Stress with diabetes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hey I am having a lot of family troubles and they are stressing me out. They don't listen to me and blame me for things. Any advice?

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
No advice sorry, I think it's just part of growing up ! I'm guessing most of us felt like that in teenage year. It will pass.

Danny Prince

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
My Likes
I'm the same with mine, but Ik they're only looking out for my best interests, try see it form their point of view

ChloeAlisha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey I am having a lot of family troubles and they are stressing me out. They don't listen to me and blame me for things. Any advice?

Sometimes its best to take yourself away from the situation, try going to a quiet place and try to relax your mind, try thinking of happy times. I get this a lot as well. Be careful not to let yourself get too stressed because that can have a knock on effect on your BG. I know that sometimes its hard, but just take it on the chin, and keep it in mind that that usually have you in their best interests, and no matter how angry, bitter and mean they might seem, that they love you. I hope that this helps you :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

prickles1998

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yh ...Mum always trys to say theres a lot worse things than diabetes but I don't really see it that way :/ bad I know .she lectures me how it was such a change for the qhole family and how my younger siblings were affected?! Im like "yeah because it didn't affect me at all?!!" Seriously mum...the stress is ridiculous.!

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The hassle and ignorance of diabetes.
Yh ...Mum always trys to say theres a lot worse things than diabetes but I don't really see it that way :/ bad I know .she lectures me how it was such a change for the qhole family and how my younger siblings were affected?! Im like "yeah because it didn't affect me at all?!!" Seriously mum...the stress is ridiculous.!

Oh yes, I remember those well: 'You're lucky, you could be in a wheelchair or something" or "It's not that bad, you only have to inject xx times a day"...

If you keep any of your old Blood meters, dig out the lancet device and the box of unused lancets; then give them to your mum and say, "try this for starters: prick your finger before each meal and then two hours afterwards, plus once before bed, PLUS you have to jot down the results and how much you've eaten, plus what exercise you did, blah blah..."

Give her a week... or two weeks if she's a real headcase.

sunday

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
Yes, we parents often cannot imagine what you are going through and how it´s really like to handle diabetes. And we´re so old :) Most of us have forgotten how it is to be young and some of us remember very well and are afraid that you are going to make the same mistakes. And we know now what became of our mistakes. And we love you and because of this we want to help you to have a good life for a long time.
It´s difficult to accept that you have the right to make your own mistakes and to live life at your own way.
Sometimes we feel so helpless. We see you and we know, that it is difficult for you and we feel with you. But we also know what could happen if you don´t manage your diabetes. And we don´t want this for you and for your life and for ourselves. And we don´t know how we can help you and because of that we say stupid things and try to forbid things for you.
So I hope you forgive us stupid parents.

What you can do is to tell your parents where you want help (my daughter always wanted it with her diabetesdiary) and what you want to manage by your own. Tell them that it might be that it´s not perfect but you want to learn. Learning includes making mistakes.

Reactions: 6 people

srhtun

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sometimes its best to take yourself away from the situation, try going to a quiet place and try to relax your mind, try thinking of happy times. I get this a lot as well. Be careful not to let yourself get too stressed because that can have a knock on effect on your BG. I know that sometimes its hard, but just take it on the chin, and keep it in mind that that usually have you in their best interests, and no matter how angry, bitter and mean they might seem, that they love you. I hope that this helps you :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Be careful , trying to get away from the situation can increase stress afterwards.The correct move may be trying to look at the situation from a distance.Trying thinking different things can increase stress 'afterwards' either.In fact , the best way to deal with the stress may be feeling the emotion ( anger , hatred , disappointment ) and the effects of that emotion on your body.Maybe you're shaking , your stomach aches , your face blushes , your heart pounding fast , whatever .. Do not get involved with the cause of your feeling , just feel the feeling and how destructable it is.Feel them , do not think the situation over and over.Just feel it , do not avoid it.That's just life as it is .. Good luck :)