Puzzled....

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Further to the above (RTFM time), the flimsy sheet of instructions with HD Codefree contains a statistical analysis based on 174 comparisons (for >4.2 mmol/L) with a proper lab machine which concludes:

39% results within +/- 5%
66% within +/- 10%
88% within +/- 15%
98% within +/- 20%

There is also a control solution available as a separate item, I might get some.

Reactions: 2 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
yep..it's a lucky dip on the numbers

and we were wrong on the 5.8 and 7.2
for +/- 20% for a reading of 6, the strips can be 4.8 to 7.2

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
and we were wrong on the 5.8 and 7.2
for +/- 20% for a reading of 6, the strips can be 4.8 to 7.2

Just testing Jack ... ;)

Gudrun

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hmmm.. probably a lot less than stuff I like
Thank you all for your replies and input. It is very interesting. I can understand some variation between meters, but while it is not THAT important to me (no medication), for someone who has to adjust their meds according to the reading a big variation of readings can make their adjustments rather difficult (and potentially the impact of the medication less effective).

I have tried to take blood without squeezing my finger. Washed the hands in warm water, let the arm hang down, pricked myself and nothing happened. As I said, I've got thick skin. I massaged the finger downwards and finally managed a tiny drop. Enough for a reading of 5.0 (AccuChek). Then had a banana with Quark, 1 crispbread with pate and one hour later it was 6.1. I'm happy with those readings.

I'll stop comparing meters now. No good getting too confused. Will use the AccuChek strips until they've gone and then move over to the Codefree.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I know we shouldn't squeeze the fingers, but I have thick skin and unless I squeeze it, nothing comes out. But that is why I always make sure I have a big drop of blood to test from, so that whatever else comes out with the blood (and I remember reading about that somewhere, too), is kind of diluted.

Good morning Gudrun!

Well at last I have found an advantage to taking Warfarin...my blood is 2.5 times runnier than most peoples, so it just flows! No squeezing, no pulling. How good is that?!!! Not worth the endless itching and appointments with the nurse to get my levels checked though.:)

Reactions: 3 people