Hi All, diagnosed type 2 diabetes two years ago, has now gone into remission

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all, was diagnosed type 2 diabetes two years ago. In June 2013 I began 5/2 fasting, gradually enhancing the practise to two 40 hour water only fasts each week. My body mass index is now 21.9 and my diabetes has now gone into remission. I put it all down to the benefits and advantages of fasting - am not saying this is the only way it can be done, but am very grateful to Michael Moseley for bringing the practise of fasting into the 21st century and for encouraging so many to try it. I am disappointed with the NHS for generally trying to discourage it.

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Not too difficult at all. You don't leap into 40 hour water only fasts. You begin with 500-600 kcal of solid food (I used to have an apple, an orange, a pear, five carrots and either cabbage or an onion hot with stock cube in the evening.) The carrots keep the initial hunger pangs at bay because they are so fibrous; in time the hunger pangs go and you can wean yourself off solid food altogether. Takes about 9 months to get to that stage, I reckon.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Congratulations on your success

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you Andrew! I reckon being diabetic is a bit like being alcoholic - you never truly cease to be one, even if symptoms go into remission, so one must keep away from the naughties and the bad lifestyle for ever if one is to stay healthy. I have to say that the key to success in fasting/healthy eating etc.. is to start small and progress from there. If 500-600 kcal is difficult for you to begin with start with 700-800 kcal on two days a week and get used to that for a few weeks before trying anything more Spartan. These things literally get easier and easier with time. Read Michael Moseley to begin with if you like the idea of 5/2 - ing and get an idea of what the science behind it is. Take it step by step.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
As you can see I have had my own success without fasting (as you can see from my signature) reducing my blood sugars to normal within a 3 month period; although I did reduce my dietary intake substantially. If you are interested you can read how I achieved it in this thread got my first 3 month hba1c results this morning

I can definitely concur that carrots (for me in a raw state) stop me feeling hungry after a couple of mouthfuls.

You may be correct about never being gone, or is it just we now know what we have to avoid so are more mindful, I don't know; hope springs eternally and I would like to think one day we will all be cured or the whole world will wake up and smell the carbs for what they are. Although, I have been increasing my carb count to slow down my weight loss to (a painfully slow) 1lb per week to ensure my lifestyle change is more sustainable.

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Andrew, apologies for not replying sooner. You've made fantastic progress, long may it continue! Although my levels are within range without medication now, they're still at the higher end of normal so this trimester I'm going to make a big effort to cut the carbs by at least 100% and increase fruit/veg/fibre by at least as much. As you say, one day the whole world will wake up and smell the carbs for what they are. Hopefully it won't be too late by then! Best regards to you and your excellent progress!