i'm not overweight!!

lee-1970

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all,
I've quite literaly just joined this site so bear with me!
History first: 43 yo male, diagnosed t2 5 years ago. started on 1x 500mg metformin steadily increased to 4x 500 metformin & 4x 80 gliclazide. I'm guessing insulin is around the corner! I'm 5'7" and 5 years ago I was 11 stone, a good healthy weight for my height. Now I'm just under 8 stone and look like a stick. I eat like never before and always seem to be hungry.
I know if i search the forums I may find something helpful but whenever I've tried it always seems to be aimed at people wanting to loose weight.... I'm desperate to put it back on. I'm clueless as what to do, my Dr don't seem too helpful either, just keeps banging on about insulin. Personally, if it helps with weight gain and it IS inevitable,...
Anyone in or was in a similar possition, advice on how to gain the lbs and keep down the bg would be much appreciated.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi and welcome. I'd swap over to insulin, it would do you less harm than 320 gliclazide hammering what's left of your pancreas
I know it's not what you want to hear but you will be able to get some weight back on
what is your BG like? a lot say metformin and insulin are the safest diabetic drugs

Last edited by a moderator:

lee-1970

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Kind of what I was thinking. From what I've read metformin makes you loose weight and insulin put it on. Not at all sure about carbs, fat etc.
Only reason I've been dodging it is because we're saving for a morgage deposit- don't know if insulin dependant will effect things?
Just checked BG.... 23.1. two hours after dinner, not good!

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I wonder why they have you on metformin if you are underweight and it's not doing anything for your BG control? It's also possible that you've been misdiagnosed as Type 2 when you're actually Type 1? It seems to happen quite a lot. Insulin sounds like it could be the best step for you, as Jack says.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. You are almost certainly a Late onset T1 like quite a few on the forum including myself. We've all been thru it i.e. lost weight, GP hasn't a clue and labels us a T2, we starve ourselves of carbs have max tablets and still have high blood sugar. I'm afraid insulin will be next but don't worry it's a blessing in many ways. It enables you to eat far more flexibly and you can choose to eat more and put weight back on. With modern needles of 4mm and simple pens it's virtually painless; less so than doing finger pricks. You do have to test before driving and of course watch out for hypos. As and when you go onto insulin try to ensure the GP puts you on the T1 Basal/Bolus regime i.e. both daily and rapid meal-time insulins as this is the most flexible regime. BTW insulin only causes weight gain if you have too many carbs so it's your choice once on insulin.

lee-1970

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have to agree with the metformin. The doseage has gone up but so has my BG! And yes I have mentioned type 1.5 to my Dr, his reply was its all treated the same so makes no difference. Nice to know though! Sounds like insulin next. I'm not too bothered about taking it (carying it around will be a pain as a builder) if it makes me feel and look better.

I had a medium meaty pizza and some chicken wings BTW.

lee-1970

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for replies everyone,
sounds like your all confirming what I suspected, I.E. Insulin and possibly type 1/1.5.
I'll look up more about Basal/bolus as it's a new one on me! And thanks for the tip on insulin/carbs Daibel.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Kind of what I was thinking. From what I've read metformin makes you loose weight and insulin put it on. Not at all sure about carbs, fat etc.
Only reason I've been dodging it is because we're saving for a morgage deposit- don't know if insulin dependant will effect things?
Just checked BG.... 23.1. two hours after dinner, not good!
not good at all, do you have any keto strips? If you are throwing ketones you need to act. the last thing you need is a couple of days in hospital on an insulin drip with DKA
your Dr may drop the metformin depending how insulin resistant you are
ring up and ask anonymously about the mortgage

Last edited by a moderator:

lee-1970

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've just googled Ketones. Also a new one on me (think I'd know a bit more after 5 years!) I don't have strips but think I'll pop round the chemist and get some. Could explain the weight loss. Will also be seeing my Dr soon.
Thanks for bringing that up
not good at all, do you have any keto strips? If you are throwing ketones you need to act. the last thing you need is a couple of days in hospital on an insulin drip with DKA
your Dr may drop the metformin depending how insulin resistant you are
ring up and ask anonymously about the mortgage

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I only know what I read here, I'm just getting ready for when it's my turn that the tabs don 't work
I don't know but the chemist does BG they may also ave a blood strip ketone tester there. it's more accurate than urine
talk to the chemist, if you are throwing ketones get to A&E