Diagnosed this week with Type 2

crazicarol

Hi everyone . I was diagnosed on Wednesday with Type 2 diabetes & high cholesterol. Since then it has got me down as I keep thinking "I can't have this & I can't have that" what can I eat? I don't want to be diabetic and I'm struggling to come to terms with it.
I thought if I join this forum talking to other people in the same situation would help so here I am.
P.S I'm not normally this negative

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
everyone is negative [I'd say angry,upset and P'sed off] to start with, I haven't seen anyone come here happy about their new condition.
the simple thing for a new person to do is cut grain, grain product and potato, eat everything else. Eat more fat, throw away margarine . It's so simple to remember and you can adjust it later:)
most of the T2 finish up with a LCHF diet, so you might as well start with one
http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf

ask the Dr for a blood glucose meter, or buy the code free one from amazon uk and lots of strips
Oh and welcome to the club no one wants to be a member of

Reactions: 4 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. If you are an overweight T2 then by having the right diet you may be able to put the diabetes into remission; at least for quite a while. As Jack412 has suggested do cut down the carbs and focus on proteins and fats as well as veg and some fruit. Getting hold of a meter will enable you to see what foods affect your blood sugar most..

Jordansmum

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi everyone . I was diagnosed on Wednesday with Type 2 diabetes & high cholesterol. Since then it has got me down as I keep thinking "I can't have this & I can't have that" what can I eat? I don't want to be diabetic and I'm struggling to come to terms with it.
I thought if I join this forum talking to other people in the same situation would help so here I am.

Hi and welcome I was diagnosed last Tuesday and a a really bad few days it got completely on top of me came to this forum I felt much more positive (even more so when I found out what I could eat ), I have lost between 6lb and 10lb because I have been eating a lot less I know I can't eat this little for ever I wouldn't be good for me but I want to try and control through diet and exercise so far my numbers are coming down everyday and my weight now starters with a 13 rather than 14 st given me the kick up the bum to lose weight.
Hope you are ok xxx

Reactions: 2 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Welcome Carol, after a month I'm almost glad I was diagnosed T2 because it explained a lot and gave me the kick up the bum to do things I'd wanted to do anyway (exercise, lose weight). And hey I feel better than I can remember. It's natural to feel negative at first, but take control and it can really turn your life around.

Do you know what your diagnostic numbers were (fasting glucose, HbA1c, cholesterol)?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

I was diagnosed back in January and it gave me the kick up the bum I needed to have more respect for my body. I found this forum, took on board much of the advice, and took control of my own diet. I decided that weight loss was the best way forward for me initially (had 2 stones to lose) and then I would concentrate on the blood sugar side of things. In fact, I quickly realised they were much the same thing. I cut the carbs right down, cutting out the obvious culprits entirely and exercising portion control over my favourites such as bread and spuds. My weight started to come off and my blood sugars are improving. Try not to worry or get stressed about it. It's easier than you think.

Good luck

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
LOL

You can get a kick up the bum over the counter (ouch!), often sold together with a slap or a poke with a sharp stick. One hour after a meal there is some research that suggests it could cause some repeating, but no statistical significance has yet been demonstrated to differentiate from two hours.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
[/QUOTE]

Been there. It gives you drive to change and joining here is a great way to start so welcome to the first day of your new life. Ask questions and we will answer to our best abilities and help your choices.

I was only diagnosed at Christmas and I have turned my life around and, perversly, so much healthier now :confused: There are many with wonderful stories that will motivate and also many with problems that also motivate (very sad).

Good luck, we are here for you

Reactions: 6 people

ricardoharrison

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rascism / Fascism / Negativity
Welcome to the forum, this place is brilliant for advice and help. Ask any question you've got, there are no silly questions!!. With tweaks there's lots of options for food !!. Don't let it define you!.

Jordansmum

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello everyone another question I have been reading the what I ate today thread and wanted to ask as a person with t2 can you have something that is not good for you once in a while I don't mean everyday maybe once a week or twice a month. The thing is a am going home in a couple of months (live in us going back to England ) Can I have one bag of chip shop chips while I am there and a custard tart was looking forward to both before I was diagnosed last week . I will only eat them once while I am there and not on the same day. thanks

Crimsonclient

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
You can eat almost anything you like but in moderation, it's better to treat your self every once in a while than denying yourself and falling off the wagon completely

Type 2 diagnosed 24/01/2013.
Novomix 30, Victoza, Simvistatin.

Reactions: 2 people

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hello everyone another question I have been reading the what I ate today thread and wanted to ask as a person with t2 can you have something that is not good for you once in a while I don't mean everyday maybe once a week or twice a month. The thing is a am going home in a couple of months (live in us going back to England ) Can I have one bag of chip shop chips while I am there and a custard tart was looking forward to both before I was diagnosed last week . I will only eat them once while I am there and not on the same day. thanks
I am unusual amongst us in that I eat chips often. However I only eat a handful (what fits in my hand) not a whole bag. Weighs out to about 100g so not a whole bag.

A

AnnieC

Every one needs a treat now and then and that does no harm

crazicarol

I did the prickly thing this morning and it was 14.8 mmol/l and I have just done it again now and it's down to 9.8 mmol/l. Since last week it's not been lower than 12. I have been feeling really tired and not right all day could the big drop be the reason?

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think it's just that you're having an off day, I'm not saying it can't but I doubt that 9.8 would trip a false hypo.
have you read about cutting carbs and carb counting to get your BG down more?

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hi Carol and welcome to the forum:)

To help you follow some of the excellent advice you have been given above, here is the information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask more questions and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find well over 70,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes-and-whole-grains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to bloodglucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Aldebaran

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Carol. Don't worry. I was diagnosed a few weeks ago now and I'm struggling like mad to get my head around it. I got a meter and that is helpful. It's a lifestyle change and one you can't put off for years so getting your head around it is hard. You'll get there though. Lol, I've even managed to give chocolate away and believe me I think I'd marry the owner of Galaxy as I love it that much. Best of luck with your Diabetes.