Desmond

N

NicolaB70

Starting a 2 part Desmond course this morning. Don't really know what to expect but just hoping its worth it as I've woken up feeling like ****, with an extremely sore throat and headache. Can't really cancel at such short notice.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

miriamy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Medics who tell you what to do.
Politicians who blame people for being poor and praise bankers for being rich.
TV
Butter Beans
Hi Nicola
I did a desmond course in February this year. It was useful for the emphasis on healthy eating and the need to change my lifestyle. The main benefit was being in a room full of others with diabetes and their partners and friends for the first time and hearing how hard it is for others too. I realised then that I needed to face up to the fact that the REAL challenge is changing my behavior and that I need the help and support of others living with this condition to achieve this. So I came home and called diabetes uk for help to set up a support group in my town. The focus will be on supporting behaviour change with a supper and a walk to start every session. It's been helpful to get me to take my diabetes seriously and eat better....so far so good hope you enjoy your course.

Reactions: 9 people
N

NicolaB70

Thanks Miriam. I was diagnosed last June and there has been a long waiting list in my area for the course and this is the 1st one that's become available. I hope I get as much out of it as you have

miriamy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
TV
Butter Beans
I was diagnosed last April and eventually got on this Feb. There needs to be more investment in prevent and management resources

N

NicolaB70

The course was better then expected. I already knew majority of what was said as I've learnt it all from on here. The other people there were all a lot older then me and newly diagnosed so I think they benefitted from it more then me. One thing that Impressed me was that they didn't dismiss low carb and they actually advised it. Part 2 next week

miriamy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
TV
Butter Beans
Me too! After my diagnosis last April I came to diabetes Uk and learnt everything I know. Great support here.

Reactions: 2 people

DFiona

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been type 2 for 16 years -- never heard of a Desmond course! But then my area is hopeless for any support, it shouldn't surprise me. Live in London too!

Starting up a group on my own would be motivating as well as challenging. Food for thought.

Thanks peeps. :)

miriamy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
TV
Butter Beans
Starting the support group has been supportive in itself be a use I am having to face up to living with this serious condition. I've started testing again and writing down what I eat. It's hard and I feel irritable and emotional when I engage with my body and my dysfunctional relationship with food. I'm hoping my commitment to the group will help me through the pain threshold.

Reactions: 2 people

paulins

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Feeling I can never eat anything sweet again or anything with carbs. But thought of diabetes complications scares me more so it is a no brainer!
My DESMOND course is later in May. It is a whole day. I'll let you know how it goes. I was diagnosed in January 2014, and could have had an earlier date, but this suited my work commitments.