Hypo after breakfast

tugbagurbuz

Helloo. I have been getting a lot of hypos about 2 hours after breakfast. My ratio is 1unit of insulin to 20g of carbs and although i eat the amount of carbs i eat normally i go low. I have been diabetic for about 3 months and a half but i never had a hypo before, i've had around 10 hypos in the last 2 weeks. Why could this be?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Probably after being treated with insulin for a few months, your insulin producing beta cells have temporarily become more active, after the injected insulin has given the cells a break. This is called the honeymoon period. It could last a few months or a few years. It helps to manage type 1 diabetes in some ways, while it lasts. As you have seen it can also be tricky.

What you need to do is increase your insulin to carb ratio to say 1 to 25g and see if that stops the hypos. If not, keep increasing the ratio gradually until the hypos stop. If you are on basal insulin you may need to decrease this slightly as well.

Reactions: 3 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I completely agree with Spiker above.

All I'll add is that, in my experience, I've thought I've cracked this diabetes lark and then something changes. Either a carb ratio alters slightly or my basal amount has to be tweaked.

Something that might help too - I do a different carb ratio depending on what meal of the day it is. I do 1.5u/10g at breakfast, 1u/10g at lunch and 2u/10g at teatime. If it's just after breakfast you're having a hypo it might only be the breakfast injection you need to change.

Reactions: 5 people

tugbagurbuz

Thank you so much guys, i reduced my basal but i think i need to reduce it even further as i woke up to a hypo this morning, although i didnt feel any symptoms. I guess i'll have to figure out which way works best :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Certainly carry out some basal tests to determine if your basal is set at the right dose then you can work on your meal-time ratio's, if you've not already got a bolus pen that dials-up in half units (like the Novopen Echo) then ask your DSN or GP if they can prescribe one for you.