Type 1.5 and DVLA

Foobs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I've just been diagnosed with type 1.5 after spending a year on diet only control and moving to Metformin about 8 weeks ago. I have now been switched from Metformin to using insulin.

I know that I have to inform DVLA (normal car license, not heavy goods), but what do I tell them? Am I classed as insulin dependant, type 1/1.5/2 treated with insulin (I doubt that they even know about 1.5/LADA) or should I tell them something else?

Any advice would be appreciated.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
I don't think they are concerned with type if I remember. Just how it is treated. Once you start on insulin you need to test prior to driving. Also, let your ins company know too.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

Foobs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I started on insulin yesterday, but I'm ok with the testing before and every two hours routine and keeping an eye on hypos.

It just feels like I'm having to lie to them. I think I might give her a call to set my mind at ease.

Thanks for the reply.

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Foobs!

I think there is a category for 'other' on the DVLA form. Seriously though, don't complicate it. If you have Type 1.5/LADA and it's insulin treated, it is an autoimmune form of diabetes and usually lumped in to Type 1. The DVLA will be OK if you call it Type1 - their only interest is in the insulin use. The more you complicate things with them, the more likely you are to lose your license unnecessarily. Keep it simple.

As for your diagnosis, if you haven't already had the tests to distinguish your Type, the doctor is just guessing. Ask for a GAD antibody test to see if you have an autoimmune form of diabetes and a c-peptide test to see how much insulin you are producing.

Smidge

Foobs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks all for your replies.

Smidge, in answer to your question, yes I have had the GAD test and it came back positive. I haven't had a c peptide test. What would the information gained from the results assist me with?