Type 1 Anyone else got hand problems?

AngType1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been type 1 for 39 years and am having trouble with my hands. Apparently called diabetic hand syndrome (or cheiroarthropathy!), I am getting a lot of pain which is unusual apparently, especially at night. Any ideas how to ease this?

DFiona

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I have this amongst other side effects of Victoza. The pain and numbing is likely to be neuropathy. The extreme cold, I don't know.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Alanp35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cricket, golf
See your GP and get checked for Raynauds

Late onset T1, several auto immune issues.
Humalogmix25 twice a day, Methotrexate 25mg once per week, FolicAcid 5mg once per week, prednisolone 5mg daily, Allopurinol 300mg, Calcichew-D3 800iu, Levothyroxine 50mcg, Atenolol 50mg, Losarten 100mg, Aspirin 75mg, Nicorandil 20mg, Nitrolingual GTN spray, Metformin 2000mg, Allimemazine 10mg, Lanzoprazole 30mg, Atorvastatin 20mg, Co Codamol 8/500mg, Depo Medrone (Methylprednisolone) or double Prednisolone for 7 days in case of RA flare.

Diohandi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been type 1 for 39 years and am having trouble with my hands. Apparently called diabetic hand syndrome (or cheiroarthropathy!), I am getting a lot of pain which is unusual apparently, especially at night. Any ideas how to ease this?
I put my hands into hand slings by Mueller (I buy them from Amazon). They hold the thumb in position for me. Mind you, I also take pain relief. I take both Acetaminophen PM (I order it on eBay) as it helps sleep, and fentanyl lozenges only if the pain gets to a state of no return. My frustration is that cubital syndrome is not included in the standard definition of cheiroarthropathy, and I am getting both cubital syndrome and carpal tunnel syndrome. Circulation is impaired when I am on dialysis, leading to painful numbness, and I take a hot water bottle with me, to try and avoid these issues. I hope that this helps as advice. As long as you try to avoid the pain starting in the first place, it can be controlled. I tend to find that once the pain has set in, there's no turning back, no matter how strong your pain relief is.... Also, try and do exercises with stress balls and chime balls (2 in the hand, as a massage). I also do tapestry, to try and maintain my pinching function, as it is quite loose at present. I am experimenting with the exercises, so that I don't lose any flesh weight. A fellow dialysis patient has no flesh left so his tendons are visible even at rest. I am doing my best to not end up like him. My dexterity has diminished, so I get upset at times, when I try and do simple things such as opening a packet or jar. Good luck!!!