Neuropathy

Gudrun

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hmmm.. probably a lot less than stuff I like
For a few years I have had a numb feeling in part of my right thigh. Sometimes when I touch it, I feel nothing (just the pressure of the finger). Now I believe that this may be neuropathy, but it isn't there always. Sometimes it is very pronounced (and scary), and then it goes away again.

I had always thought that if we get nerve damage due to diabetes (and I'm only prediabetic so far), this damage would remain. Or do the nerves regenerate if the blood sugar levels go down?

I googled neuropathy, but didn't find the answers on the internet. Does someone know whether it is something that comes and goes?

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
have you had a bad back? L4 L5 is the outside and front of the thigh I think
being pre diabetic, I wouldn't worry too much about diabetic complications

Gudrun

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
have you had a bad back? L4 L5 is the outside and front of the thigh I think
being pre diabetic, I wouldn't worry too much about diabetic complications

Sometimes I've got a bad back, but I believe most people my age (64) have it now and then.

The numbness in my thigh may not be neuropathy, but I just wondered if it was, why it is not there all the time. I don't want to obsess about it, though. Was just curious.....

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've got leg numbness from a bad back, so that is why I thought to ask. I reread my post and it wasn't worded well, I didn't want to diminish your concern. It was to reassure you. we are aware of what can happen to people and it would be silly if we didn't take note of any similar symptoms in ourselves

Gudrun

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I've got leg numbness from a bad back, so that is why I thought to ask. I reread my post and it wasn't worded well, I didn't want to diminish your concern. It was to reassure you. we are aware of what can happen to people and it would be silly if we didn't take note of any similar symptoms in ourselves

Don't worry, Jack, I did understand what you meant (although wasn't sure of the connection with bad back and numbness in my thigh).

I am less concerned about the immediate future (being only prediabetic), but have seen my mother end up with gangrene in her foot (and going blind) and so I'm trying to do something about it before I get to be as bad as she was.

I just wondered whether neuropathy is something that is (at least potentially) reversible (in the early stages).

connie104

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Gudrun
I have suffered from neuropathy in my left leg for quite some time .
I have been under the pain clinic at my hospital for the last 9 months trying to find a medication that will help with the pain. Unfortunately the only thing that helps is opoid pain killers and quite a high dose so the side effects are awful falling asleep at the drop of a hat chronic constipation and complete loss of appetite resulting in losing 20+ kilos which I did not need to lose. The consultant told me the damage is not reversible so I have to put up with this.
I believe if caught early it is reversible so I might be one of the unlucky ones .

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Gudrun

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I have read about diabetic neuropathy nerve symptoms reduced when the BG is controlled, There can be some nerve repair but in general they have the opinion that there isn't much

I googled L4 L5 bad backs and numbness for you https://www.google.com.au/search?q=l4 l5 outside of thigh&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&client=firefox-a&channel=sb&gfe_rd=cr&ei=StVXU47PLMfC8ge-54GoCA

thanks, Jack... I don't have the sciatica (thankfully), just a backpain a few inches above the coccyx, and mostly if I bend forward a little rather than standing or sitting. The pain doesn't shoot down my leg, so I guess it's unrelated to the occasional numbness in the thigh. It sounds very painful to have - sciatica. Sorry to hear that you suffer from it.

I'll have a good read tomorrow.

Gudrun

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi Gudrun
I have suffered from neuropathy in my left leg for quite some time .
I have been under the pain clinic at my hospital for the last 9 months trying to find a medication that will help with the pain. Unfortunately the only thing that helps is opoid pain killers and quite a high dose so the side effects are awful falling asleep at the drop of a hat chronic constipation and complete loss of appetite resulting in losing 20+ kilos which I did not need to lose. The consultant told me the damage is not reversible so I have to put up with this.
I believe if caught early it is reversible so I might be one of the unlucky ones .

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

I'm sorry, Connie, that you have so much pain. I am also sorry that the only help are such pain killers as make the side effects nearly as bad as the condition itself.

I think those of us who have found out early are indeed lucky if they manage to reverse neuropathy or at least prevent it from getting worse. I don't have the numbness at the moment and will do my best to keep my BS as much under control as possible.

Diabetes can be such a nasty disease.

Reactions: 3 people

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
For a few years I have had a numb feeling in part of my right thigh. Sometimes when I touch it, I feel nothing (just the pressure of the finger). Now I believe that this may be neuropathy, but it isn't there always. Sometimes it is very pronounced (and scary), and then it goes away again.

I had always thought that if we get nerve damage due to diabetes (and I'm only prediabetic so far), this damage would remain. Or do the nerves regenerate if the blood sugar levels go down?

I googled neuropathy, but didn't find the answers on the internet. Does someone know whether it is something that comes and goes?

I had exactly that - after several months I went to the Dr & he diagnosed diabetic neuropathy - confirmed by blood tests - HbA1c - 11.

It was very sensitive - particularly to my wife's knees when she snuggled up to me.

That feeling continued for 8 years & got worse - crippling - until I adopted a LCHF diet. It completely cleared & 6 years on I am fit & well.

Gudrun

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I had exactly that - after several months I went to the Dr & he diagnosed diabetic neuropathy - confirmed by blood tests - HbA1c - 11.

It was very sensitive - particularly to my wife's knees when she snuggled up to me.

That feeling continued for 8 years & got worse - crippling - until I adopted a LCHF diet. It completely cleared & 6 years on I am fit & well.

That's very interesting, Ian... My numb thigh doesn't hurt (when it is numb), it just feels as though that part of the leg has gone to sleep. When I touch it, or prod it, I can feel the pressure, but not the sensation of touch.

It's fine at the moment and I guess I have to wait and see.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

What does your Dr say is the cause of the numbness?

Gudrun

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
What does your Dr say is the cause of the numbness?

I haven't mentioned it to my doctor. Perhaps I should have, but it never seemed enough reason to make an appointment; and when I saw him for other reasons, I always forgot.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I haven't mentioned it to my doctor. Perhaps I should have, but it never seemed enough reason to make an appointment; and when I saw him for other reasons, I always forgot.

I think you should mention it to your gp as it is causing you concern, nothing is too trivial when it comes to these matters and they'd rather you mention them than suffer in silence.

Beshlie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sometimes I've got a bad back, but I believe most people my age (64) have it now and then.

The numbness in my thigh may not be neuropathy, but I just wondered if it was, why it is not there all the time. I don't want to obsess about it, though. Was just curious.....

Hi Gudrun, I do hope you don't have neuropathy. I thought that is what I had as I lose feeling in my thigh muscles but it turned out to be degenerative disk disease in L4 and L5 of my spine, plus I have fibromyalgia and, if I don't pace myself I can get either pain or sometimes a numb 'feeling' both in my legs and pelvic area.

Take care, Beshlie

Gudrun

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I think you should mention it to your gp as it is causing you concern, nothing is too trivial when it comes to these matters and they'd rather you mention them than suffer in silence.

I'm gonna see my GP in a week or so on an unrelated matter. Will mention it then and see what he suggests.

I'm sorry to hear about your problems, Beshlie. Fibromyalgia is very unpleasant to have. For the first years after I developed ME I had it, too, but it has gone away now. It is so limiting...

Logen

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a pain under my left foot.. and i ignored it all along.. i read about neuropathy and i am quite concerned.. i hear its not reversible... but some say it can.. So i decided to be positive and play it safe... im on a diet.. i exercise..lotsa cardio.. Vitamin B 1 - 12 repairs neural damage .. so lets see wer this takes me ... I am not going down without a fight ( amputation).. So peeps i still believe in myself and u should 2 ,,

Reactions: 2 people

Adele99

Years ago I had extreme sensory nerve pain in my left flank. Not the usual place for SDN. Burning, too painful to touch and electric shock pain. Happened after a period of high blood sugars followed by an improvement in BGs. Diabetic consultant told me the nerves were trying to repair and firing off messages and this often happened when BG rates improved.

I no longer have this pain in that area, with the odd exception here and there, so it hat nerve must have improved. Unfortunately I have a load of nerve damage in other areas including autonomic neuropathy affecting intermittent gastroparesis , my heart rate and blood pressure doesn't regulate properly.

I take Alpha Lipoic Acid as I read it was used in Germany to help nerves repair, but I read the article years ago and it might have been disproved by now for all I know. Still it's a powerful antioxidant so hopefully does more good than harm.

Reactions: 4 people

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Gudrun? How is your numb spot on you thigh? I have something similar and went to Dr who was utterly uninterested.

gfmoore

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Apparently another word to look up is myothapy - which is pain sensations, whereas neropathy is lack of pain or sensation. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myopathy

I need to look this up myself as i have a terrible pain in my left tricep/bicep area. Used to have it in my right arm, but since a steroid injection in my right shoulder (a year ago) it has gone away.