Prof Roy Taylor alternative diet - 35lbs in 6 months

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I've just been reading the Newcastle Diet thread a few posts down.

One interesting link is
http://www.ncl.ac.uk/magres/research/diabetes/documents/Diabetes-Reversaloftype2study.pdf
which says

"Practical advice

 The particular diet used in the study was designed to mimic the sudden reduction of calorie intake
that occurs after gastric bypass surgery. By using such a vigorous approach, we were testing
whether we could reverse diabetes in a similar short time period to that observed after surgery.

 The essential point is that substantial weight loss must be achieved. The time course of weight
loss is much less important.

 It is a simple fact that the fat stored in the wrong parts of the body (inside the liver and pancreas)
is used up first when the body has to rely upon its own stores of fat to burn. Any pattern of eating
which brings about substantial weight loss over a period of time will be effective. Different
approaches suit different individuals best.

 It is also very important to emphasise that sustainability of weight loss is the most important thing
to ensure that diabetes stays away after the initial weight loss. Previous research has shown that
steady weight loss over a 5 – 6 month period is more likely to be successful in keeping weight
down in the long term. For this reason, ordinary steady weight loss may be preferable. However,
if you are not able to lose around 2½ stone over, say, six months by this approach, then the very
low calorie diet may be best for you.

"

So an alternative approach is to lose 2.5 stone or 35 lbs in six months.
My calculator suggests that this is equivalent to losing a pound every five days.

This sounds quite hopeful - I am on a LCHF kick accompanied by exercise and I am currently losing weight at about a pound a week.
I am drinking a reasonable (to me) amount of alcohol and the food I am eating keeps me satisfied and not hungry.
So I feel that this might be a long term sustainable eating strategy, and I assume that if I am losing weight now that if I get my weight right down and then maintain the eating plan then the weight should stay off.

It would also be good to establish if I can flush out my pancreas and improve my insulin response if not restore normal insulin production levels.

Now I need to lose weight a bit faster, but it looks to me as if I did a week on the Newcastle Diet this would flush out my liver and take some weight off quickly, then the rest of the month on my normal diet would show if I would still lose weight as I am doing at the moment.

If this turns out to be the case then I would expect that I could do a macro version of the 5:2 diet by going very low calorie one week a month over six months and hit the target of a 35lb weight loss.

Now the hard part.

I am six foot tall and currently weigh 12 stone 9 lbs.
So my target weight would be 10 stone 2 lbs.
This is pretty scary, although within 'normal' weight for me on the BMI tables.
The bottom of 'normal' for my age, sex and height is 9 stone 10 lbs which gives me a whole 6 lbs before I would be officially 'underweight'.

More hopefully, if I consider that I started my long term weight loss at around 13 stone 4 lbs (which I was in February) then my target might be a slightly less scary 10 stone 11 lbs.

Whatever, according to the Prof,

"Could it work for people with a normal BMI?

 Yes, most certainly, provided that the diagnosis of type 2 diabetes is correct. Some people are
unable to cope with even moderate amounts of fat in their liver and pancreas. Type 2 diabetes
only happens when a Personal Fat Threshold is exceeded. Losing weight within the range which
is “normal” for the general population is then essential for health.

"

So I am shooting for some unknown "Personal Fat Threshold" which is expected to be somewhere within a 2.5 stone range below my current weight.

I can well believe that I have excess fat around my internal organs.
As I lose weight it seems to be coming mainly off my waist/belly and if I could get back to a 32" waist measurement I remember from my late teens this would surely be a good thing.

Anyway, after my six month review next week I am going to go for it.

My initial target will be to get down to 11 stone 7 lbs which was my late teens weight.

At that point I will take a very long look at my BG control and decide how much lower to go.

Cheers

LGC

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's an average of 15% weight loss. But, people are very differentand whilat some people might need to lose 25%, others will be successful with 5%.

But yes, weight loss is the key and the speed of weight loss is less important.

Also, he writes elsewhere:

"The role of physical activity must be considered. Increased levels of daily activity bring about decreases in liver fat stores and a single bout of exercise substantially decreases both de novo lipogenesis and plasma VLDL. Several studies demonstrated that calorie control combined with exercise is much more successful than calorie restriction alone. However, exercise programs alone produce no weight loss for overweight middle-aged people. The necessary initial major loss of body weight demands a substantial reduction in energy intake. After weight loss, steady weight is most effectively achieved by a combination of dietary restriction and physical activity. Both aerobic and resistance exercise are effective. The critical factor is sustainability."

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Why not try the original 5:2? Several of my diabetic friends are doing it and all claim their bg control is much better, possibly due to less fat in liver/pancreas. Non of are doing proper low carb so I assume the effect of fasting will be more noticeable in their cases though.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Have tried 5:2 and I didn't seem to lose that much weight - my current regime seems much more effective.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
To further expand a brief response.

My understanding of the 5:2 is to trick your body into not realising that you are on a calorie restricted diet.
So you eat 600 kcals a day for 2 days which should remove some weight, then "eat what you like" for 5 days to reassure your body.
Although I lost a bit when I first started, after few weeks I found that the "eat what you like" seemed to be cancelling out the two days of fasting.
It seemed to encourage me to have little treats because I was on 5:2.

As I am at the moment on a reduced calorie increased exercise diet (although I am not calorie counting) I am assuming that my body is already into fat burning in a slow but steady way and so might not be so readily fooled by the 5:2.
I'm not sure what rate 5:2 is supposed to take the weight off, but I am currently losing 1 lb a week.

So I am favouring the week of fasting to let my body know that I am not messing about then a resumption of the sensible eating plan with no treats.

If this causes me problems then another attempt at 5:2 might be on the cards.

Cheers

LGC

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
But if you combine 5:2 with LCHF?

I think we are made for occasional fasting and 5:2 seems a reasonable way to do it health wise, not necessarily for weight loss.

We certainly weren't made for three meals a day plus snacks.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
:)

If you watched the program with Ray Mears and an Aboriginal tribe then we are probably built for continual grazing with the occasional big meal.

Oh, and if you read my other threads you will realise that I am already on a LCHF diet.

Last edited by a moderator:

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
"Continual grazing with the occasional big meal "

That got me fat and diabetic! I think it is what you eat rather than quantity.

Cara

skal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This is interesting, as I am pondering whether to combine 5:2 with low carbing. As I have a lot of weight to lose and steadily increasing blood sugars, I tried the 5:2 last year and found it really good for my sugars. I restricted my calorie intake to 1800 but lost the plot before having time to see any real weight related benefit. So, now I'm thinking to combine the two as my fasting days were always protein and veg... In conjunction with restricted carb intake (which is the only "diet" that has really worked with me), fasting could be interesting! I need to test to see how my meds may need altering though...