Erectile Disfuntion

Nis1967

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that moan about slight colds and sniffles
Hi I'm 46 years old with diabetes type 1, I also have multiple sclerosis.
Has anyone used a penile injection called Alprostadil, how did it work, any side affect and how long did it last.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

andy williams

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I use an injection called Viridal (which contains Alprostadil). It's very easy to use, virtually painless, takes about 10 minutes max to kick-in and lasts about an hour.

Have you been to the clinic to be shown what to do and for them to ascertain what dosage is right for you?

This thread will interest you ( http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/erections.51570/ ) especially comment #8 by me and the attached pictures of what an injection cartrdige looks like.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nis1967

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thanks Andy for your reply, yes been shown by the clinic at my doctors, they starting me on 2.5 then increasing to 5 and so on till I meet the desired erection, my chemist doesn't stock, so ordered for tomorrow.
Have you got any tips to make it pain free and manageable?

andy williams

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bloody hell - I 'm on 10. I don't find the injection painful so I can't offer advice on that. I suppose it's technique - I just firmly insert the needle right in (as you know its only short) on one go - no jabbing about and pushing it in bit by bit. As for managing, I inject one side one week, the other side the next. I always use one a week even if my luck's not in so that the blood vessels and chambers get used to the expansion etc. One thing you will notice is that after a couple of months of regular use you will start to get early morning erections again.

I did mine at the ED clinic down at the General Hospital with a GU nurse as opposed to at the doctors in local diabetic clinic. She started me on 10 and it worked so I been on 10 ever since.

Nis1967

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thanks mate, just tried 5, it worked but needed a higher dose, just contacted the doctors to do me a prescription for 10 and put it on repeat. Can't wait for the mrs to get home lol.