Progression to insulin.

errill

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi I haven't posted before so here goes.I read somewhere that due to the progressive nature of the disease type 2's often end up on insulin within 15 years ....is that likely? I am 5 stones + overweight on gliclazide and have piled on more weight and am just started sitagliptin from dietitian's recommendation with difficulty as surgery didnt want to prescribe. How do you control your hunger and possibly greed (!) to try and get the weight down a bit.Really don't like the thought of insulin and injections so any tips are most welcome.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

SirAndy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
ignorance
When I got diagnosed back in 2007 I was told that within five years I'd be on insulin.so far I'm showing no need for it and hopefully never will.
The fact is that not all diabetics are the same.

Gliclazide will contribute to weight gain so if you're on that you've got to be extra active I think.
Since my diabetic nurse put me on sitigliptin I feel as if I'm living again.If not for her I would still be on gliclazide (drowzcore aka death).

Maintaining a healthy balanced diet can be challenging but being aware of possible side affects shocks you into being serious about making the right changes in your life.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App