: ). When I have a choc craving my favourite is white choc. A square or too and the craving monster settles.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Finzi

Thundercat - it might be worth persevering. I started with 70%, and kept with that until it tasted really sweet. Now 70% tastes like a Milky Bar to me. Then I went up to 85% and now I have 90%. But I think the key is that you have to give it time. Also I found I preferred ones that had some additional flavour, eg my favourite is chocolate and orange. But like you, I really didn't like dark chocolate (not even Bourneville) at all at first. I stuck with it because any chocolate was better than none. And the big plus of very strong chocolate is that you really only need a tiny bit. I could never eat more than one square (and I often don't even eat that - sometimes I just break off half a square). I sued to eat between two and three bars of milk chocolate per day :(

Type 2 on Metformin, diagnosed Jan 2013, ultra low carber, Hba1C at diagnosis 8% (11mmol), now between 5 and 6 mmol. 20kg lost so far :)

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Coconut macaroons are very easy to make. They have only four ingredients, mix up easily, and require only 15 minutes to cook. The only trick, especially when not using sugar (which attracts moisture), is keeping them from being too dry. Here's how I do it.

Ingredients:
•2 cups unsweetened shredded coconut
•4 egg whites from large eggs (should be about ½ cup)
•1 teaspoon vanilla extract
•1 cup sugar substitute (I like liquid forms of Splenda, with zero carbs)
•about 2 Tablespoons water

Realise this is an old thread folks but question :- where the Fook do you get shredded coconut?! I've been buying toasted and blending it down a bit

Also I have powdered sweetener how much would you use to replace in the above recipe

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
1 cup of powdered sweetner(splenda i use) if you want to liquify the sweetner dissolve some in a liitle water, liquid zero carb splenda is from the US you have to buy it online as far as i know

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
The amounts below are approximate in most cases; experiment!
Granulated white sugar Notes 1 Cup 1 Tbsp. 1 tsp.
Xlitol granulated 1 Cup 1 Tbsp. 1 tsp.
Stevia powdered extract 1 1 tsp. 1/4 tsp. pinch
Stevia liquid extract 1 tsp. 6-9 drops 2-4 drops
Sweet 'n Low liquid 2 8 tsp. 1/2 tsp 1/2 pkt.
Sweet 'n Low powder 2 Tbsp. 1/3 tsp. few drops
Equal 3 7 1/4 tsp. 1/2 tsp. > 1/4 tsp.
Splenda 4 1 Cup 1 Tbsp. 1 tsp.
Erythritol 5 1 - 1 1/2 C. 1 Tbsp. + 1 tsp. +
Agave Nectar 6 2/3 Cup 2 tsp. 1/2 tsp. +
Notes:

1. Stevia is stable when used in cooking. It will not take the place of sugar in baking without changing the texture. You can substitute part of the sugar, however, and use sugar, xylitol or erythtitol for the rest of the sugar. Stevia has a slightly bitter aftertaste in many foods.

2. Sweet 'n Low is saccharine. It keeps it's sweetness when heated. It will not take the place of sugar in baking without changing the texture.

3. Equal is aspartame. It can be used in cooking, but tends to lose some of it's sweetness, the longer it is heated. When possible, add at or near the end of cooking. It will not take the place of sugar in baking without changing the texture.

4. Splenda is sucralose. It changes the texture of many baked goods. You may need to refrigerated baked items containing sucralose.

5. Erythritol is somewhat less sweet than sugar, and adds stability and shelf life to baked goods, usually without changing the texture too much.

6. In a recipe calling for white sugar, for each cup of sugar substituted by agave syrup, remove 1/4 to 1/3 Cup of liquid. If substituting agave for brown sugar, remove only 1/4 C. liquid for each cup of sugar called for.

Reactions: 2 people

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
if you crack an egg on the plate and place a champagne glass (for example) or a glass that is yolk sized over the yolk, you can simply tip the plate up and pour the egg whites into a cup, i used to hate seperating eggs until a friend suggested this method, its briiliant

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
if you crack an egg on the plate and place a champagne glass (for example) or a glass that is yolk sized over the yolk, you can simply tip the plate up and pour the egg whites into a cup, i used to hate seperating eggs until a friend suggested this method, its briiliant

Never had a problem - just use ny fingers

Charles Robin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
image.jpg

My wife and I made these for Easter. Biscuits made from almond meal and flax meal, sweetened with stevia. Chocolate made from 100% pure cacao! coconut oil and double cream! again sweetened with stevia.