Just had a kick up the rear end!!!

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
Well I had a bad March, all the while thinking I must start being good again. Then at the beginning of April I had my Hba1c. Its gone up.........from 6.3% in Oct to 7.5%!!!!!! Really didn't expect it to be so bad. So started being good again...mostly. I'm normally very low carb, 30g a dayish. At this point I was maybe having 50-100g a day. Well last night I got a call from my DSN, they had just got the results from my urine sample and I have protein in my urine. So tonight I have to go and collect a prescription for Ramipril. I have started to test again and I'm horrified by my results. 12.3 when I woke up today, 10.2 before lunch, 11.2 after lunch. I used to be around the 7-8 mark.

I have now ordered 100 codefree strips, I am determined to get my numbers back down. Maybe that will also help the weight loss (or lack of)too.

I guess sometimes we all get a bit complacent and do need this kick up the bum. I need to look at food and think first, is it worth losing my eye sight or a limb for? No of course its not.

Onward and downward!!!!!!!

Got to go back for blood tests in 4 weeks, hopefully there wont be any kidney problems and the only problem was my March Madness!!!!

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
It is so easy to let things slide when we are doing well. I've put a stone back on!
I'm building up for another few weeks on the Newcastle diet. Have some family events this weekend but start again on Monday. But 'being good' until then,
Cheese Omelette and tinned tomatoes for lunch, Greek yoghurt (with artificial sweetener),
It will be cauliflower and chickpea curry later.

Have you still got your pedometer Lenny? what have you been eating?

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
I do still have my pedometer but have been extremely lazy lately and haven't bothered with it.

I am having greek yog with a little rhubarb for breakfast, lunch is a salad, prob too much coleslaw, so I'm going to cut that out, also sugarfree jelly with fruit, gonna cut the fruit out, and a piece of almost bounty bar. mid morning snack is a cheese string, mid afternoon snack will be a salami stick. For dinner tonight I have planned a chicken breast wrapped in bacon, prob melt some cheese on top, with either cabbage, cauli or broccoli or a mixture of those. Last night I cut out my snack of peanuts, I also made some sugarfree jelly sweets for nibbles. So hopefully back on track now.

March was bad though, biscuits, cake, cheescake, chocolate(milk), pastries both sweet and savory, anything I shouldn't have really. :grumpy:

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I take it the ramipril is for high blood pressure, my Doctor recons I should stay on ramipril as it helps with my diabetes control.
It is your ass, so look after it and only kick yourself.
Sometimes control becomes a pain in the neck, so I change that to "necessary management requirements" it is my way of proving the control system works.
Best of luck in 4 weeks.I also think your right " we all get a bit complacent " in fact I think we need to as we are human.
:):)

annelise

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unfriendly and bigotted persons; i.e. persons who do not have an open or enquiring mind - but all within reason - persons may have a reason to appear as such - we will never know their backgrounds or where they come from ...
Good luck Lenny and keep up with your endevour - and only kick your your 'rear end' gently. Sometimes we will just have a period where we find it difficult to manage as we would wish - whether.the reason is mental or caused by circumstances.

This December I went to VietNam for two weeks - no way to eat low carb foods there - so at one time I stopped to measure bgs - they were sky-rocketing but I had to eat! - I use to have good control, but that gadding about showed itself clearly in my latest HbA1c! (But the foods were lovely, though ... - so I finally just chose to enjoy ...)

annelise

Reactions: 2 people

Karen.G.

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Took me three months to go from 119 to 66. Hoping for a lot less when I go back next month. Now you know what you are up against you will be fine. Well done at getting back into testing and good luck at getting back in control.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
The Ramipril is to prevent any or further kidney damage.

popsy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Crowds of people, my idea of hell would be a huge gathering of any sort!

Heights, scare me to death!
Liars, cheats. poseurs, any kind of violence, thieves and people who take advantage of others.

The way the world is going to hell in a handbasket.

Global warming, the melting ice caps, whaling..I mean what for?!

Cruelty

Having to give up my eat everything philosophy..and I really really dislike consequences.
Go Lenny! And yes, kicks up the bum aren't nice and they hurt too! What's worse I reckon is that it's you who mostly does the kicking. :)

It takes a lot of hard work to get back to where we used to be and I honestly do believe that's it's just horrible having to go down that same path again, see the same and not better figures but it does get easier in the end and really, what choice do we have?

Go on or go back, No brainer really isn't it?

Good luck :watching:

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
Well in my attempt to get my BG back to where they were, Im struggling with highs in the morning. Im in the 12's till close to lunchtime when its come down to around 8-9. Im thinking my breakfast of greek yog and rhubarb is perhaps just too much at the minute. So after searching the internet I came across the idea of making mini quiches(no pastry) in a muffin tin and keeping them in the fridge. I think this is a great idea as I don't have the time to make scrambled eggs so this weekend I'm making a batch of mini cheese and bacon quiches for next weeks breakfast. Hopefully those numbers will come down then.

Reactions: 2 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have some mini (12.5cm diameter) flan/quiche dishes from ebay that I bought for cooking my pastry-less quiches in the microwave; it doesn't take long to cook them, and they keep Ok for a couple of days in the fridge. I eat them for lunches, but have also thought about just eating a half one for breakfast.

Good luck with your new regime - at least you know what you've been doing "wrong"!!

Robbity

miriamy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Medics who tell you what to do.
Politicians who blame people for being poor and praise bankers for being rich.
TV
Butter Beans
Well in my attempt to get my BG back to where they were, Im struggling with highs in the morning. Im in the 12's till close to lunchtime when its come down to around 8-9. Im thinking my breakfast of greek yog and rhubarb is perhaps just too much at the minute. So after searching the internet I came across the idea of making mini quiches(no pastry) in a muffin tin and keeping them in the fridge. I think this is a great idea as I don't have the time to make scrambled eggs so this weekend I'm making a batch of mini cheese and bacon quiches for next weeks breakfast. Hopefully those numbers will come down then.

I like the mini pastryless quiche idea. I make scrambled egg by breaking an egg straight into the cold pan, beat with fork as it heats. Add pepper and eat. Takes about 2 mins. For me, Its preparing the salad that takes time.

Serena51

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
bigots, racists, homophobes
Lenny, thankyou for making me feel better. I had an absolutely dreadful April, emotional problems and just ate to compensate but all the most dreadful things..... Then beat myself up for failing.

Will now kick my own butt and get back onside.

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
I'm glad if my slip up can help others too.

My mini quiches are lovely. I'm going to freeze one and see if its still nice once defrosted. If that works then I can make bigger batches and freeze them.

I also made strawberry ice cream last night. I figure if I have these nice and not so naughty things I'll be less likely to slip again. Choc orange ice cream next I think. then mint choc chip.......good job I have a big freezer.

miriamy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Medics who tell you what to do.
Politicians who blame people for being poor and praise bankers for being rich.
TV
Butter Beans
I'm glad if my slip up can help others too.

My mini quiches are lovely. I'm going to freeze one and see if its still nice once defrosted. If that works then I can make bigger batches and freeze them.

I also made strawberry ice cream last night. I figure if I have these nice and not so naughty things I'll be less likely to slip again. Choc orange ice cream next I think. then mint choc chip.......good job I have a big freezer.

I too, make my own ice cream. Everyone loves it and so do I! I have to admit that the upside of having D - if there is one! - is that a foodie like me can continue to be into food and cooking.

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
Yeah I do cook and bake more now. Just need to keep it up though its too easy to become lazy and buy cheap ****. Will power!