Inject and eat

SarahEldib

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi
Diagnosed Type 1 a few months ago, and wondering why we can't just inject and relatively eat what we like? One of the endocrinologists I tried gave me a list of tons of things I'm not allowed to touch, even with bolus. I understand that if something has a lot of fat in it, it will slow the sugar releasing process and so on, so can't we just split the dose (half before meal half an hour after meal?). I'm not saying we should go mad and have a whole cake but why can't we indulge once or twice a week? It's really frustrating going out with friends, I usually end up eating the most unappetizing thing on the menu because it's my safest option.

Danny Prince

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
My Likes
You can eat whatever you like, It's recommended not to have High-carb drinks as they would just spike your levels + its hard to match insulin to them but they should be the only things not recommended to have, everything else should be fine for you have, I suggest looking into doing a DAFNE Course, It basically does explain that you're allowed to eat what you would like as long as you're matching your insulin, You shouldn't have to go with your safest option and if you really wanted you could eat the whole cake, as long you match your insulin theres no problem with doing that

SarahEldib

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I looked it up and there's no DAFNE in Egypt (where I live) but gives me a bit of hope to know there's an entire team of diabetes pros saying your meals don't have to be a complete misery, so thanks Danny :)

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I saw on youtube tutorial that with pizza you split the dose because of the long digestion of the carb/fat and it's called the pizza effect, It was with a pump and I don't remember any details of the dosing rates

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Your endo doesn't seem to be the best around. Yes, you can eat virtually anything you like when on insulin BUT you will gain weight if you have too many carbs. Making exceptions every so often is fine as long as you match the carbs. Having fat will slow absorption and some people delay taking their insulin for that meal until, say, after the meal.

SarahEldib

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
And if you figure out what you're doing there's really no harm in a big dose of insulin for a big meal? I don't mean hypo risks, I mean just a big dose in itself? Thanks a lot

You're right about the endo DaibellI, I stopped going to her 2 months ago she was clueless.

Danny Prince

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
My Likes
And if you figure out what you're doing there's really no harm in a big dose of insulin for a big meal? I don't mean hypo risks, I mean just a big dose in itself? Thanks a lot

You're right about the endo DaibellI, I stopped going to her 2 months ago she was clueless.

No there isn't any harm in a big dose, as long as if its correct, however people do have troubles with control when it comes to big doses, but once you know the right amount for you for what you eat, it should be fine i imagine, its just a matter of finding out what each food does to your levels and which ones spike them and which don't but once you find the right balance theres no harm at all in a big dose - sorry if that doesn't make sense it did when i wrote it 0-o

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sarah your endo does not sound too bad. Here in the UK they go to the opposite extreme and encourage us to eat more or anything. There is a middle way which is exactly as you suggest - be careful generally but don't live like a monk. If you have something which is high in carbs, be sure to test afterwards and correct (with insulin or glucose) if required. Bigger doses do lead to bigger errors, that's just arithmetic.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

SarahEldib

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Spiker and thanks, the problem was that endo stopped the basal and increased the mixed insulin to be taken at times of day when I wouldn't need it for example at 10 pm. So, I'd have to eat a big meal right before bed and starve all day because I wasn't allowed any insulin near lunch time or dinnertime. When I asked why I couldn't split that dose between dinner and supper she said "that's not good for your skin". So, conclusion: either high levels/ starving all day or near coma hypo at night.

Sonnyb2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
None
Along as u don't take the nick on how much chocolate u can still have chocolate 6 squares a week

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App