Victoza

DFiona

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Anyone else feel weird on Victoza? I hate the shakes, feeling cold and the odd feeling in my stomach and oesophagus :(. Also get constipation :(

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Crimsonclient

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
No when I first started taking it I had the complete opposite problem to constipation and I had this fermentation happening in my stomach and coming through my pores, and before that I had problems with metformin. But as soon as I stopped the metformin all my problems went away. So all I am on is insulin and Victoza and spoke to my consultant last week about this and he said it was unfortunate but fair enough

Type 2 diagnosed 24/01/2013.
Novomix 30, Victoza, metformin 2000mg sr (but not taking them as they play havoc with my insides,

DFiona

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
No when I first started taking it I had the complete opposite problem to constipation and I had this fermentation happening in my stomach and coming through my pores, and before that I had problems with metformin. But as soon as I stopped the metformin all my problems went away. So all I am on is insulin and Victoza and spoke to my consultant last week about this and he said it was unfortunate but fair enough

Novomix 30, Victoza, metformin 2000mg sr (but not taking them as they play havoc with my insides,

Metformin used to wreak havoc with my gut too. Switched to Sitagliptin tablets -- much better no side effects from that at least. My insulin is humulin I. Weight gain began when restarted insulin feb 2013, and now more problems with victoza. On top of a bowel problem already,osteoporosis, retinopathy and cataracts, the one thing which kept me happy was my much lighter, more mobile, less in pain, more attractive to men, self. I feel like screaming.

I am 48, single parent of 2 teens if anyone is interested . Even now I mask any problems I have with a grin.

Crimsonclient

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The Victoza in theory should help with weight loss as it is designed to suppress apatite, that's why my consultant wants me to stay on Victoza. It may pay to talk to dsn about this problem

DFiona

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
The Victoza in theory should help with weight loss as it is designed to suppress apatite, that's why my consultant wants me to stay on Victoza. It may pay to talk to dsn about this problem

Yes, suppresses it with nausea, gastric reflux and depression! The thing is, I had Hba1c of 10 when went back on insulin. Victoza started last week because hba1c still increasing despite increasing the insulin.

I eat virtually nothing: 1 rivita today and cup tea for breakfast, no lunch not hungry, then snack later of chicken fajita and veg wrap and diet coke, then feta and avocado salad plus coffee for dinner. That's it! If my appetite decreases further my liver will think I'm starving and anorexic!

DSN I doubt will be of any help. Sorry I am so angry.

Crimsonclient

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Is there a diabetes clinic at your local hospital? If there is is try going to see them as they are normally really good compared to dsn at gp surgery. It's ok about being angry we all are at some point along the line

DFiona

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Is there a diabetes clinic at your local hospital? If there is is try going to see them as they are normally really good compared to dsn at gp surgery. It's ok about being angry we all are at some point along the line

Thanks for support but it is so frustrating. I have been yoyoing on and off insulins for 16 years. The only time I have felt well in that time is when I have come off insulins. Resulting low weight, no side effects of abnormal liver function tests and no side effect lumps in armpits and groin, fab mood, feel attractive, clothes fitting, no pain from exercising as lighter so more mobile, etc, etc, etc.

I never use GP dsn as they cant cope with my complicated endo state. Been seeing different hospital teams in central london for years. I am an enigma. Nothing works for me and at the moment since starting victoza last week life is a big black hole. Endo psychs cant really help me either. Think I should maybe take my chances and go it alone. My kids are affected too with me like this - they want me off the f***ing stuff and back to my happy self. I know I need some diab meds, just wish they didnt make me feel like this. Makes me wonder if the diagnosis is correct.

teej77

Yes, suppresses it with nausea, gastric reflux and depression! The thing is, I had Hba1c of 10 when went back on insulin. Victoza started last week because hba1c still increasing despite increasing the insulin.

I eat virtually nothing: 1 rivita today and cup tea for breakfast, no lunch not hungry, then snack later of chicken fajita and veg wrap and diet coke, then feta and avocado salad plus coffee for dinner. That's it! If my appetite decreases further my liver will think I'm starving and anorexic!

DSN I doubt will be of any help. Sorry I am so angry.
I get how you feel, I am on Metformin, Glciside and Sitagliptin as tablets plus i am on 120 clicks on 30/70 insulin a day and no matter if i eat anything or nothing I can not control my sugars, In the mornings im started 13.5 fastening then i fight all day only having toast at 9 a sandwich or pot noodle at lunch then a good decent dinner at night no sugar sweetners if i can help it and no sauces or gravy and we still dont know why this is happening, My tummy always feels bad i get really bad wind and trapped wind and I could cry most days I feel so bad, my feet hurt daily and so do my hands, Im on here so I dont feel alone. I tried Victoza before the insulin and it made me very sick so came off it to go on the insulin. Hope you work it out soon lovely xxxx

Reactions: 2 people

teej77

Have you tried the slow release Metformin as I had the same problem and that helped me and I cut them down to 1000mg a day xx

Crimsonclient

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you tried the slow release Metformin as I had the same problem and that helped me and I cut them down to 1000mg a day xx
I had been on them but still couldn't take them my grandmother had an allergic reaction to metformin as well

Novomix 30, Victoza, Simvistatin.

DFiona

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Victoza seems to be working:). 6.7 this morning AFTER food! Took first main dose 1.2 victoza last night instead of in morning alongside reduced insulin from 28-24 clicks humulin I and hey ho am on my way. Feel kind queasy and hypo ish today but I am really trying. Nausea is so not conducive to eating much anyway -- swear thats how Victoza works to suppress appetite.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
“GLP-1 [which Victoza imitates] inhibits gastric secretion and motility. This delays and protracts carbohydrate absorption and contributes to a satiating effect.“

DFiona

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks Spiker. Does that mean it delays the whole digestive procrss? I am concerned because I have a slow digestion anyway.

DFiona

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Happy to report BG of 6.0 this morning.

Willing to wait for side effects to settle down before confronting my endo. Think my body gradually getting used to it. Certainly feel happier today.

BTW, if you haven't tried the Dario App yet, you should. I love that it carb counts for me and I can post my BG achievements onto Facebook etc, where my friends can motivate me to persevere, by 'liking'. It's a no-brainer to engender support. :)