Brazil World Cup

TOSH1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi

I was recently diagnosed with type 2 diabetes.

Prior to this I have already purchased my plane ticket for this years world cup and have numerous tickets to games including the England games.

I also have travel insurance which I purchased before I was diagnosed.

My question is, is it advisable to go now and if not would I be able to claim my money back via my insurance.

Regards

TOSH1

anteater2012

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
People who don't listen to others i.e. the 8 members of this forum I have put on ignore as they talk such utter **** all the time. This now includes the member who thinks they are a moderator.
What is it about T2 Diabetes that you think would stop you from getting on a plane and watching a few football matches?

Perhaps if you tell us what you are worried about with regards to T2 and travelling to Brazil we can dispel those myths and worries that you have.

PS.I got on a plane the day after I was diagnosed with T2. I then flew back and forth to/from the UK on a regular basis. I had no issues carrying my meter in my hand luggage. I took a couple of days worth of drugs in hand luggage (for just in case) and the remainder stayed in hold luggage.

The best piece of advice I have ever heard regarding Diabetes - "YOU control the disease - dont let IT control YOU"

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Can't see why you shouldn't go and the insurance would probably see it the same way, in which case yuo wouldn't get your money back.

Type 2 diabetes is more about watching what you eat than bunkering down and living in a shell. Anyway, you surely weren't going to Brazil to eat toast and marmelade, doughnuts, sweet and sour chicken and McDonalds were you? I am sure they have lots and lots of fantastic foods on offer. They have fish and chicken and pork and lots of spicy veg and salads.

The steakhouses are legendary:

skewers.jpg

Have a bit of fun googling up what sort of foods are in cafes and restaurants and then have fun trying them when you are in Brazil.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What on earth are you fretting about?
If you are on tablets make sure you take enough plus some spares, and your meter if you wish but I'm not sure I would take my meter. It's a holiday after all, and the England matches will be enough to make the blood sugars shoot up!!
Go, have fun, and best wishes to England.

PS. you will have to inform your insurance company of your change in circumstances before you travel though or you may find that should you have an accident or become ill with something, whether diabetes related or not, they will huff and puff about paying you out.

Reactions: 3 people

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Enjoy your trip.There will be no problem with the insurance, as long as you check the small print. The insurance company should be more than helpful if they are fully advised of your change of circumstances as and when they happen.( that will be printed in the small print ).
Best of luck you jammy sod.:)

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
Enjoy Brazil!:)

I'd go if I had the chance and I use insulin so nothing to fret about as others have said-just pack your meds the same as you would with taking Imodium with you for holiday tummy!;)

AlexMBrennan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
PS. you will have to inform your insurance company of your change in circumstances before you travel though or you may find that should you have an accident or become ill with something, whether diabetes related or not, they will huff and puff about paying you out.
Insurance will exclude pre-existing conditions, but since the disease was diagnosed after the insurance policy had been taken out (which will be in official medical records if proof is needed in the event of a dispute) they will have to cover diabetes related costs as well.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Insurance will exclude pre-existing conditions, but since the disease was diagnosed after the insurance policy had been taken out (which will be in official medical records if proof is needed in the event of a dispute) they will have to cover diabetes related costs as well.

But only if you declare it before you travel.

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
But only if you declare it before you travel.

I hear what you're saying but that could prove to be a very risky decision if the underwriters do some research and then refuse to pay out-always best to be 100% transparent if travelling abroad just in case the worst happens.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I hear what you're saying but that could prove to be a very risky decision if the underwriters do some research and then refuse to pay out-always best to be 100% transparent if travelling abroad just in case the worst happens.

I thought that was what I was saying! ;)

Reactions: 3 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

My son is also going to Brazil, but for the group stages only. He has tickets for matches in Recife and Salvador, but no England ones. I agree you should inform the insurance company of any changes in circumstances.

Have fun!

AlexMBrennan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry, should have clarified - yes, do tell them, but they can't "huff and puff" about paying.