On Insulin but BG still rising.

Bertybean

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I was recently put on Levemir by my consultant @8u daily but it didn't seem to change my readings.He then upped it to 12u daily and my levels went up not down now he has put me on 16u daily and I am a bit worried it might go up even more. Has anybody else had this happen to them and if so what did you do?
I also take 320g Gliclazide and 2x 1g sr metformin I was thinking maybe one of them is reacting with the Levemir.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
In type 1's it's common for levemir users to be on twice daily injections as this insulin often doesn't give a full 24 hour coverage and only lasts 18 hours max, might be worth mentioning this to your consultant or ask if you can try Lantus instead which is another basal insulin, alternatively ask about Tresiba that just came on the market last year.

Bertybean

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Thanks for the advice Noblehead but I am in fact a type 2 have been for 10 years but control has gotten away from me lately. I haven't heard of Tresiba but if it is in the same group of meds as Victoza and Linagliptin I have tried them and they made me ill.Lantus might be worth a try though.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Are you overweight? Having insulin whilst insulin resistant thru excess weight is not ideal as you are adding to an excess of insulin already in the blood. Are you low-carbing? If overweight (Victoza is the hint) then do try to get that down and the insulin needed will be lower and more predictable?

Bertybean

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Hi. Are you overweight? Having insulin whilst insulin resistant thru excess weight is not ideal as you are adding to an excess of insulin already in the blood. Are you low-carbing? If overweight (Victoza is the hint) then do try to get that down and the insulin needed will be lower and more predictable?
Thanks Daibell yes I am overweight and don't low carb at the moment as DN and Dietitian keep telling me I need carbs while I am on Insulin and Gliclazide. I would like to start but fear hypo and am fairly useless when it comes to meal planning. Thanks for the advice.

gfgeoff

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the advice Noblehead but I am in fact a type 2 have been for 10 years but control has gotten away from me lately. I haven't heard of Tresiba but if it is in the same group of meds as Victoza and Linagliptin I have tried them and they made me ill.Lantus might be worth a try though.
Hi just wondered how linagliptin effected you I have just been prescribed the same
Cheers geoff

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App