Student needs 1 min of your time with competition concept to help Neuropathy patients

Type of diabetes
Researcher
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hello,

My name is Jessica and I am a 23 year old postgraduate student. I am entering a competition where you propose an idea in which you can win a grant to develop your concept further. Please, if you have one minute, could you watch the video via the links below. If you like the idea, please could you like and comment on the video. You don't have to register or give ANY details in the slightest - you just need to click once to vote. It would be very much appreciated.

http://bit.ly/1jEuW2c

https://www.facebook.com/LondonMetStudentEnterprise/posts/625557087521139

I'm sure many of you are aware that Diabetic Neuropathy can lead to serious complications, including lower limb amputations. Our concept is to create a sensing device that will monitor plantar pressure in the feet and blood flow to the feet, in order to advice patients if they are placing an unhealthy amount of pressure on their feet, and to alert them before injuries occur. This will help to prevent further damage, thus lowering the risk of lower limb amputations.

This phase of the competition that myself and my team need votes for is just the initial 'idea' stage. The next step for us will be to come up with the design and technology behind the concept. We will be working with the Motion and Gait Laboratory at the Postgraduate Medical Institute, where we are able to use their state-of-the-art equipment to help create our device. However we need a high number of votes to get to that stage.

I posted the idea on here a few weeks ago, and we took the feedback and modified the idea slightly. So we really appreciate the feedback.

Please could you spare one minute of your time to watch the video and vote.

Kind Regards,

Jessica Rowbury

Randburg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grey Cats
Hi,
Not everyone who had diabetes has a smart phone ?
I have a computer and cell phone

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I didn't realise that neuropathic foot amputations could be caused by posture and I guess pressure sores? I thought it was due to undetected foot wounds due to lack of pain sensation?

Anyway sounds like a cool project.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

M&AQueen

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree with Randburg - even if I was interested, there's no way to vote via PC - I'm not on facebook and refuse to join and have no desire to register with twitter. So the first thing you need to do is to consider your market if you wish to canvass opinion While Type 1 diabetes is a disease which starts at an earlier age (and are thus statistically likely to be more technologically aware/resourced/efficient), Type 2 remains later onset.

More information is also needed - I note this is a business enterprise project with leaders holding PhD, MBA and UG qualifications - but not a single medical qualification is shown - medical research should be conducted by medics - not a student project which makes exceptionally ambitious claims.

"The Beataflow Leg Band" will immediately alert the patient before injury occurs, which will prevent foot ulceration and consequent amputations". Based on these claims, there is a real and substantive risk that a patient could become 'dependent' on the machine, whilst ignoring the reality. Many foot/toe injuries are initially a result of accidents(which the patient cannot actually feel due to neuropathy) and which the machine cannot possibly predict - at this point, the ONLY thing is daily foot care/monitoring, etc.

Reactions: 2 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
So the first thing you need to do is to consider your market if you wish to canvass opinion While Type 1 diabetes is a disease which starts at an earlier age (and are thus statistically likely to be more technologically aware/resourced/efficient), Type 2 remains later onset.

Two thirds of us T1s are old fogies like myself. We start young, but we get old like everyone else. That means that conservatively 96% of the target audience are too old to have pimples and therefore can't automatically be assumed to have social mejah accounts like Facebook.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App